Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Question: Licks tour San Francisco
Posted by: southboundtrain ()
Date: April 19, 2007 02:05

Why was there no theatre show in San Francisco during the 2002 tour. The Bay Area has shown hella (California lingo) love for the Stones over the years. There are plenty of small venues in San Francisco. Does anyone know?

Re: Question: Licks tour San Francisco
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 19, 2007 02:13

because California had already got a theatre show - in LA

The arena show in Oakland had a setlist as good as many a theatre show anyway.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 19, 2007 02:30

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>> The arena show in Oakland had a setlist as good as
> many a theatre show anyway.

you got that right!
it had a mini iorr set
it had an exile set
and heart of stone just to name a few songs...

Date: April 19, 2007 02:37

Still, LA and San Francisco are totally different markets and in different parts of the state: southern and northern California, respectively. I know about the Oakland setlist. There has to be more to the story.

Gazza, by the way, who is the IORR poster who goes by "Guzza?" What's the deal with that?

Date: April 19, 2007 02:58

Nothin to do with me, but Erik's replies in that thread were hilarious....

anyway - I know they're in different parts of the state, but these things are done regionally. Its not like every main market got 3 types of shows

Only 5 areas got them - New York, Boston, Philly, Chicago, LA (Toronto got it too but their club show was the warm up gig 2 months earlier). Washington was supposed to get one as I recall but sales for the stadium show there were slower than they'd predicted so they played an arena show in Hartford instead.

Date: April 19, 2007 03:02

Gazza, What is the link or name of that thread? I'd like to see it.

Date: April 19, 2007 03:04

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 19, 2007 03:17

I was at the Licks arena show in Oakland. Indeed it was a great show with the heavy on Exile material. They do always seem to love playing in the Bay Area and have turned in some memorable shows here. But like Southbound said....Wev'e never gotten a theatre show. At this point I seriously doubt we ever will. Oh well,I'd settle for an arena show as good as those on the No Security tour and Licks tour.smiling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: euromik ()
Date: April 19, 2007 04:14

If you go way back to the days of my youth here in the Bay Area, we did get 4 shows at our beloved Winterland during the smokin' 72 tour. Somewhat bigger than a club/theater, but still a fantastic place to see the Stones.

Date: April 19, 2007 05:01

What is also interesting is that nearby Sacramento, now seen more as a second-tier market, got shows in '64, '65, and '66.

Date: April 19, 2007 05:21

Yeah that is a little wierd Southbound. Sac,was where Keith almost got electrocuted to death....Which is probably why they didn't go back for a long time.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 19, 2007 07:19

Yes, sweet, my brother was at the Keith electrocution show. He was also at Altamont.

I have a few comments.

Gazza, Northern and Southern California are like two different countries. I don't think you can even describe them as one "region." There is a fair amount of animosity, especially from those of us who grew up in the north, towards the south. It's politics, culture, sports (especially that).

The Bay Area has shown huge support for the Stones over the years. There were FOUR stadium shows in Oakland on the Voodoo tour and again four during the Bridges tour. I don't know that any other stop on those tours could match that.

Yet, they only had two stadium shows in The City (san fran) on Licks (along with Oakland Arena) and struggled to sell both stadium shows on ABB. I don't understand why they went from four to two shows. Still, not bad.

Sacramento (my home town) sold out the first arena show on No Security that they quickly added a second. First time they had played Sactown since '66, I believe. You would think they would play Sac more often, not so. Usually, they figure the Sacto population will travel to the Bay Area or consider them as a part of the larger Bay Area market, which is true, at least in part.

The Plexiglass

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: April 19, 2007 07:29

Hey Plexi, I don't know why I thought you were from Montana! I'm from the Bay Area and have been to all the awesome shows from Sacro to SF to Oakland to San Jose for every tour since Voodoo Lounge haven't missed a show in the Bay Area. Oakland Arena was one of the best... Fresno close behind.

Did you end up getting your tickets for Spain?

Date: April 19, 2007 07:52

I moved from Calif to Montana in 1983. Grew up in Sac, to college in Berkeley. First show Cow Palace 75.

