Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
IOW Festival
Posted by: ledgezephyr ()
Date: March 7, 2007 23:07

I've heard rumours around the net, that the IOW Festival sunday headliner will be announced on or by the 20th of March. Could this fit in with a RS tour announcement do u think?
Although rumors say it could be the White Stripes on the sunday. Which compared
with the Stones would be dissapointing.

Also saw somewhere that channel 4 are negotiating with the festival/whoever to show the last hour of the Sunday headliners show live on tv. Are the Stones likely to agree to something like that?

Re: IOW Festival
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 8, 2007 00:14

The White Stripes would be a worthy addition and are obviously a big name but, remember, the guy from Virgin radio specifically said that it was a band who have been around for over four decades, are absolutely huge and that their inclusion would be a huge coup for the IOW Festival making the other festivals quite jealous - and Jack & Meg dont quite fit into that category. Additionally, them playing a festival date isnt THAT big a scoop (They played Glastonbury last year or the year before I recall).

I really do think the signs are that the Stones are going to play this show. Fact is, theres been NO solid rumours of any other UK shows that have been worth commenting on until now. The Millennium Dome rumour has been dismissed outright, Wembley is nothing more at this point than mere speculation and wishful thinking and theres been nothing else mentioned for anywhere else. I do think they will play somewhere in the UK apart from the IOW (it would a pretty outrageous snub if they didnt), but maybe they wont announce it until after their appearance there is confirmed.

regarding that 20th March date, makes a lot of sense to do it sooner rather tha later. The only logic behind the IOW organisers not announcing who their main act is even after the tickets have been sold is because the act in question wanted to wait until theyd officially confirmed and announced their tour schedule for the summer. Which kinda leaves the Stones and no one else, at this point.

Some of the IOW festival gets shown on TV, so I wouldnt be surprised if they did this. They might need the exposure to give the ticket sales a final push.

Posted by: ledgezephyr ()
Date: March 8, 2007 22:24

Thanks for the info Gazza, I hadn't heard the virgin radio four decades thing before. It does make the Stones playing sound hopeful.

I've seen the Stones twice before Wembly 13/09/03 and Twick 20/08/06 and they were great both times. But I think they would be great at a festival. I always think there is a little bit of extra electricity in the atmosphere at festival shows. I saw The Who at IOW Fest04 and they were mind blowing. Add the Stones into that already electric mix and I think it has the potential to be a very special event.

I just hope they break there 'not playing festivals' thing.

Date: March 8, 2007 22:27

Well..it would do them no harm to show a younger audience what the fuss is all about for once.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 8, 2007 23:15

Stones for sure. Pretty much for sure they say.

Bjornulf

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 9, 2007 02:21

who cares ?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 9, 2007 09:19

andy js Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> who cares ?

Do you mean "who cares" in the context of whether the Stones play IOW or not ? If so, what a bizarre comment. I'd have thought quite a few people care actually, especially the variety that would like to see the Stones in the UK this summer. Unless of course, they passionately HATE festivals per se.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: March 9, 2007 09:29

wowoowowowowow!!

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: March 9, 2007 10:36

Keane where interviewed on xfm this morning and said that they where looking forward to playing the Sunday at IOW because the band who where headlining where "an all time classic band" but they couldn't say yet who it is.

That rules out The White Stripes for me.

The DJ speculated that it was The Who, but they have already anounced other festivals this summer, there is no reason for them to hold off anouncing this one.

I believe that leaves only one...

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Date: March 9, 2007 10:44

Everything seems to be ready.......

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 9, 2007 11:31

Well, I've got my ticket for IOW already. Hence, I care.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 9, 2007 11:34

paulywaul Wrote:
> andy js Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > who cares ?
>
> Do you mean "who cares" in the context of whether
> the Stones play IOW or not ?

that's exactly what i mean. its a crap, souless festival. with a crap line up. its attended by middle of the road 'greatest hits' buying 40 somethings and their children

by 8pm Sunday night the majority have lost interest or leave to get home for work on Monday. plus there wont be any diehards there because in the bands wisdom, they decided not to announce they'd be playing before tickets sold out. wonderful!

