Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tattoo You
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 13, 2007 18:34

Let's pretend there is not a tour to be announced and that life is running bored as usual ...

Long time no talk on good ol Tattoo You - after a loooong while I put this piece of s... on the turntable (no CD version ever made justice to it's perfect sound!), and I WAS IMPRESSED!

SIDE A

Start Me Up, the sound, Charlie's opening roll ... OK it's been over and overplayed, it has Sugar, Rocks Off and If You can't rock me as big competitors in the open G opener league, everything true, but ain't it a beauty?

Slave, almost an instrumental if you come to think to it! Uneasy mid tempo, great HUGE timing combo by Keith CW and Bill and nothing less than the great gin soaked bar jazz bastard Sonny Rollins on sax as icing on the cake

T&A - same as Start Me up, when it falls in the same category of gems like happy and before they make me run it is always a tough fight, so I claim it is by far Keith's best non-open G solo tune

Black Limo: it rocks, it swings, it has it all - Can I say it is way way better than ... exile's stop breaking down! OK, I said it.

Neighbours, one of my personal fav stones rockers. The "retro" slap on keith's guitar, vs ronnies overcharged response, almost as essential a sound as had it with you - one of the best ever r'n'r solos, EVER (RW)! the minor opening that cuts in two, the lyrics I LUV IT!!!

SIDE B

Overall, Jagger's finest 20 minutes on vinyl. the reason why I can't listen to it on CD. Jagger dominates the whole side. Vocals right in your face, there is the blues, the soul, the suffering, yet it's modern, its so Jagger - masterpiece. I never was able to see it song by song.

Funny thing is that I discovered how beautiful side b is only once I was forced to listen to the whole disk way in the CD era. Before I gave it only a quick go as soon as I bought the LP, and never wanted to turn the disk again

C

p.s. By the way, have you MT lovers ever noticed the beautiful arpeggios that survive on Friend?

p.p.s Hang fire: worst song in the stones list

Re: Tattoo You
Posted by: Ket ()
Date: March 13, 2007 18:39

Great album, Hang Fire,Heaven and Wiating for a friend are a bit weak but I love all the rest, They gotta play Slave live!!!

Posted by: Forty Niks ()
Date: March 13, 2007 18:49

Up there with the B4+SG . . .

superb album.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 13, 2007 19:18

good review of the album. I really like the 2nd half too. I like your part about it being the blues, suffering but still modern... but I have to disgree with you about Hang fire. Its a really cool fun song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-13 19:20 by ryanpow.

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: March 13, 2007 20:13

I have NO idea why people like Some Girls better than Tattoo You. Okay, I do... history, had-to-be-there-ness and a lot o' bandwagon hopping.

Funny thing, there's this li'l tiny Stones book (2"X2" - TINY!) which lists 'essential Stones' at the end. It lists every album EXCEPT Tattoo you!

Anyways, this is my 6th fave Stones LP, after the big $ and the similarily underrated Goats Head Soup.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 13, 2007 20:24

liddas Wrote:
> SIDE A
>
> Start Me Up, the sound, Charlie's opening roll ...
> OK it's been over and overplayed, it has Sugar,
> Rocks Off and If You can't rock me as big
> competitors in the open G opener league,
> everything true, but ain't it a beauty?

Ok, agree

>
> Slave, almost an instrumental if you come to think
> to it!

Yeah, that's the thing - a studio jam really. But, a good one, well played.

>
> T&A - same as Start Me up, when it falls in the
> same category of gems like happy and before they
> make me run it is always a tough fight,

Doesn't come close to the others IMO. Kinda dull and repetitive.

>
> Black Limo: it rocks, it swings, it has it all -
> Can I say it is way way better than ... exile's
> stop breaking down! OK, I said it.

Good tune, no quibbles here.

>
> Neighbours and Hang Fire

Average Stones' tunes, which is to say better than anything else out there, but really nothing special in the Stones songbook.

>
> SIDE B
>

Waiting on a Friend is a great song. The rest of it puts me to sleep

> p.s. By the way, have you MT lovers ever noticed
> the beautiful arpeggios that survive on Friend?

Of course!

All in all, the Stones' most over-rated disc. 4-5 good tunes. I'm not going to complain if somebody puts it on, but all by myself I never listen to it.

Date: March 13, 2007 21:24

By the way, who's idea was it to have shorter on board? What's the story behind this collaboration. Did they actually "play" together (at least neighbors) or was it only postproduction ODs?

