Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

i am sure, many of you bought (buy) a new stones-album......
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: March 16, 2007 19:29

.... the first day of its release. is there any Album which was really dissapointing after first listening????

Mine was Exile on main street back in may 1972. Couldnt get into it
Remember yours???

Re: i am sure, many of you bought (buy) a new stones-album......
Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 16, 2007 19:32

I remember leaving school to buy Black And Blue during the big intermission. When in the store, they hadn't unpacked and I had to wait. Therefore, I missed at least one lesson. When returning to school, with the record in hand, I met my teacher... As I was known as Michael/"Mick" she smiled and said you are excused.

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: March 16, 2007 21:37

My most horrifying experience was Bridges to Babylon when it first came out. I hated it, minus 3 songs which I thought were better than Voodoo Lounge (which I loved at first).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 16, 2007 21:43

I've bought every new Stones album on the day of release since Emotional Rescue and on first listen have been underwhelmed by pretty much all of them, but grown to like them all more later on

Notable exceptions were BTB, VL and ABB which I had pre-release copies of - and Live Licks and Rarities which I refused to buy as I thought they were thrown together in a half-arsed fashion, until I got them in the bargain bins a few weeks later.

Date: March 16, 2007 22:13

really think, I am to old now for this board
My personal Stones-Peak----sure 1963-1967

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 16, 2007 22:34

I thought both Black & Blue and Emotional Rescue were absolutely awful when I first heard them

Date: March 16, 2007 22:45

---and satanic end of67---just awful, when I heard this-one first time

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: March 16, 2007 23:02

Voodoo Lounge! my very first listening I liked three or four songs

Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: March 16, 2007 23:17

Undercover

Real disapointment after I have seen a great concert of them (for me the first time live in 1982, Rotterdam).

Ed

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 16, 2007 23:59

I wish I was around for more album releases. My first was "No Security." And everything else that followed.

For "ABB" I tried to go to WalMart at midnight to see if they'd put it out already. of course, they didn't. I came home at 1am empty handed. I then went the next day--skipped a class to go to Best Buy to purchase it. Came home and cranked it. I wish I hadn't listened to the songs online when they posted them but I loved it anyway.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 17, 2007 01:55

I think this is an interesting question......I agree that to some degree all "new releases" seem a bit underwhelming at first...but then we grow to love them.

We all expect MORE OF THE SAME but the Stones have a knack for giving us something we didn't know we wanted. They stay a couple steps ahead of us. We grow to appreciate it. Ex. After TATTOO YOU....the UNDERCOVER album was really unexpected. I appreciate that album more & more everytime I listen to it.

I'm guessing that was the same feeling many had when Exile came out in '72.
May have been true for Beggars Banquet too.

What's even more amazing is that when we look back at the entire body of work...it
all seems to fit and make sense....and what seemed radically different then... now seems in tune with the rest.

For me....it's currently A Bigger Bang (aka newest release)...for the reasons I mentioned...it takes time to grow on me...and time for me to appreciate it fully.
Another one was Black & Blue.

(IMO - this is why Stones music is so timeless)

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-17 01:56 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: March 17, 2007 01:55

I remember calling my record store to see if the new Stones LP was in. It was and I rushed over to get it. It was 12x5. As soon as I heard the start of Around and Around I knew the Stones were the best rock and roll band in the world!

Posted by: Forty Niks ()
Date: March 17, 2007 09:33

i had the opposite experience with ABB - my original reaction was much like kent: i thought it was the next exile!

however, over the course of a few months i finally realized its true monker: a bigger bust.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 17, 2007 16:39

Forty Niks wrote: i had the opposite experience with ABB - my original reaction was much like kent: i thought it was the next exile!

In 1972 Exile was not an instant CLASSIC. It became more and more appreciated
over the years. Not that ABB will do the same but....it's far from a "bust".

I am listening to Voodoo Lounge right now.....VL was an album that I instantly liked. For me....it was a welcome improvement after Steel Wheels. Not slamming SW.......but I like VL more. Bridges seemed somewhat predictable....like Voodoo Lounge Part 2.....(just my opninion). B2B wears well.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: March 17, 2007 17:42

sweet neo con Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think this is an interesting question......I
> agree that to some degree all "new releases" seem
> a bit underwhelming at first...but then we grow to
> love them.

