Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Pet Sounds and Aftermath
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 6, 2007 15:47

oops - too slow.
it's the only dual-version album that i really prefer the US version of -
they're both great, but the US one flows a lot better for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-06 15:51 by with sssoul.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 6, 2007 16:11

I think the reason Pet Sounds has gained more universal acclaim than Aftermath is because the Stones were not at their Zenith in 1966 and the Beach Boys were. There was so much more to come from our band in later years, that Aftermath, with its 1966 production value, was turning a bit pale in comparison.

Going home was the first time ever a rock band put a long and extended jam on an album I guess. Bob Dylan made long songs at the time, but they were long songs, with a lot of lyrics, because mister Zimmerman sometimes had a lot to say in his songs. But the Stones put an unstructured jam on their album (besides a lot of A-rated songs) and it worked out fine. What makes this jam special is that Mick is actually taking the lead with all his ad lib singing and Keith and Brian are following him. They had no idea where to go, but after all they were going home and we went with them.

I prefer the UK version of the album, but that is mainly because I had this one on LP since I was 14. But I think "What to do" is really a cool little song.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2007 16:29

I guess we in the US got a lot of these on Flowers. The inclusion of "Out Of Time" certainly makes it stronger.

I may make my own Aftermath using the US Aftermath and Flowers. Working title -Afterbirth? winking smiley

Thanks for the lists.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 6, 2007 16:43

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> oops - too slow.
> it's the only dual-version album that i really
> prefer the US version of -
> they're both great, but the US one flows a lot
> better for me.

The U.S. Between the Buttons that opens with LSTNT is certainly better than it's UK cousin that starts with Yesterdays Papers.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 6, 2007 16:54

I surely think "
Goin Home" fits on Aftermath, but I have to be in the mood to listen to the whole thing. I much prefer the UK version, as I do with all the alternate ones. So w/me GH sits smack in the middle of tracklisting. We were not around and I think the length of the tune alone, with the whole rapping thing must have been pretty revolutionary back then.
I love the UK version for Side 2. All those quick short perfect popsongs beginning with "It's not easy" ending with "What to do".

BTW, another great '65 album is
"The Who Sings My Generation". Their first album. I am NO Who fan. But I like the early songs like "Legal Matter" etc

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 6, 2007 17:02

Indeed, since we got CDs Going Home is right there in the middle of the UK album. In the good old days Going home finished the first side of the album. Nobody would ever think of playing Aftermath at school parties when I attended school. But we had a lot of fun with Still Live, that ended with the speeded Satisfaction to have our parties heated up!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 6, 2007 17:10

Pet Sounds is a work of genius, and among the greatest albums in rock history. But, why is it that I listen to Aftermath more often?

Date: March 6, 2007 18:05

>> Bob Dylan made long songs at the time, but they were long songs <<

actually i'm 92% sure that when it came out, Going Home was the longest track
that had ever been released on a popular-music record: another case of the Stones breaking down barriers.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: March 6, 2007 18:07

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >> Bob Dylan made long songs at the time, but they
> were long songs <<
>
> actually i'm 92% sure that when it came out, Going
> Home was the longest track
> that had ever been released on a popular-music
> record: another case of the Stones breaking down
> barriers.

It probably held the title until "Rapper's Delight" came out.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 6, 2007 18:37

desolation row was 11 minutes and released 1965; just as a matter of trivia...
also dylan's single 'lars' was the first single over 4 minutes and certainly the first, and perhpas last, over 4 minute #1 record in pop history.

Date: March 6, 2007 18:43

smile: thanks Beelyboy - i was just lookin at the times on Dylan tracks.

>> perhaps last <<

nah - but have some popcorn anyway.
and/or maybe some of these Japanese wasabi-coated peas? hot stuff :E

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: March 6, 2007 19:37

I remember long songs becoming popular around that time, and I loved and still love Going Home. However I just did a web search and here's what I found.

Pink Floyd Interstellar Overdrive (EP version) 16:46 1966

This is from this web site:

[www.dprp.net]

Amazing what you can find on the web ....

