Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Planning a Summer Trip to Europe - Advice/Suggestions?
Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: March 24, 2007 00:56

Hey Gang -

I know this might make for a lengthy topic, but...

So I've been thinking lately about what I'd like to do this summer, and since The Stones are gonna be giving Europe a whirl this summer, I thought the fun thing to do would be to pick a tour location, stay there for a week, and see a show. Since I had to pass on my ticket to see them at Soldier Field last October, I thought this would be a great experience to have on my own, doing some soul-searching, and I'd get to see The Stones in the process.

Me and my dad visited Europe for two weeks in 2001, and it was a blast. I thought of all the places where I had visited where they'll be touring this summer and thought that I'd like to see them at one of four places:
- UK (Isle of Wight Festival)
- Netherlands (With a side trip to Amsterdam)
- Paris
- Rome

The prospect of doing this all has got me pretty excited, and I'd like to make it happen, but I could use the wealth of knowledge that comes from both sides of the pond, so to speak - our Europe and USA forum members. If you're particularly familiar with any of these areas, I'd be happy to exchange e-mails or IMs with you about suggestions or ideas.

I could use some suggestions on the following:

1. Best source for getting tickets in Europe (I heard TicketmasterUK is pretty bad?)

2. Since I've never really arranged airfare for myself, do any adults have suggestions on which carriers are best, or what strategy is best for getting airline tickets? I did a little research myself, and tickets to UK seemed to be the cheapest for my budget.

3. I thought of giving youth hostels a try in terms of finding a place to stay - is this a bad idea? Are there any better suggestions?

4. Anything else you think might be useful to think of?

I really value any suggestions or advice you might have for me. I know you're all probably busy forming your own travel plans for this summer, but any help you could provide I'd really be in your debt for.

Again, many thanks to you all,

Matt "Frash"

Re: Planning a Summer Trip to Europe - Advice/Suggestions?
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 24, 2007 01:07

3. I thought of giving youth hostels a try in terms of finding a place to stay - is this a bad idea? Are there any better suggestions?
(Based upon trips not exaclty recently)
Not bad. I know a good YMCA place in Bruxelles.
Isaac's youth hostel in Dublin is fine. Food awful. [www.isaacs.ie]
The pub 'cross the street might still be alive & kickin'.
Paris hotel: get high standar *** stars and above just a short distance (15 w/ Metro) from central parts (Montparnasse & around?)
Northwards, if ya buy any chance pop up here; camping cottages might
be a wild card: 200-250 SKR for a non-luxurious yet sleepable one.
Still no more than 576-650 for a luxury type.
UK/Ireland: Guest Houses is my preferred accomodation type...
Tea & biscuits, cozy landlady's & often Fawlty Tower-ish...

4. Anything else you think might be useful to think of?
Avoid Red Light District in Amsterdam. Dont take any leak behind CentraalStation, esp.not in the middle of the night.
Rotterdam railway station is a non-safe area.
Nertherlands is best on the countryside or in smalltowns imho.

Date: March 24, 2007 03:31

Thanks, Bro.

Just a friendly bump...

Also, after talking with my mother, she prefers that I go to England, so I guess that's where my trip is going to end me up, if I go.

Anyone else have some words of wisdom?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 24, 2007 04:33

your mother is deciding which stones show you should go to?

i recommend going outside the UK to some general admission shows...

it's cheapest to fly to london or manchester but then you can take some discount airlines out of heathrow, manchester or airports just outside of london (luton, standsted, and gatwick).

google searches will get you everything you want and need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-24 04:33 by little queenie.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 24, 2007 05:01

If anyone can plan a tour stop its Little Queenie. The babe has credit cards with unlimited spending limits and connections at 4 star hotels everywhere.

Plus unlimited vacation time from work. Follow her vapor trail. No show in Greece might cause some trouble with the ambassador though.

Date: March 24, 2007 05:10

thanks for the vote of confidence, sicilian. i wish they'd play in sicily - rome will have to do...

i bought my plane ticket and plan on rome through budapest. i am hoping for greece or zagreb to fill in the little gap after montenegro! you coming along sicilian?

my only connections with the 4 star hotels are the entourage gatherings after the show! then it's back to my little hovel - a clean room with a private bathroom is really all i ask!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 24, 2007 05:27

My list of possibilities is Paris, Rome, Spain or Slane. I would love to see them in Italy even more in Sicily.