Funny... many albums grabbed me at the first go. Perhaps they were so good, that I needn't put that much effort in to 'getting it'. Don't get me wrong, this way of appreciating music is very valid - for me, the more dynamic and intricate the work, the more re-discovering and appreciation sprouts. But for straight-ahead rock like what the Stones put out - I can listen to ABB a gazillion times, and still feel like this - "not bad, some good stuff, some stinkers; but over-all, they've done WAY better".

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: March 17, 2007 17:45

Undercover for me. I will always believe that is the time and place where the Stones lost their momentum. Coming off the triumph of the 81/82 tour...it should have been huge, but it was a major letdown.

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: March 17, 2007 18:56

"Got Live If You Want It". I was so disappointed, it sounded so cheesy. I like it and appreciate it more now than I did then, but it's still cheesy-sounding.

But then, that was a (mostly) live album.

The first studio disappointment I had was "Exile." I like it more now, but I thought then it was a real let-down after BB and SF.

But after that, not a single album clicked with me, I grew accustomed to being disappointed in EVERY post-Exile album. And that makes it doubly difficult for me to endure Stones shows filled with dreck from those albums. Good god, I never wanted to hear "Hand of Fate" or "Worried About You" live in concert, especially if it came at the expense of an early classic like "Flight 505" or "Mother's Little Helper"

Date: March 17, 2007 19:14

highanddry Wrote:
> "Got Live If You Want It". I was so disappointed,
> it sounded so cheesy. I like it and appreciate it
> more now than I did then, but it's still
> cheesy-sounding.
>
> But then, that was a (mostly) live album.
>
> The first studio disappointment I had was "Exile."
> I like it more now, but I thought then it was a
> real let-down after BB and SF.
>
> But after that, not a single album clicked with
> me, I grew accustomed to being disappointed in
> EVERY post-Exile album. And that makes it doubly
> difficult for me to endure Stones shows filled
> with dreck from those albums. Good god, I never
> wanted to hear "Hand of Fate" or "Worried About
> You" live in concert, especially if it came at the
> expense of an early classic like "Flight 505" or
> "Mother's Little Helper"

I wasn't around when their pre GHS stuff was released... but Flight 505? Mother's Little Helper? Maybe 'ya had to be there' but those songs never did it for me. In fact there's a lot of dated, dull stuff that came out pre-BB, including much of Aftermath, Buttons, & TSMR.

To discount the underrated GHS, IORR, and B&B is cheating yourself of some fantastic music. I like that period far better than their 'Beatles kicked their ass' period (1965-1967).

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: March 17, 2007 22:13

JaggerFan Wrote:
> To discount the underrated GHS, IORR, and B&B is
> cheating yourself of some fantastic music. I like
> that period far better than their 'Beatles kicked
> their ass' period (1965-1967).

I guess this is what makes life interesting. There isn't much on those 3 albums that thrilled me then, or now. And I guess if you weren't around prior when the pre-GHS albums were released, things might sound different, or 'dated', to you.

I remember the day "Satisfaction" was released in 1965, it blew my head off it was so fantastic. I think the 1964-1968 Brian Jones version of the band was them at their best, with the Mick Taylor version a close second.

After that, mediocrity was generally the rule. Is that because of Ron Wood, their drug habits, their 'muse' often deserting them? I dunno the answer, but the magic was gone for me after Exile, and only occasionally would reappear for a song here, a song there....but an entire album of greatness? These guys haven't had it in them for well more than 35 years.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: March 17, 2007 22:24

Great thread. Since Exile I've bought every album on first day or release. None were dissapointing, but Goats Head Soup & Tattoo You took a few spins. Now Goats Head is one of my favorite albums, but after Exile it was a different sound, more slickly produced. For some reason I loved Steel Wheels immediately.

The first time I listened to Beggars Banquet I was disapointed. I bought it around 1975. I was a big fan of Ya-Ya's and the versions of Stray Cat Blues, Street Fighting Man & Sympathy for the Devil were to me the definitive versions. So when I first heard Beggars I was like, That isn't Stray Cat etc. Of course it didn't take long for me to really appreciate the lp & was soon loving it.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: March 17, 2007 22:45

i bought most of my stones albums over a 2 year period, from 1987,when i got into them till 1989.

i bought over 30 albums in this 2 year period, it took me a long while to fully appreciate a lot of thier stuff.

some albums i liked straight away, beggars banquet, tattoo you and exile.

it was a brilliant 2 years, full of discovery.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home