But I go home frequently and since the Candlestick shows in 81, have only missed Oakland Steel Wheels but have seen them in Oakland or SF on every tour since, mostly 2 shows per Bay Area stop. Then Denver a lot as it is closer. But this tour, coast to coast, Europe and the UK 16 shows and counting.

check my other post regarding Spain tix: yes!!

plexiglass

Date: April 19, 2007 11:58

>Gazza, Northern and Southern California are like two different countries. I don't think you can even describe them as one "region." There is a fair amount of animosity, especially from those of us who grew up in the north, towards the south. It's politics, culture, sports (especially that).

er...I'm not defining the 'region' - the Stones are, when choosing where to play. Point being there were other areas with a lot of people which didnt get a theatre show. They only played five or six theatre shows - LA got the west coast one. Vegas got one as well, so that somewhat negated the point of them doing another in that side of the country.

I seriously doubt your differing sports, politics and culture are a significant factor in where the Stones choose to play a theatre show.

Date: April 20, 2007 00:06

N. California has losts of venues. there was also the san jose show in 03. In some ways It does seem like we were "snubbed" compared to other tours on ABB, but not when you consider that there was the Fresno show. Thats a big part of the market share. a lot Those folks would have ended up going to SF if thats where the show was, and it was even more appealing to them since it was in or closer to their hometown.

Date: April 20, 2007 04:11

timbernardis Wrote:
> Yes, sweet, my brother was at the Keith
> electrocution show. He was also at Altamont.
>
> I have a few comments.
>
> Gazza, Northern and Southern California are like
> two different countries. I don't think you can
> even describe them as one "region." There is a
> fair amount of animosity, especially from those of
> us who grew up in the north, towards the south.
> It's politics, culture, sports (especially that)
>
>
> The Plexiglass

Very good knowledge of the California scene Plexi. You are dead on when it comes to the animosity between the north and south parts of the state and espicially sports. Although it seems to be more NorCal in that regard. I mean when an LA team comes up here you always hear a beat LA chant. But in LA they don't say beat SF. Mostly because they don't care. Another reason to dislike SoCal. They also steal all our water.

Nice to see the Bay Area so well represented on here.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: April 20, 2007 04:40

The bay area getting arena shows in 1999, 2002 and 2003 (5 total) is nice. And a bunch of stadium shows. And, they did seem to be trying to raise the bar on the Nov. 2002 Oakland Arena show in regards to giving a special song list. So, sure I am sad to not see a small theater show- but there have been some great shows (with many arenas). Plus, Vegas is only an hour away by plane.

My number one hatred in life is the L.A. Dodgers (okay, we are only talking about sports though). It is inbred in Northern California natives. Plus, my mom was a hardcore S.F. giants fan.

Date: April 20, 2007 04:41

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> timbernardis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yes, sweet, my brother was at the Keith
> > electrocution show. He was also at Altamont.
> >
> > I have a few comments.
> >
> > Gazza, Northern and Southern California are
> like
> > two different countries. I don't think you can
> > even describe them as one "region." There is a
> > fair amount of animosity, especially from those
> of
> > us who grew up in the north, towards the south.
>
> > It's politics, culture, sports (especially
> that)
> >
> >
> > The Plexiglass
>
>
>
> Very good knowledge of the California scene Plexi.
> You are dead on when it comes to the animosity
> between the north and south parts of the state and
> espicially sports. Although it seems to be more
> NorCal in that regard. I mean when an LA team
> comes up here you always hear a beat LA chant. But
> in LA they don't say beat SF. Mostly because they
> don't care. Another reason to dislike SoCal. They
> also steal all our water.
>
> Nice to see the Bay Area so well represented on
> here.

Yes, I was going to mention the water, but I let it fall generally under politics.

"Very good knowledge of the California scene Plexi." Of course, I am a northern California native, I go back home a lot, and I still consider myself part (northern) Californian. I have a lot of family and friends there (and I must digustingly admit that I even have a bunch of cousins in the southland). When USC came up to play Cal in football, the Cal student rooting section, me included, would throw all kinds of stuff at the marching Trojan band during halftime at Memorial Stadium -- fruit, water balloons, etc. Go Bears!