C

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 13, 2007 22:11

liddas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By the way, who's idea was it to have shorter on
> board? What's the story behind this collaboration.
> Did they actually "play" together (at least
> neighbors) or was it only postproduction ODs?
>
> C

Wayne Shorter? Don't think he's on TY (BTB yes). Maybe you're thinking of Sonny Rollins?

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: March 13, 2007 22:19

I think it was SR on TY. If I remember right it was one of those times when both artists were recording/mixing at the same studio at the same time. Come on over and see what were doing kinda thing.

Date: March 13, 2007 22:38

big fan of tatoo you here, but one reason why I like some girls better is becuase tatoo you was from songs recorded over a wide span of recording sessions with differnent musicians and personel. Some girls was all done at Pathe in a short span of time, it has a much more continuity and immdeiate feel to it IMO.

Date: March 13, 2007 22:42

JaggerFan Wrote:
> I have NO idea why people like Some Girls better
> than Tattoo You. Okay, I do... history,
> had-to-be-there-ness and a lot o' bandwagon
> hopping.
>
> Funny thing, there's this li'l tiny Stones book
> (2"X2" - TINY!) which lists 'essential Stones' at
> the end. It lists every album EXCEPT Tattoo you!
>
> Anyways, this is my 6th fave Stones LP, after the
> big $ and the similarily underrated Goats Head
> Soup.

I meant to quote this in my last post, it was a response to this.

Tatoo you is great but all outakes (Except neigbors, I think that was new).

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: March 14, 2007 03:31

My favs are Slave, Heaven and Worried About You. The guitars on Slave still give me goosebumps.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 14, 2007 04:15

like Some Girls and Emotional Rescue, this album conjures up memories of my college days.....this album was in heavy rotation......lots of acid....dancing...drinking....girls, lots of cute girls...........thanks liddas

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 14, 2007 04:40

Apart from the acid, that description goes for me too, Lukester, though nobody liked that I had those records playing while the fun went on...ah those late 90s and early 2000s, man...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-14 04:43 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 14, 2007 04:44

Strangely enough I found a copy of Tatoo You on 8 track at my uncle's house today. Hadn't listened to it in awhile. I enjoyed it. I don't like "Hang Fire" that much and was never a big fan of "Heaven" but I love "No Use In Crying" and "Tops".....

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 14, 2007 04:52

Tops is an underrated gem, my favorite song by a mile on TY.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 14, 2007 04:53

Agreed on Tops and No Use In Crying.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 14, 2007 05:15

Let's face it, Tattoo You was - theoretically - the last truly great Stones album. That the souped-up outtakes are miles ahead - both in terms of the two new songs they wrote for the album is proof that The Stones were creatively running on fumes from 1980 onwards.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 14, 2007 05:28

Yes, TY was made from outtakes and I agree creatively they were running on fumes from 80 on, excpet for 83 when they went in and wrote brand new songs, worked as a band. And to me at least those have always been some fine fine songs on UC.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: March 14, 2007 05:44

Nikolai Wrote:
> Let's face it, Tattoo You was - theoretically -
> the last truly great Stones album. That the
> souped-up outtakes are miles ahead - both in terms
> of the two new songs they wrote for the album is
> proof that The Stones were creatively running on
> fumes from 1980 onwards.

Lets faceit ? sorry brother undercover was smokin!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 14, 2007 07:14

And I have said it before, and many disagree...
But Bridges to Babylon is a great innovative Stones release!

Love Heaven!!! surprised folks single that out as a weak link...for me great song ala 2000 Light Years From Home. Very beautiful epic...

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: March 14, 2007 07:46

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Yes, TY was made from outtakes and I agree
> creatively they were running on fumes from 80 on,
> excpet for 83 when they went in and wrote brand
> new songs, worked as a band. And to me at least
> those have always been some fine fine songs on UC.

There's been all kinds of great stuff since '81 or '83 or whenever. It goes largely unrecognized for two reasons:

1. Their batting average has dropped. They write only poject-by-project, not as part of any ongoing process and based on that, it's not surprising that they don't generate the volume of first-class material they once did. And that means that excellent work like "Thief In The Night/How Can I Stop," "Continental Drift," "Moon Is Up," "Let Me Down Slow," "Terrifying," "Had It With You," "Back Of My Hand," "Out Of Control," "Too Rude," "Rain Fall Down," "Fancyman Blues," "Mean Disposition," "Always Suffering," and "Break The Spell" gets ignored because the tracks sit next to stuff like "I Go Wild," "Look What The Cat Dragged In," and "Rock And A Hard Place" on albums that everyone wrongly dismisses out of hand.

