Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Sad But True: the Who
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 7, 2007 16:34

Hey Steven,

Lukester, ohno, possibly drake and Chelsea and myself are gonna try to get together at a Braves game in maybe May. Wanna join us for a beer?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 7, 2007 17:02

Happy Jack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw the who last night in Chicago and I gotta
> say honestly, they were better than the stones.
> They played non-stop (save for a brief encore
> break) for 2 and half hours. In that time the
> energy didnt seem to waiver at all, and Rogers
> voice was strong throughout. Pete windmilled, lept
> about and played with great intensity. As always
> Starkey was in great form, playing with a nice but
> ferocious sound. However most amazing was Pino
> Palladino on bass. Since replacing Entwistle 3 and
> half years ago, Palladino has really come into his
> own. WHile not as flashy as Entwistles playing
> (but then again who could be?) Palladino is solid
> and loud. This was the first show where i could
> literally feel his presence.
> Overall a great show (even if the surrounding
> audience was rather lethargic and security were
> being pricks). Highlights for me included a great
> version of Naked Eye (a song id been hoping to see
> for awhile) a great jam on My Generation and the
> Tommy section. If given the chance, go see these
> guys, they still rock!

I'd expect such a statement from a guy with your name.
I agree that The Who are way more wild than the Stones at the R 'n R Circus, but musically nothing at that concert beats No Expectations. Or JJF for that matter.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 7, 2007 17:03

We'd expect a statement like that from a guy with YOUR name!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 7, 2007 17:07

Gazza Wrote:
> We'd expect a statement like that from a guy with
> YOUR name!

Touché and ARGH!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: March 7, 2007 17:10

Elmo,
A Braves game might be fun. I'm headed to Tampa this weekend. I have a block of 10 Who fan club tix in the 2nd row and have been in training for the Mother of all Parties for a while. Should be a great time.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: March 7, 2007 17:43

Steven Wrote:
> lmatth8461 wrote:
> "I guess you're the same Happy Jack as on the
> Who's forum?"
>
> No he is not, I am.

Er, OK....not confusing at all....

Lee

Date: March 7, 2007 17:47

Steven, stay in touch.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: March 7, 2007 18:26

I agree. Saw them in Phx.. The energy was great and no theatrics. The band and some screens. The band was awesome. I could not take my eyes off Starkey. Pete was great and his energy was noticeable. After seeing many Stones shows it was nice to see something new and different. 25-27 songs was nice too.The encore was blistering. I am glad I got to see them.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: March 7, 2007 20:34

Happy Jack Wrote:
> I saw the who last night in Chicago and I gotta
> say honestly, they were better than the stones.
> They played non-stop (save for a brief encore
> break) for 2 and half hours. In that time the
> energy didnt seem to waiver at all, and Rogers
> voice was strong throughout. Pete windmilled, lept
> about and played with great intensity. As always
> Starkey was in great form, playing with a nice but
> ferocious sound. However most amazing was Pino
> Palladino on bass. Since replacing Entwistle 3 and
> half years ago, Palladino has really come into his
> own. WHile not as flashy as Entwistles playing
> (but then again who could be?) Palladino is solid
> and loud. This was the first show where i could
> literally feel his presence.
> Overall a great show (even if the surrounding
> audience was rather lethargic and security were
> being pricks). Highlights for me included a great
> version of Naked Eye (a song id been hoping to see
> for awhile) a great jam on My Generation and the
> Tommy section. If given the chance, go see these
> guys, they still rock!

