Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SFTD lyrics - Jagger wrote it the very day of Robert F. Kennedy assassination.
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 5, 2007 12:26

Rembember those lyrics featurning Kennedys with a "S", so referring both to JF and Bob "I shouted out, "Who killed the Kennedys?"

According to [www.keno.org], SFTD was recorded June 5 & 6, 8 - 10, 1968

And Bobby K. died on 6 June 1968 - in the middle of SFTD recording

Very weird and intense. Maybe this was familiar to some of you, but to me it is brand new.

Re: SFTD lyrics - Jagger wrote it the very day of Robert F. Kennedy assassination.
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 5, 2007 12:53

Think I read in one book many years ago - but never saw it anywhere else - that Jagger originally wrote the lyric as "who killed Kennedy" and first cut it with that line - then a few hours later picked up a newspaper and read that RFK had been shot. At the next session, he amended the line to "who killed the Kennedys".

That would make a lot of sense, going by those dates

Re: SFTD lyrics - Jagger wrote it the very day of Robert F. Kennedy assassination.
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 5, 2007 12:55

Yeah dats da way I read it Gazza...long long time ago...

ROCKMAN

Date: April 5, 2007 13:33

A real collector version would be a SFTD with ONE dead Kennedy only.

Can we find that in the numerous boots of these sessions?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 5, 2007 13:35

Have never before contemplated the meaning of
the name of the group DEAD KENNEDYS. Now I just did.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: April 5, 2007 13:44

The Joker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A real collector version would be a SFTD with ONE
> dead Kennedy only.
>
> Can we find that in the numerous boots of these
> sessions?

"I shouted out who killed Kennedy" - it's on the Sister Morphine bootleg Sympathy for the Devil, you can hera it on the second or "organ"-version of the song SftD.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 5, 2007 14:11

I'd like to say that Jagger took it from 'Who killed Davey Moore', I mean the Idea of writing about who is responsible of the killing.. all of us that Dylan thought...

2 1 2 0

Date: April 5, 2007 14:15

Thanks Greg.

Now. I remember that. All those little details coming back.

Back a long time ago, I also remember me asking "why this slight change in the lyrics"?. I get finally the awswer.

Date: April 5, 2007 14:19

Also, if you want a screenplay for a B horror movie...

You would assume impersonated-devil Jagger wrote the plural "Kennedys" BEFORE BK was shot. Scary, eeh?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 5, 2007 14:47

Just watch One Plus One to see/hear the change. smiling smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 5, 2007 14:54

Also, on the day Bobby died, John Lennon recorded all those weird sound effects for Revolution 9.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 5, 2007 15:02

His Majesty Wrote:
> Just watch One Plus One to see/hear the change. smiling smiley

yes... i remember that lyric changed from the beginning of the movie to the end. I noticed it then, and it sent shudders down my spine.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 5, 2007 16:10

tatters wrote:

Also, on the day Bobby died, John Lennon recorded all those weird sound effects for Revolution 9.

A dark day for 2 reasons.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: April 5, 2007 17:42

Um, cute story and all, but totally untrue. In "SFTD", as the band is working on the song in its seminal state, Mick is clearly singing, "I shouted out who killed Kennedy", not "The Kennedys". Still, a chilling lyric in any case.

Date: April 5, 2007 17:50

HEILOOBAAS Wrote:
> Um, cute story and all, but totally untrue. In
> "SFTD", as the band is working on the song in its
> seminal state, Mick is clearly singing, "I shouted
> out who killed Kennedy", not "The Kennedys".
> Still, a chilling lyric in any case.

Huh?

The original posts title is misleading to what the post actually is about.

The change of lyric is in the film. It's from June, what else is there to say!?

EDIT: Actually, can someone check what Mick sings at the very end when you see him doing the lead vocal whilst the others "woo woo!"? :-()

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-05 18:16 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 5, 2007 18:14

Just to note, most vocals on Beggar's were recorded in Sunset Sound Studio's, Los Angeles, July and early August 1968.

Mathijs

Posted by: millstone ()
Date: April 5, 2007 19:06

The bootleg Politcal Cartoons contains the recordings of SFTD. Like on the movie 'One on One'.
On track 7 you can hear clearly: "who shot kennedy". Later on track 9, Mick leaves this sentence away, he just mumbles. On track 10 you can hear "the kennedy's". So he really changed the lyrics according to the advent.

Date: April 5, 2007 19:10

millstone Wrote:
> The bootleg Politcal Cartoons contains the
> recordings of SFTD. Like on the movie 'One on
> One'.
> On track 7 you can hear clearly: "who shot
> kennedy". Later on track 9, Mick leaves this
> sentence away, he just mumbles. On track 10 you
> can hear "the kennedy's". So he really changed the
> lyrics according to the advent.

But what is track 10 in relation to the film?

Date: April 5, 2007 19:27

I'm sorry, I never loked at both at the same time. So I don't know the exact relation.
The songs on Political cartoons also have special names like: searching for the devil, invitation to the blues, political cartoon, meeting the devil, singing with the devil and jamming with the devil.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 5, 2007 19:32

Yeah but Bobby Kennedy lived for at least another 24 hours after he was shot so that throws everything off...

Date: April 5, 2007 19:37

Who really killed the Kennedys? It couldn't have been you and me.

CIA
Castro
Oswald
Mafia
3 hobos
Man with umbrella on the grassy knoll
Jack Ruby
Sirhan
L. A. P. D.
Russians
Nixon
Bush
aliens
Viet Cong

So many questions .........

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 5, 2007 19:41

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Yeah but Bobby Kennedy lived for at least another
> 24 hours after he was shot so that throws
> everything off...

Not at all, they were filmed over a few different days/sessions.

From memory, I don't think Mick sings Kennedy's whilst he is seated recording with the whole band playing, that's two different sessions at least.

I think the lyrical change can be heard when he's filmed overdubbing lead vocals though, but that appears to be from the same day/night of the 2nd session we get to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-05 19:47 by His Majesty.

Date: April 5, 2007 19:44

Who really killed the Kennedys? It couldn't have been you and me.

Well the lyric should not be taken literally. Sometime they are ment to make people think. Like this whole lyric SFTD.

Date: April 5, 2007 19:46

Gosh, I never thought of that. I thought they were coming to arrest you and me.

I was born at night, but not last night. Or as they say in Georgia, I didn't just fall off of the turnip truck.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 5, 2007 20:04

Just checked from my old video. He sings "The Kennedy's" during the vocal overdub section of the film.

So it appears that during the 2nd session seen in the film(where Keith is seen playing bass, Bill's on percussion etc) the lyrical change took place. Sometime between the recording of the samba backing track and the vocal overdubbing.

Date: April 5, 2007 22:53

For who is intrested: I uploaded the bootleg as MP3 on the next adres: [www.gigasize.com]
The file will be there temperary.

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: April 5, 2007 23:45

MICK IS SO AWESOME!!!

(I'm sorry for shouting, but a long weekend is approaching...)

Posted by: Boston Rambler ()
Date: April 6, 2007 00:01

So why doesn't he sing the lyric at all now? Does he consider too topical a line for a timeless song?

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: April 6, 2007 00:06

He does sing it (maybe not last tour) but he did in 94, 98 & 2002.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home