Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Buddy Guy
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 19, 2007 03:00

Just saw Buddy Guy in Singapore on Friday. Boy what a show! After obligitory shots of Jack D I went into a packed theater and watched a true master deliver an inspiring show. Buddy is 70 years old and shows no sign of slowing down. And not only did he look great, but sounds truly amazing! It really put into context all the talk about our heros the Stones and how many more tours they have left in them...they can and will go on as long as they have the passion for it.
Buddy played for 1 1/2 hours and did mostly recent songs....and his guitar was clear, loud, and up front in the mix!

Great show! I don't have his new disc, so if anyone can comment on it that would be great!

Re: Buddy Guy
Posted by: Forty Niks ()
Date: March 19, 2007 03:01

seen BG more than once - just great! a heckuva "guy" indeed . . .

Date: March 19, 2007 03:05

Yeah, I have seen him a lot, but not in quite a few years. Singapore doesn't get a hell of a lot. When I lived in Detroit Buddy was quite a regular event, and being so close to Chicago I would ofen go to Legends. So I was curious to see Buddy in Singapore and see how he is doing. Hasn't lost a thing! His voice is stunning!
Damn Righ I Got the Blues! He did that really loud and raunchy! Great!

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: March 19, 2007 06:57

If by last disk you mean Bring 'Em In, it's great. The version of I Put A Spell On You is the only version of the song that I actually like (which is odd b/c I love Fogerty and don't really like Santana).

josh.
np: "girl from a pawnshop" - the black crowes

Date: March 19, 2007 07:31

You don't like screaming Jay Hawkins version of Put a Spell on You? Or Pete Townshend's? He does a great live version and he really wails on it...
Thanks for the tip! I will check it out.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 19, 2007 07:34

Anyone near Chicago should get a chance to visit Legends before it gets shut down in a couple months. Buddy played his usual engagments there in January...and it was his farewell for the club. Columbia College owns the property and will convert the space into a student center.

Pay your respects to an important part of Chicago and of course, the blues.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: March 19, 2007 15:06

I've never heard the original and I didn't know that Townshend did a version. I'll have to check it out.

josh.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: March 19, 2007 15:54

He is playing in New York at BB Kings Blues Club for two shows(April 11 &13). Looking forward to seeing him. I have seen him many times, but not in the last couple years.Thanks for the review- I am stoked!(also, my first trip to New York)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 19, 2007 17:05

Buddy's been tapped to close the local two-day blooze fest here in June. Life's good.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 19, 2007 17:20

Justin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone near Chicago should get a chance to visit
> Legends before it gets shut down in a couple
> months. Buddy played his usual engagments there
> in January...and it was his farewell for the club.
> Columbia College owns the property and will
> convert the space into a student center.
>
> Pay your respects to an important part of Chicago
> and of course, the blues.

Wow, I've been there during the last stones stop in january last year. Too bad they close it down. I'm glad I was there

Posted by: beast of burden ()
Date: March 19, 2007 18:30

Ditto Dougie

I'm heading to New York (from the U.K) with my girlfriend next month and I also managed to nab tickets for Buddy's show on 13th April.

Will be the 2nd time I have seen him and I can't wait!!

My gf's not a big blues fan but I'm hoping that she'll be impressed by Buddy!

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: March 19, 2007 21:51

Living in Chicago, we've been fortunate enough to see Buddy more times than I can even remember! Buddy put a boxed set out somewhere around November. We picked it up @ one of his January shows and he even signed it for us. Yes, it's definitely worth buying.

According to Legend's staff, Legends is not closing... they're relocating. They said that Columbia College is not making them move until another location is found and they are able to move. Just hope the new place has the same feel as the current Legends!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home