if they wanted to play a festival they should have played Glastonbury

Date: March 9, 2007 11:50

andy js Wrote:
> paulywaul Wrote:
> -----
> > andy js Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > who cares ?
> >
> > Do you mean "who cares" in the context of
> whether
> > the Stones play IOW or not ?
>
>
> that's exactly what i mean. its a crap, souless
> festival. with a crap line up. its attended by
> middle of the road 'greatest hits' buying 40
> somethings and their children
>
> by 8pm Sunday night the majority have lost
> interest or leave to get home for work on Monday.
> plus there wont be any diehards there because in
> the bands wisdom, they decided not to announce
> they'd be playing before tickets sold out.
> wonderful!
>
> if they wanted to play a festival they should have
> played Glastonbury

Interesting. Well, I must say that I really don't know what to expect. The last time I attended any sort of a "festival", if you wanna call it that, was Knebworth in 1976. So now, some 30 years later when I'm 52 and not 22 .... it'll be vastly different that's for sure. As for the rest of the line up, I really do not care. I mean, I'll be there, so I might as well take a look and have a listen and get out of it whatever I can, but I'll really only be there for the Stones. That's assuming they get round to confirming it EVENTUALLY !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-09 14:10 by paulywaul.

Posted by: monkeymark ()
Date: March 9, 2007 13:40

I've been to Glastonbury seven times & the IOW festival twice and everyone knows that the IOW hasn't got quite the same 'vibe' as Glastonbury but it is still a good festival and certainly much better than something like V.

This years line up looks pretty lame at the moment but then they've probably had to pay the band headlining on Sunday an absolute fortune to get them there so that would explain that.

I'll be there and I think there will be quite a few more diehard stones fans there as well and that's probably the reason tickets sold out so fast compared to every other year....

Date: March 9, 2007 21:09

They will play IOW as it seems now. They are probably looking at a different crowd, new fans, and they have a connection to the people who do this festival. Also, I am told they are looking into doing one more UK festival this summer, may be in Hyde Park, may be some other place, can't really see which one, but they are for sure performing on a generic stage, like they did in Bergen 2006 and also in SarsStock Toronto 2003.

Bjornulf

Date: March 9, 2007 21:20

If they play Hyde Park on June 23rd - isnt that a 2-day gig with Aerosmith already headlining the second night?

I'd be amazed if the Stones agreed to play second fiddle to anyone by headlining the first night, especially Aerosmith.

I hope 2 festival shows arent all we're getting in the UK and that there'll be something for Stones FANS as opposed to just festival-goers this summer.

Maybe a few indoor gigs, perhaps?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-09 21:22 by Gazza.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: March 9, 2007 21:48

Let´s hope that Wembley is still a viable option. The keys are to be delivered to the FA very soon, with an open day to obtain a safety certificate. Of course they can play Wembley. It´s not rocket science.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: March 9, 2007 21:51

bv Wrote:
> They will play IOW as it seems now. They are
> probably looking at a different crowd, new fans,
> and they have a connection to the people who do
> this festival. Also, I am told they are looking
> into doing one more UK festival this summer, may
> be in Hyde Park, may be some other place, can't
> really see which one, but they are for sure
> performing on a generic stage, like they did in
> Bergen 2006 and also in SarsStock Toronto 2003.

I think Hyde Park would be great...but the website says the following about Saturday's headliner:
"A great British pioneer of music looks set to headline Saturday, joined by classic artists, both established and new, in support."

Which makes me think it's more likely to be Bowie or someone like that.
Sure hope it is the Stones, though...saw the Who there last year and it was great.
Have the Stones played there since 1969?

Lee

Date: March 9, 2007 22:57

No, they havent. Surprised that theyd choose to revisit the scene of their most famous ever concert.

Bowie hasn't any touring plans for the forseeable future, so it cant be him.

The Who were terrific there last year. Enjoyed watching it live on the web!

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: March 9, 2007 22:58

Gazza Wrote:
>
> I'd be amazed if the Stones agreed to play second
> fiddle to anyone by headlining the first night,
> especially Aerosmith.
>

I see what you're saying, but with glastonbury, the saturday night headline is seen as THE biggest show of the festival. Obviously with glasto it's over three nights, so its a bit different, but it just makes me wonder if they wouldn't actually see the hyde park gig as a support / second fiddle kind of show. As its not a festival (no camping, tighter regulations regarding curfew etc) it maybe wouldnt be seen as a 'support' gig for them to headline saturday. Just two completely seperate nights of music...?

