Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Live Sound -- As Exciting As Ever
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 18, 2007 02:06

In today's world of quick-release boots, the novelty and excitement of today's live shows have lost their feeling of "specialness", that's a given.

However, when the sound is good and the band is good, I get just as big a kick out of listening to Saitama or Glasgow as I did when I first heard the live Stones on the radio in 1974.

Sure, we're faded and jaded and many of us are nearing 50, but the Stones have aged better than most of us could ever hope to.

C'mon, boomers, our kids are going to see them now. Strangely, I find some resentment amongst you folks. There's no reason for it. Revel in the present, don't dwell on the past. Just because you gave up and gotten old doesn't mean our idols of youth have to follow suit.

We're all growing older. Get over it and live a little.

Re: The Live Sound -- As Exciting As Ever
Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 18, 2007 02:18

To me, every Stones tour, every gig i see, every single moment i live with them, is a marvellous celebration. They move me as ever!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 18, 2007 02:54

Right On!
Great post...it is so exciting waiting to see what they played and how the did it...and both the shows you mentioned are fantastic! I can't wait to hear the rested boys rip it up in Europe! I just wish I could be there!!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 18, 2007 03:00

Nice try..and they still are great,,,but, we must be honest--it aint like 69 and startin out with JJ Flash...is just isnt....

JT

Date: April 18, 2007 03:14

stone-relics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice try..and they still are great,,,but, we must
> be honest--it aint like 69 and startin out with JJ
> Flash...is just isnt....
>
> JT

No, it isn't 1969, and it never will be again. I don't know how old you are, JT, but I'm not 25 anymore. It ISN'T new anymore -- it's almost like being married. The thrill is familiar, but rewarding just the same. You find new ways to keep it interesting.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 18, 2007 03:34

....bassplayer, I don't mean any disrespect bro,' but I'm having trouble following you here.....I'm not sure what your point is......Who do you find resentful, and resentful of what? that our kids are going to see the Stones?....that you think we think the Stones have aged better than us? (which is your opinion, not mine).......anyway....I love the Stones' music.....and I love the excitement of a live Stones show......and I enjoy listening to live boots...we do agree on these points don't we?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 18, 2007 03:36

God, and I am glad it isn't 1969! they have moved on and are different men now, and play differently, and thank goodness for that, otherwise this would be a board full of groaning about how predictable they have become...
They are now truely a touring band and seem far more comfortable with the whole production and happy. The nice thing is a lot of the pretense and pomp is gone!And they seem far more relaxed and accesable. Just enjoy and have fun!

Date: April 18, 2007 04:59

Lukester Wrote:
> ....bassplayer, I don't mean any disrespect bro,'
> but I'm having trouble following you here.....I'm
> not sure what your point is......Who do you find
> resentful, and resentful of what? that our kids
> are going to see the Stones?....that you think we
> think the Stones have aged better than us? (which
> is your opinion, not mine).......anyway....I love
> the Stones' music.....and I love the excitement of
> a live Stones show......and I enjoy listening to
> live boots...we do agree on these points don't we?

I'm not gonna mention any names, Lukester, but we see it nearly every day. Folks who are desperate to recapture the past. The worst are those who wanna see Taylor and/or Wyman come back. They quit the band -- get over it, for Chrissakes.

And yes, an excellent live boot, from whatever era, is something to be treasured.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 18, 2007 07:35

....... they have become basically a theater circuit band,, working for money.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 18, 2007 10:22

So what did they work for in 69 ? ...a crate of beer and some fried chicken ?

Professional musicians work for money. [apparently a surprise for some folks.]

They may well enjoy working and many would no doubt do it for free...but they work for money. Get over it ;^)

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: April 18, 2007 10:31

stone-relics Wrote:
> Nice try..and they still are great,,,but, we must
> be honest--it aint like 69 and startin out with JJ
> Flash...is just isnt....
>
> JT

Every time you make love to your woman, it's not as fres, earth shattering exciting and new as your first time, but you're happy you still perform...

;-)

And while I'm at it, does she scream, when you... perform...? (From the famous KR-quote...)

Jelle

Posted by: roddles74 ()
Date: April 18, 2007 13:43

I've seen them 3 times now...once I was 2 metres (6 feet) from the band playing IORR and nearly caught Charlie's drum stick. No big deal I know but I'll never get tired of this band playing live. As long as I get the reaction I get seeing them live, I'll pay for it!

The reaction I've seen from 15 yo kids with another 2 generations in tow after a concert confirms this...the Stones still ROCK!!

Despite 69-77 being my favourite period and being bitter, twisted and jaded because I was too young or not even born yet - IT AIN"T GONNA HAPPEN AGAIN! MOVE ON!