The Plexiglass -- from Sacramento, then Berkeley, then Crow Agency, Montana, then London in August 2007!

Date: April 20, 2007 04:44

dougie Wrote:
> The bay area getting arena shows in 1999, 2002 and
> 2003 (5 total) is nice. And a bunch of stadium
> shows. And, they did seem to be trying to raise
> the bar on the Nov. 2002 Oakland Arena show in
> regards to giving a special song list. So, sure I
> am sad to not see a small theater show- but there
> have been some great shows (with many arenas).
> Plus, Vegas is only an hour away by plane.
>
> My number one hatred in life is the L.A. Dodgers
> (okay, we are only talking about sports though).
> It is inbred in Northern California natives. Plus,
> my mom was a hardcore S.F. giants fan.

I agree with ya Dougie. Duck the Fodgers!!sad smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2007 05:28

As a native Southern Californian, I say you northerners should stay up there with your cold, wet, and windy climate,
while we here in the south will bask in the warm sun, and continue to be on the cutting edge of anything culturally significant in the state.
And by the way, thanks for the water! Stay warm and dry up there.smiling smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 20, 2007 05:29

let's not get carried away - the setlist was theatre-lite at best. good performance. but, the atmosphere of the theatre cannot be recreated in an arena - and it wasn't. the original question on this thread remains valid - we got screwed.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: April 20, 2007 05:54

any one who gets a theatre show has the gods on their side. It is very rare.
In SF, back in '81 it was heavily rumored that they would play at the Old Waldorf (later called Wolfgang's) which was the club owned by Bill Graham (the promotor of that tour). The bartender was a friend of a good friend. I was inside there two nights in a row waiting. The stage was set and the Stones roadies were there, hundreds of people outside lined up to buy tickets, but it just did not happen. The best explanation was that the Stones were seriously considering it but if they did it, it was going to be a last minute thing.

Date: April 20, 2007 06:03

I saw Brian Wislons last Pet sounds show at Oakalnd's Parmount Theatre last jan. that would be a fantastic venue to see the stones. A lot of times you hear "Not a bad seat in the house. Well, at that place its really true. I know because I personaly checked by sitting in every single seat before the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-20 06:12 by ryanpow.

Date: April 20, 2007 06:33

Hairball Wrote:
> As a native Southern Californian, I say you
> northerners should stay up there with your cold,
> wet, and windy climate,
> while we here in the south will bask in the warm
> sun, and continue to be on the cutting edge of
> anything culturally significant in the state.
> And by the way, thanks for the water! Stay warm
> and dry up there.smiling smiley

Northern california is comparativley wetter than so cal, and the winters are colder, but to generalize it as being windy and wet is a gross exaggeration. Now, the city of san francisco is foggy and crappy most of the time and you will find that to be true right along the coast from about Santa Cruz north. but most of northern california has a medeteranian climate, similar to spain. and at least we have trees! and as far as the cultural stuff goes, Im not even going to dignify that with a response.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-20 06:35 by ryanpow.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 20, 2007 06:43

... you tell em hairball,,,,

let them keep there animosity and resentments inside the stadiums.....

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 20, 2007 06:45

hairball's got a hairball stuck no doubt. the SF Bay Area in general has the best weather in California - and, the best part is that you can actually breathe in the air without fear of polluting your lungs....

Date: April 20, 2007 06:48

and we also got the best weeeeeed man!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2007 07:27

Yes, I'll give you that much. There's nothing finer than Northern California buds.

Though having been to Amsterdam several times the last few years, they seem to be kicking it up a notch above.
They're like rocket scientists dedicationg their lives to create the perfect weed.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: April 20, 2007 17:58

And if you cross the Golden Gate Bridge the sun almost always is shining!

And yes, Vegas is close so every show the Stones have played there for years I have been too. Love the MGM Grand venue.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1585
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home