Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Iggy on Stones
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 11, 2007 23:36

Excellent interview here:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Iggy: The day I got out of high school, no more haircuts. My haircuts had been enforced by my dad. I bought a bottle of Clairol Ultra Blue, dyed my hair platinum and started playing in a rock club full time: five sets a night, six nights a week, fifty-five bucks.

I started going wild -- getting drunk once in a while. Borrowed cars, crashing 'em. Got my first fingerprints and mug shot. And I was listening to two albums -- Bringing It All Back Home, by Bob Dylan, and The Rolling Stones Now! And maybe Out of Our Heads, by the Stones too.

Q: What was it about Dylan and the Stones that hooked you?

I was learning song construction. How to write, how to play. How to make it feel. Music should never be too good, too tight. It should excite you. The Stooges' music is supposed to make me feel good. And I've always had faith that if I feel good, others will. That faith has been tested [laughs].

Q: What did you learn -- and take -- from Mick Jagger and Jim Morrison when you started singing with the Stooges?

From Morrison, it was the way to stand at the mike -- the stance and the grab. He hung on the stand. Nobody else did that. The other thing was he might do anything -- and he doesn't respect you. You don't get respect for ten bucks -- sorry! From Mick Jagger, it would be his moving around while he performs the song. Also, the voice as an irritant. When he sang, it was the opposite of nice.

Re: Iggy on Stones
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 12, 2007 01:50

"Music should never be too good, to tight. It should excite you" - wow! This quote by Iggy lives up to even Keith's best ones!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: April 12, 2007 02:14

interview by an iorr-er; d.f.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 12, 2007 02:23

Here's another from the Canadian rock mag Exclaim in the April issue's questionnaire:

What has been your most memorable or inspirational gig and why?
Rolling Stones, 1969, Olympia Arena, Detroit, Michigan. Because of the brazen audacity with which the beat was unhurried and the guitar sound was entirely unsweetened. It was like a heroin pie in your face.

I remember Iggy mentioning in some other interview how he loved that the Stones used Ampegs instead of Marshalls like everybody else was doing ( including the Stooges) on the '69 tour. What a perceptive man ! Finally, consider that he dedicated his '83 autobiography of sorts 'I Need More' to his hero Keith Richards.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 12, 2007 03:12

whoa; great interview thnx...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-12 03:41 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Kartoffelsalat ()
Date: April 12, 2007 10:42

Iggy's cool. Always loved him. Some of his music isn't my cup of tea and stuff, but he's an interesting personality and always great to see him performing. He's a character.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-12 11:25 by Kartoffelsalat.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 12, 2007 11:18

I accidentally bumped into Funhouse yeaaaaars ago, and that was it, addicted! Top ten rock lps of all time. And the latest stuff is not bad at all.

Unfortunately I saw him only once live, one of the loudest concerts I've ever seen.

C

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 12, 2007 11:36

I love Three Stooges.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 12, 2007 14:06

Is the new Stooges album good? Haven't heard it yet.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 12, 2007 15:26

I've only their new album a couple of listens, but I think it's okay, but IMO it can't compete with their material from the late Sixties and early Seventies

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: April 12, 2007 22:48

The new album is pretty bad. Look for the cover track "You Better Run" from a year or two ago.

Date: April 12, 2007 23:29

I don't think it's bad, it's just got a lot to live up to. It's along the same lines as the Stooges tracks on SKULL RING but with a wider range.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2007 00:19

Return To The Fun House - Iggy Pop interviewed by Keith Cameron
MOJO 161 April 2007

ROCKMAN

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:59

On "Lust For Life" Iggy sounds like Bowie. Period.

Date: April 13, 2007 08:40

>On "Lust For Life" Iggy sounds like Bowie. Period.

Bowie co-wrote it (the song I mean; if you mean the album... he co-wrote most of it). As for the song Iggy credits Bowie with the signature riff (see interview).

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 13, 2007 08:48

Bowie's a real man, and I'm a real woman - just like Catherine Deneuve.
Iggy Pop

Frankly, I mean, sometimes the interpretations I've seen on some of the songs that I've written are a lot more interesting than the input that I put in.
David Bowie

To not be modest about it, you'll find that with only a couple of exceptions, most of the musicians that I've worked with have done their best work by far with me.
David Bowie

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

and interestingly:

I think Mick Jagger would be astounded and amazed if he realized that to many people he is not a sex symbol, but a mother image.
David Bowie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-13 08:56 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 13, 2007 16:29

The new Stooges songs are not so good, but the live show is still excellent. I just saw them on Monday in nyc.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 13, 2007 16:52

Interesting comments from Don Was. Thanks for posting, Terry. My own personal favorite Iggy Pop memory is The Dinah Shore Show with Bowie and Iggy when you'd swear a threesome was about to develop on camera.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 14, 2007 13:57

Iggy was at the second night MSG in 1998 but not keen to talk.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 14, 2007 19:35

I saw the Stooges last night.
Holy shit, Iggy is a national treasure. Dancing, diving, shaking, electrifying.
The band just blasts.

Iggy's a freak of nature, similar to the Stones. And I mean that in a good way.
I feel truly priviledged to say I saw these guys live. If they are coming your way, do it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home