I wish they would do a summer tour in the states. I hate the fall and winter gigs. I think if I go to Italy I might wanna stay.

I hear that there are some passport issues going on over here. Lots of big delays so the time to start the process is now.

Where are you staying in Rome?

Date: March 24, 2007 05:47

i don't have hotels lined up yet - i could stay where i stayed last year in rome but might want to experience a different neighborhood/vibe, just to mix it up.

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: March 24, 2007 09:38

When I studied abroad I got a card from Hosteling International. If you are traveling a lot you may want to look into this.

Date: March 24, 2007 10:59

Probably best for you to fly into London - large choice of airlines means competitive fares. From here you can get the train to Europe, maybe get a rail pass for as long as you need so you can visit all the cities you are planning. Enjoy it!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 24, 2007 12:58

Little Queenie is right, thou shall see The Holy Stones in a GA spot before we all slip away.......... Probably your last chance this year...

Posted by: Lord Sinclair ()
Date: March 24, 2007 15:56

Denmark. Begin searching the net now for flights and deals. You'll have no trouble with transportation once you arrive and all will be very friendly.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: March 24, 2007 16:01

Depending on whether you are planning to go to one or two countries / cities, it is worth bearing this in mind:

If you are only planning one place, then remember that even though London is perhaps less expensive to fly to, the ticket prices here are very expensive for the good seats. For example, £150 for the top price, and then £90, still a lot of money. However, you could go to another country and get a general admission floor / pitch standing ticket for around £60, so thats a saving of £90 towards an airfare, which I would imagine cancels out the difference in the cost of flights?

Depends if you want to see them outdoors in a big stadium or in an arena in London.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Lord Sinclair ()
Date: March 24, 2007 16:51

Yes, London is overpriced. Ughh. What a downer to admit it, but even I prefer to see them in other countries. Besides, if you get a reasonable price on a ticket as Mr. Jimmy suggests, you will feel better about the whole experience no matter what the weather brings.

Date: March 24, 2007 20:02

Well I did a little research, and I managed to find a way to do it all for about $1500, which is kind of what I'm targeting

My mother only suggested Isle of Wight show because she was uncomfortable with me going to a non-english speaking country alone.

But I think now I might try for Paris (back-up plan: Rome). I found some great airfare, and I figured out how it will all work out - Easyjet to Paris, Hostels, planning for food and touristy stuff - so I think this is definitely going to happen! I'm excited!

The only real thing I'm thinking about is, how does an American go about getting tickets for European shows?

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: March 24, 2007 20:04

If you had asked one year earlier, I would have suggested to come to Munich! A very nice, clean and interesting 2 Mio+ town...even the nicest, I've ever been to.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: March 24, 2007 20:14

The only advice I would add is that if you want to come to the UK, I would seriously consider the O2 instead of IOW if you are specifically coming to see the Stones.
Two reasons:
1. IOW is already sold out so you may have to go down the scalper route.
2. As far as I'm aware it's all-or-nothing, ie it's a 3 day event, you don't have day tickets. Although I suppose if you had a ticket, they wouldn't turn you away if you arrived on Sunday! Of course if you want to do the whole festival, then this is a plus point. Enjoy your time over here, anyway. I was thinking about going to a gig in Paris or Nijmegen, but I think we Londoners have the best deal this time round!

Lee

Date: March 24, 2007 20:47

The only thing about one of the o2 events is that they're right when I have to be starting school in the fall. I'd definitely go to those, but unfortunately I can't.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: March 24, 2007 21:04

My friends from California desperately wanted to come over to see the Stones in London...but they are flying out to Hawaii for their holidays ... on August 21st!
Difficult to imagine worse timing...so near yet so far!

Lee

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: March 24, 2007 21:08

Jumpin'JackFrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> My mother only suggested Isle of Wight show
> because she was uncomfortable with me going to a
> non-english speaking country alone....
>
> The only real thing I'm thinking about is, how
> does an American go about getting tickets for
> European shows?

If you stick to English speaking countries you'll limit your fun and experience in life, besides everyone you meet for this will speak the universal language of rock and roll.