> I hope 2 festival shows arent all we're getting in
> the UK and that there'll be something for Stones
> FANS as opposed to just festival-goers this
> summer.

Me too, surely there will be at least one or two regular shows that us stones nuts as well as the normal fans can get to.

>
> Maybe a few indoor gigs, perhaps?

Oh baby..........

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: March 9, 2007 23:01

jagger50 Wrote:
> Let´s hope that Wembley is still a viable option.
> The keys are to be delivered to the FA very soon,

Today apparently. [news.bbc.co.uk]

Unless they managed to contrive yet another cock-up.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: March 9, 2007 23:11

bv Wrote:
> Stones for sure. Pretty much for sure they say.

Too bad. They will play to a crowd that probably could´nt care less, if the rest of the lineup is something to consider. I hope for Wembley or Hyde Park, no matter how logic that may seem.
New fans BV? In what context? As recordbuyers? To small of a crowd to make any difference at all. As future concertgoers to Stonesconcerts? Will there really be any more tours? Please explain the logics behind a decision like this. I love my Stones, you all know that, but there is some questions that needs to be asked, if such scenarios as described will be true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-09 23:17 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: March 9, 2007 23:52

They must have been guaranteed big $$$$ through some sort of sponsorship. Neither IOW or Hyde Park make sense from a ticket selling perspective.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-09 23:52 by georgeV.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: March 9, 2007 23:53

Well?

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: March 10, 2007 00:55

So how much money do you think they made from Paradiso, Astoria, Brixton, Beacon, SarsStock Toronto, Bergen, Missoula, Istanbul or Shanghai? There is a long list you know. They do not play for the money only. If that was the rule then they would never go to Missoula. 21.000 people much less money than any UK festival. I know their rules but unfortunately I can't post them here. IOW and so on makes sense. But I am not the one signing the contracts. I just know how it works.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mistress ()
Date: March 10, 2007 02:30

I do not really see what would be so bad if they play the IOW Festival. Different crowd, can be interesting for them to see what reactions they get, I think.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: March 10, 2007 02:57

bv Wrote:
> So how much money do you think they made from
> Paradiso, Astoria, Brixton, Beacon, SarsStock
> Toronto, Bergen, Missoula, Istanbul or Shanghai?
> There is a long list you know. They do not play
> for the money only. If that was the rule then they
> would never go to Missoula. 21.000 people much
> less money than any UK festival. I know their
> rules but unfortunately I can't post them here.
> IOW and so on makes sense. But I am not the one
> signing the contracts. I just know how it works.

Missoula? This doesn't fit in with the shows you listed that they did for other reasons: videotaping/filming, recording, SARS festival (with $$$ gurantee) or to go to a part of the world they had never played.

They still charged $400 on the field in Missoula did they not? What was the revenue from the gate there? Probably lower than a lot of stadiums but more than most arena shows.

I am not sure how much they charged in Shanghai but I doubt the common person on the street could get in? What was the special deal with Bergen? How many people and what revenue?

I would be curious what you mean by you know their rules but can't post?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 10, 2007 12:12

the meaning being apparently
"he knows the rules but he can't post them"

Date: March 10, 2007 12:36

Whilst I agree with Mr Jimmy that Hyde Park Calling is like two seperate nights of music and playing on the Saturday is not 'second fiddle' to Aerosmith on the Sunday, the statement that 'A great British pioneer of music' indicates a solo artist rather than a group. Strange that both this event and IOW are waiting to announce major acts, so who knows?!

Date: March 10, 2007 14:20

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> Whilst I agree with Mr Jimmy that Hyde Park
> Calling is like two seperate nights of music and
> playing on the Saturday is not 'second fiddle' to
> Aerosmith on the Sunday, the statement that 'A
> great British pioneer of music' indicates a solo
> artist rather than a group. Strange that both this
> event and IOW are waiting to announce major acts,
> so who knows?!

Might we all be off tracking thinking it's the Stones ? Could it instead be Ray Davies and the Kinks finally reunited ? Or perhaps Pink floyd reunited ?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2107
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home