ROD

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 18, 2007 13:57

I love the muted guitars and that fine guitar weaving it sure makes the live sound as exciting when they had the Vibrato. LOL

Question :

Two guitars playing rhythm one in standard and the other in open weaving in and out sounding pretty much the same,or two guitars that have contrast what is more exciting to listen to live.If you would rather watch them rather then listen then today's current sound might move you or Chuck Leavell high in the mix carrying the band.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 18, 2007 14:26

OpenG Wrote:
> Question :
>
> Two guitars playing rhythm one in standard and the
> other in open weaving in and out sounding pretty
> much the same,or two guitars that have contrast
> what is more exciting to listen to live.If you
> would rather watch them rather then listen then
> today's current sound might move you or Chuck
> Leavell high in the mix carrying the band.

Easy. I'd take the latter for the simple reason that it's the original sounding Stones sound.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 18, 2007 14:33

bassplayer617 Wrote:
Folks who are desperate
> to recapture the past. The worst are those who
> wanna see Taylor and/or Wyman come back. They
> quit the band -- get over it, for Chrissakes.
>
> And yes, an excellent live boot, from whatever
> era, is something to be treasured.

With all due respect, my fine WV brother, I'm not desperate to recapture the past, live very much in the present, and don't expect MT/BW to return. However, when I want to listen to the World's Greatest Rock N Roll band I put-on Happy Birthday Nicky and bathe in the VIBRATO. That's not to say that I'm unappreciative of the current band, but "The Live Sound" is just not of the same quality. My humble opinion.....

Karl

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 18, 2007 14:41

yes they started as a blues band doing covers thank you Brian and then wrote pop songs to match the beatles(thank you Andrew L your vision of what the stones needed to do) and then became the greatest rock and roll live act with mick taylor on lead guitar changing the live sound to a killer blusier sound .
Have to admit Keith sure sounded great playing along with Taylor.

They have not matched that sound live after taylor left if they did I would be playing those boots but 1972/1973 still are their greatest work live and if I am going to spend my life listening to the stones thats the period I choose to
dive into.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 18, 2007 14:45

I dunno......
For example I like Jumping Jack Flash way better the way they do it today....

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: April 19, 2007 08:51

ive seen 14 shows since 1981 in the us, including the beacon show. fort lauderdale 2006 was the best of them, they still crank shit on a good night

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: April 19, 2007 16:29

could not agree more,the stones delivered some of there best shows ever in 06,msg1,ft lauderdale,saitima,ac,baltimore ,just to name a few.jagger is on top of his game like never before.long live the worlds greatest band,and all my fellow fans.

john scialfa

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 19, 2007 17:25

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> I dunno......
> For example I like Jumping Jack Flash way better
> the way they do it today....

Yeah! Listen to Glasgow... Charlie's work in that number is indeed very interesting! It swings and rocks at the same time!

...what a drummer! What a band!!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 19, 2007 17:35

They have not matched that sound live after taylor left if?

78 tour?
81-82 tour?

Different band, different approach but still superb live

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 19, 2007 17:50

I agree they are top live nowdays, as exciting as ever. But my problem is not the departure of Taylor but Wyman. Darryl is very good but Bill Wyman is far better, unique, the best for The Rolling Stones. But I am satisfied though.

Posted by: Blackdog ()
Date: April 19, 2007 17:52

The Stones can still create a good vibe today, but if I had my choice I prefer the 72/73 tours. The music from that tour was when they were at their peak. Taylor was a major factor playing live on stage with the Stones in those years. That era seemed different for music. I like the Stones today but it feels too rehearsed and Vegas like. I liked their new album but they didn't play very many new songs when I saw them (7 times). I think I heard four new ones on the North American tour. I will be flying from New Jersey to London in August to see them again. Its always good to still hear them live though.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 19, 2007 18:09

Seeing them live is one thing, hearing boots is another. And I'll tell ya, every boot from 2005-06 I've heard, I've thrown away. From 1969-73, well, I got about 50 of them...

That said, there's no way they could sound like '69 today. That wouldn't be real, it wouldn't even be good. But they still sounded so much better and cooler back then.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 19, 2007 18:30

It depends on what you think is exciting. If you find what they do exciting, fine. I don't, but worse than that I find it uninteresting and artificial. The band has not moved on. Musically it has regressed. And it's trapped in its own little Peter Pan world of being the Rolling Stones. Where would pop trash "Don't Stop" fit on any of its fine albums? After "Sympathy?"

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: April 19, 2007 18:36

I don`t like new bootlegs, I`m more with the official releases.

And, back to the original subject.. I`m thrilled to next gig. You guys have mentioned so many times the roaring guitar mixes.. can`t wait!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1428
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home