Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Levon Helm @ Beacon 3/17
Posted by: Papers6FeetHigh ()
Date: March 20, 2007 14:44

Caught Levon Helm and his band saturday night at the Beacon Theatre on St Patrick's Day. First off, it was my first trip to the Beacon and the space is absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see how The Stones look on film in the theatre.
Levon Helm was outstanding. He played for 2.5 hours and switched between the drums, mandolin and guitar. His voice is fully recovered from throat cancer...his vocals may well have been from 1970. He featured Warren Haynes on guitar and vocals for "I shall be Released" and Dr. John performed "Such a Night" a la "The Last Waltz". Many of The Band's classics were played flawlessly with the great Larry Campbell on guitar and fiddle. Allen Toussant was in on the action for most of the night as well. The highlight of my night was the encore when the musical Thor himself, Garth Hudson performed accordian and organ solos on "Take Me to the River".
Levon Helm is a true American Legend, and if you have the chance check out one of his "Midnight Rambles" and his barn in Woodstock, NY. Believe me, it is well worth it!

Re: Levon Helm @ Beacon 3/17
Posted by: danielb ()
Date: March 20, 2007 15:24

I love The Band. One of the greatest of all time.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 20, 2007 18:45

Wish they'd hook back up with Robbie.

Posted by: Papers6FeetHigh ()
Date: March 20, 2007 19:06

I hear you Elmo....I almost hoped that Robbie was in the audience saturday so he could see for himself how hard Levon is still rocking

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: March 20, 2007 19:48

Wouldn't be the same with out Rick Danko & Richard Manuel.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 20, 2007 20:34

They would be sorely missed, but I'd still buy a ticket!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 20, 2007 20:57

Levon doesn't need Robbie - the man's a total jackass.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 20, 2007 21:59

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Levon doesn't need Robbie - the man's a total
> jackass.

Does he kick small kittens out of his way when he walks down the street? Let's hear the dirt!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 20, 2007 22:06

go to your local library and read about it

Posted by: BSORocks ()
Date: April 4, 2007 05:14

did anyone record this show?

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: April 4, 2007 06:28

I was too busy going to my local library and learning about The Band to record the show.

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: April 4, 2007 13:44

Caught a show with Levon Helm and his Barnburners every week for a few months in 2000. They had a steady gig at The Joyous Lake in Woodstock. Sometimes his daughter Amy would join them on vocals. Se sings like an angel. And on keyboards, and just about any instrument that needed to be "treated well" - Garth Hudson. Sometimes Randy Chiarlante would play drums, sometimes bass. And in the audience, absolutely every night, the fireman who saved Levon's life that night his barn studio burned down. Levon calls the fireman "my dear, dear son". The fireman was a humble guy who risked his own life to walk into the burning barn to carry an intoxicated Levon out. And became his greatest fan.
This was soon after Rick Danko had passed away. His grave always had fresh flowers, and he's deeply missed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home