Sure there's filler on the latter-day albums, but the best stuff shows off the Stones in very interesting and creative ways. Just listen to something like "Moon Is Up," for instance...

2. Their work as a whole just doesn't get their airing that it would need to be considered next to the classics. The Stones' audience is just old and conservative and basically uninterested in welcoming new music into the pantheon. If the Stones were to come up with "Jumpin' Jack Flash" today, people would be utterly incapable of recognizing it, much less embracing it. And the Stones themselves yield to this by backing down and taking refuge in the material that connected with audiences when those audiences still had an active interest in listening.

Status is conferred on rock'n roll records by airplay and by the way those records wind up being used by the people. "Stairway To Heaven" is what it is at least as much because of all those ridiculous prom nights as because of anything Jimmy and Robert put on tape. And all the tradition and fun and craziness--all the years of people dancing and partying to the record--of, say, "Honky Tonk Women" is part of that tune every time it comes out of a car radio or gets played on a concert stage. Against that cumulative energy, what chance does new stuff have?

When I cull the best of the "semi-retired, serial reunion years" 1989-?, I think there's a lot to enjoy and to be thankful for. It'll make a great compilation someday.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 14, 2007 08:04

I was 18 when Tattoo You came out, and saw my first Stones concert during that tour.
I don't think it's better than Some Girls, but it's indeed great...perhaps the last great Stones album.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: March 14, 2007 09:23

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:> Status is conferred on rock'n roll records by
> airplay and by the way those records wind up being
> used by the people. "Stairway To Heaven" is what
> it is at least as much because of all those
> ridiculous prom nights as because of anything
> Jimmy and Robert put on tape. And all the
> tradition and fun and craziness--all the years of
> people dancing and partying to the record--of,
> say, "Honky Tonk Women" is part of that tune every
> time it comes out of a car radio or gets played on
> a concert stage. Against that cumulative energy,
> what chance does new stuff have?
>
> When I cull the best of the "semi-retired, serial
> reunion years" 1989-?, I think there's a lot to
> enjoy and to be thankful for. It'll make a great
> compilation someday.

Thanks for that, it's so true. Especially the 'cumulative energy' that new songs have to battle.

Jelle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-14 09:24 by sluissie.

Date: March 14, 2007 11:09

KSIE Wrote:
> liddas Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > By the way, who's idea was it to have shorter
> on
> > board? What's the story behind this
> collaboration.
> > Did they actually "play" together (at least
> > neighbors) or was it only postproduction ODs?
> >
> > C
>
>
> Wayne Shorter? Don't think he's on TY (BTB yes).
> Maybe you're thinking of Sonny Rollins?

Well, yes of course it is Sonny. I had a Shorter cd (the great speak no evil) on at the moment ...

I'm still curious though, who called in Sonny?

C

Date: March 14, 2007 11:13

There is another thing that always puzzled me. It is well known that most Tatttoo You was a rehash of old stuff, that Jagger re-did the vocals etc.

Yet the sound is very consistent through all the LP. I mean: MT parts stand out as belonging to a different era with lots of make up on top. But the drums, and the guitars sound, at least on all the side A numbers, sound completely "new".

C

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 14, 2007 11:23

The real sec ret weapon of that album was Bob Clearmountain.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: March 14, 2007 11:24

It's the job of a great producer! Thanks to Chris Kimsey.

When will they drop Don Was and start working with good producers again? Sure Don did ok things but I'm so borred with his sound. Ever since he produces the Stones Charlie's drum sound is flat and misses the warmth and passion Chris Kimsey was able to produce.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 14, 2007 12:01

The tune “Waiting on a friend” and its video is of course unbeatable material for a Stones-lover. The rest of the record I see as bonus materials, and moreover with an off the rock-history's most well-known intros.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: March 14, 2007 15:33

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Yes, TY was made from outtakes and I agree
> creatively they were running on fumes from 80 on,
> excpet for 83 when they went in and wrote brand
> new songs, worked as a band. And to me at least
> those have always been some fine fine songs on UC.

I like Undercover. I don't LOVE it, but I do like it. It was the last album without any 'oh my god this sucks' moments.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1487
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home