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Date: March 6, 2007 21:38

Marvpeck, when you look at the site you linked, isn't it amazing how in the 60's you might have 1 or 2 listings per year. Then for every year in the 70's it shoots way up, only to drop radically in 1980 again. I thought that I might already see a decline in 78, but it looks like it took a while for Punk to impact deep enough.

Date: March 6, 2007 21:47

interesting! since those two long 1966 numbers weren't on LPs, i wonder if
the source of my notion about Going Home wasn't thinking of LP tracks.
now if we can just find a list that includes 11-minute-plus tracks ...
anyway have some of this popcorn and/or the wasabi-coated peas.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 6, 2007 21:50

Sad Eyed Lady of The Low Lands on Blonde On Blonde lasts for 14 minutes, or thereabouts, and it was released in April 1966...if memory serves me right.

Date: March 6, 2007 21:54

Just checked,
the sad eyed lady ticks in at 11:30

Date: March 6, 2007 21:54

hm: this site states that Interstellar Overdrive wasn't recorded until february 1967: [ourworld.compuserve.com]
it seems that Amplitude (which is a jazz recording anyway) came out in november 66.
i think Blonde on Blonde was may/june 66, no? Aftermath [UK] came out in april 66.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-06 21:58 by with sssoul.

Date: March 6, 2007 21:58

>> think Blonde on Blonde was may/june 1966, no? Aftermath [UK] came out in april 66. <<

Yes, my bad, it's mid May 1966.

Date: March 6, 2007 22:01

smile: have some popcorn and/or wasabi-coated peas anyway.

Date: March 6, 2007 22:09

One consideration in this discussion I think is that some of the songs we are talking about might have been played live in concert long before theyw ere officially recorded. Pink Floyd played Overdrive live way before it was officially released. Velvet Underground, Hendrix, Allman Bros, the Dead, Jefferson - all probably had longer live versions of some classic 3 -minuters.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 6, 2007 22:16

right... the stones probably had to perform with blues artists like Howlin' Wolf to learn that the <3 minute versions they were accustomed to were adaptations for recording. In live settings, songs would go on much longer, and music would play continuously, with a distinct "song" not always emerging.

Date: March 6, 2007 22:32

>> some of the songs we are talking about might have been played in concert <<

well yeah! but i thought we were talking about records/releases - i was, anyway.
the Stones were playing way-long versions of Hey Crawdaddy in 62/63,
but it's one thing to put something across in a show, and another to get a record company to release it
when it wasn't the norm, and yet another to make an innovative record that turns out to be a hit
and that people are still listening to 40+ years later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-06 22:54 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 6, 2007 23:39

Pet Sounds is ground breaking, without it music would have not been what it is today. Aftermath is a really great album, but it didn't change the face of the earth. Pet Sounds winds hands down, but personally I can not listen to it.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 6, 2007 23:49

From Melody Maker 30th July 1966...

"Andrew Loog Oldham - The Rolling Stones manager: I think that 'Pet Sounds' is the most progressive album of the year, in as much as Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Scheherezade' was. It is the pop equivalent of that. A complete exercise in pop technique. Personally I consider it to be a fantastic album. The lyrics are tremendous. The way Wilson has suited them to the songs is outstanding. I see pop music as a form of escapism, and 'Pet Sounds' is a great example of escapism."

Date: March 7, 2007 00:49

I also went out and got the Beach Boys album. Could not get myself to be intersted in it. I guess I respect it as all it is supposed to be but much like Sgt Pepper it doesn't do much for me. Pepper is by far my least fave Beatles album.

Date: March 7, 2007 04:10

CD, Pet Sounds (like Exile) grows on ya with repeated listenings.

Date: March 7, 2007 04:47

Elmo, will return to the well.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 7, 2007 10:18

On Pet Sounds the tracks God Only Knows and Here Today are masterpieces imo, but I dont really feel the rest.

For a little background to the album...

[www.beachboysfanclub.com]

[www.beachboysfanclub.com]

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: March 7, 2007 23:00

The UK Aftermath is far better than the US version. Both PS and Aftermath are milestone recordings for both groups.

Date: March 8, 2007 16:04

The re-issue of Pet Sounds with both mono and stereo mixes (as well as "Hang On To Your Ego") contains extentsive liner notes from Brian and others.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home