You go about getting tickets online just the same as a European, I imagine. Grab your mother's credit card (just joking) and get online

Date: March 24, 2007 21:17

Stargroves -

I knew that I had to find an online ticket broker, I just am wondering which one is the best?

Ticketmaster UK? I heard bad things from last summer from people. Is this true?

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 24, 2007 22:38

If I were you I would maybe consider a Spanish show too. Nice warm weather, nice people, good food and drink, relaxing time...

As mentioned, the IOW festival is sold out so you'd need to go for O2 arena. There's lots to do in London so that would be good.

Paris or Rome - pick either really. I suppose if you haven't been to Paris you should go there! I've not been to Rome so that would be my preference.

You can get a good guest house in the UK for not too much money but it is more expensive in London.

If you plan your trip to London for a couple of days before the gig, you can go to the get-togethers and Stones-related tours that happen each time the Stones come back to their home town and meets lots of like minded fans from around the world - maybe a good idea if your on your own.

One tip regarding tickets...

If you get a ticket on a credit card, you may need to present that credit card when you turn up at the venue to collect the ticket. I don't know how old you are or if you have a credit card but bear this in mind.

There was a thread about this very topic about a month or so ago - I think it was entitled something like "handbook for travelling abroad" or something like that. I'll have a search and get back to you with a link...

Date: March 24, 2007 22:43

Here it is...

[www.iorr.org]

Date: March 24, 2007 23:10

Thanks Sjs

I'm 21, so obviously I can handle myself. I've been to Europe before, the place I fell in love with the most was Rome, but something about Paris intrigues me. The airfare I found was around the time of Paris, so I guess that's the one I'll go to, maybe make a side trip to Rome or something.

As I said, I'd be there with everyone at one of the O2 shows, but I can't as my school schedule doesn't permit me for doing that.

I took six years of spanish, so I can kind of speak it, but it's fading. I just never really took any interest in going to Spain.

It'd be great to actually meet some IORR people though.

Date: March 24, 2007 23:36

I was 21 when I was robbed twice in Amsterdam and 22 when I was robbed in Leningrad...

Date: March 24, 2007 23:40

Hey - go to spain.

If you can speak the language you will get so much out of it and can delve more into the culture.

You will be surprised at how much you know - within a day or so you will be much more confident and speaking with the locals!

Ask anyone - the spanish stones shows are just fantastic atmosphere.

If you've been to Rome and Paris then you'll get so much more out of going to somewhere else.

Oh, I'm 30 and still can't handle myself - and I've got 2 kids too! Never grow up...

Date: March 24, 2007 23:47

Who the @#$%& can handle himself..
I wouldnt squeeze in too much - focus on one or two countries,
three if its some narrow axle like Brno-Budapest etc.

Spain's too hot this time of the year; climate is perfect for
Scandinavia. Spain is best in spring or fall. Canary's best in winter.
Crete's best late September or December. Italy & Greece main lands
should be best in fall or spring. Uk & Ireland - I'd say summer too.

Summary: UK-Eire or Scandinavia is my suggestions.
Stones-wise though´, one might think the funniest may bee former east block countries = central Europe. And Kiev & Petersburg of course!!!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 25, 2007 00:31

I was thinking of Londin for August 21 and am getting my passport together now; I think there's no comparison between General Admission for an outdoor stadium or an enclosed smaller arena with proper seats! G.A you risk rain and being around crazy drunk people! Inside Wembley, the arena holds only 11,000 and yes you pay more but you're assured comfort; if you're not REALLY YOUNG, 100,000+ in potentially bad weather doesn't bother you. I think the Stones SOUND beter inside too! I have seen them many times in stadiums outside and have NEVER been rained on, very lucky! I've frozen my A** off but never drenched! Anyway, the passport will take 10 weeks if you apply now and I am checking into tours! I want to be sure I have food, shelter, security and comfort. On a tour, everything is done for you. Just a thought. Now I have to find a tour from around August 18-26.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 25, 2007 00:32

Can't believe I spelled London wrong....oh, I see, the i is next to the o...

Date: March 25, 2007 00:37

Saturday nite overseas too... Cheers! Babiin Bri

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home