In september 2006 I did see The Who and Rolling Stones live in 2 weeks time in New York. Who was a great rock experience. Lots of energy, as expected, but I will prefer Stones live any day.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: March 8, 2007 01:59

For me, there's the Stones and then there's the rest of the world of rock with quite a space between the first place and the rest. I've seen the WHO 6 times, 4 times with Keith Moon when they were truly THE WHO, once with Kenney Jones and then the newer version at the Concert for New York. The energy was still there ( at least it was in 2001)but for me, Daltry's voice is shot, unlike Mick's voice which has gotten better with age. Townsend is always awesome but one man does not a band make! I rather prefer his solo material to the Who of today; I bought their latest cd and I think it STINKS! In their day, The WHO was my second favorite band and seeing Tommy all the way through and Who's Next also were highlights of my life! They were unlike any other band, and although I always preferred the Stones, the were HOT! IMO they are way past their hayday.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 8, 2007 02:06

i saw them in chicago last time around - good show but i DON'T agree they blow the stones away! i have always been a who fan too.

daltry's voice is pretty much gone and they seemed to use a recording for the beginning of baba o'reilly.

the stones are much more exciting...

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: March 8, 2007 02:13

I loved the Who with Moon, I still think Live at Leeds is the best live album ever by any band but I vowed in 89 I would never see them again, one of the worst shows I have seen Townsend strumming an accoustic for more then half the show and let some hack play all the leads but after hearing these reviews maybe I should give them another chance even if Daltery's voice is shot

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: March 8, 2007 02:23

Last time i saw the Who was many years ago, so i have no comments about their current tour. I have to say just one thing: Then they were very good, but not better than the Stones.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: March 8, 2007 02:46

Gazza Wrote:
> We'd expect a statement like that from a guy with
> YOUR name!

Id expect anyone with a stones-themed name to be biased towards the stones. Also Im not aware of a who-forum, especially not one as active as this one.
Also of course they used a taped beginning to Baba O'Riley, they have been since 1971. I enjoy reading everyones comments, but I still stand by my original statement. For a near-penniless grad student, id rather spend 200 dollars to see the Who rather than spend 300 to hear the stones.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 8, 2007 02:51

You know what's really sad but true. You know what I saw when I went to see The Who in Reno? A solid,well rehearsed show delivered by a group of professional musicians. You know what I saw when I went to see Bob Seger? A guy absolutly enjoying what he's doing and playing the music he loves.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: musicsmyteefine ()
Date: March 8, 2007 03:08

Gonna see them again in 2 days....Atlantic City in a small venue. Gotta say I saw them in Philly last fall in a hockey arena and they were really, really good...not as good as the Stones shows I saw (saw 4 of those!) but amazing all the same, particularly since Entwistle and Moon are long gone.

And yes, compared to the Who show I saw in the early 80's the current Who is much better now! I recall the Clash opened for them (81?) and were better than the Who. Here's to the Who and the Stones...incredibly both playing and performing incredibly well in 2007!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 8, 2007 03:09

wait a second what about all the stones lineup changes, why are the stones still the stones but the who were not the who when moon died?

Posted by: marbles ()
Date: March 8, 2007 09:01

Happy Jack-I'm glad I am not alone. I was at the Chicago show Tuesday night & I completely agree with you. For anyone that hasn't seen the Who lately, do so! This was my 5th or 6th time seeing them over the past nearly 30 years & it was by far the best. One thing I disagree with you a little is on Roger's voice. It was ok, but it's nowhere near what it used to be. But Pete just absolutely blew me away. I love Keith Richards but on their respective most recent tours, there is no comparison whatsoever. Pete played like he didn't even know there was an audience there...all he cared about was destroying (not literally for those of yopu wondering) his guitar. Keith seems to be more intersted in posing for the cameras these days. I'm still a big stones fan & actually prefer their music to that of the Who but Pete Townshend rules these days.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 8, 2007 09:51

The Who in Chicago in '83 was definitely better than last year in Chicago.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: March 8, 2007 09:53

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> 1981 - First saw the Stones - Highlight of my life
> to that point (excepting sex)
> 1982 - The Who blew the Stones asses away
>
Hah! The very same is true for me too. But I had much better seats for the Who, which was a factor.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: March 8, 2007 11:48

They were absolutely brilliant during their UK stint last year.

However, my concern is that in playing so well, they could pretty soon burn themselves out.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: March 8, 2007 12:15

marbles Wrote:
> Happy Jack-I'm glad I am not alone. I was at the
> Chicago show Tuesday night & I completely agree
> with you. For anyone that hasn't seen the Who
> lately, do so! This was my 5th or 6th time seeing
> them over the past nearly 30 years & it was by far
> the best. One thing I disagree with you a little
> is on Roger's voice. It was ok, but it's nowhere
> near what it used to be. But Pete just absolutely
> blew me away. I love Keith Richards but on their
> respective most recent tours, there is no
> comparison whatsoever. Pete played like he didn't
> even know there was an audience there...all he
> cared about was destroying (not literally for
> those of yopu wondering) his guitar. Keith seems
> to be more intersted in posing for the cameras
> these days. I'm still a big stones fan & actually
> prefer their music to that of the Who but Pete
> Townshend rules these days.

Hey marbles, where were you sitting? i was up on the third balcony and the crowd remained seated most of the time. Really annoying as my friend and I wanted to stand up and dance around and such. When we did, we went back behind the seats, were a very rude security guard promptly told us and three other guys to return to our seats. I begged him to let me stay were I was till the end of Baba O'Riley but he pushed us along back to our seats. That helped put a damper on the show.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: March 8, 2007 12:25

The Who is on tour recently, there is space now for a little Who vs Stones match.
It was the same in the last couple of years: Springsteen vs Stones, Pearl Jam vs Stones, Chilli Peppers vs Stones, etc..., and it is ridicuolus...

Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: March 8, 2007 15:46

Happy Jack Wrote:
. Also Im not aware of a
> who-forum, especially not one as active as this
> one.

I found this one the other day:

[whochat.proboards35.com]

Date: March 8, 2007 16:05

charmed's comment about Bob Seger is so right. The guy is loving every minute of being out there.

Posted by: marbles ()
Date: March 8, 2007 16:38

Happy Jack-I was in section 117 which is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way back on the side(Pete's side). In our section about 90% of the people stood for the entire show. Maybe 25% sat during the Endless Wire mini-opera as Pete called it. I don't know if you could see the main floor that well or not but I noticed the entire main floor stood for the whole show. I also did look up in the rafters a few times & noticed most people were sitting. It's too bad you had those problems, there have been many complaints over the years here & elsewhere about people complaining about standing at a concert...it's a joke. My kids even got a good laugh out of my dancing. I still can't believe how good a show it was. I went to see the RHCP a week ago & I thought they were pretty good but as I said before, Pete just blew me away. BTW, I too was glad they played "Naked Eye" as that was the one song they occasionally would leave out of the setlist (as a matter of fact, I just checked & they left it out last night in Indy). Have you ever witnessed a more impressive encore? 6 songs no less!

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: March 8, 2007 18:03

I saw the Who twice last November (exact same setlists). Infact, one was back to back nights with the Stones in Vegas. There is not even a comparison. The Who are great. The Stones are still the greatest.

I thought Rogers voice has lost a great deal of its 'high notes'(I have seen them around 10 times, mostly in the 70's). Micks voice seems to only get better.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: March 8, 2007 20:07

Townshend is still the best guitarist on the planet for my money. The Who are still great entertainment, but much more Pete with Roger singing than "The Who". Frankly, much as I loved Moon, John is missed much more than Keith.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 8, 2007 22:39

It's Pete and Roger.Half a band.So not a fair comparison against our super heroes.For me the last great Who gig was for 911.I think they nose dived after Entwhistle.Still give me the Stones anyday.

Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: March 9, 2007 02:58

I've read posts that say the Who are currently spectacular or currently suck pretty bad. Glad I'm going to see 'em in a couple of weeks to figure it out myself.

And I'll take 'em both....the Stones AND the Who.......

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home