Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Van Morrison Tour
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 4, 2007 09:27

I'm still a bit mad that Morrison couldn't open for the Stones in Vancouver last November but last week he swung through Western Canada. I didn't go to see him but I've read several reviews of people who did who weren't pleased.
From what I understand, he has no opening act and he starts at 7:30 pm exactly. He rarely acknowledges the crowd and doesn't say anything between songs. His concert runs 90 minutes exactly literally to the second and then he leaves.

Re: OT: Van Morrison Tour
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 4, 2007 14:07

yep, with van one has to go get 'into the music' period.
he's famous, or infamous, for the behaviours you described above...
for his entire career actually...
so peeps can't expect the usual show biz warmth and welcome stuff...
but they can expect a master original showing up to launch himself, and others, seriously into the mystic...for me his shows are tremendously exciting. he goes deep.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 4, 2007 17:57

DGA35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm still a bit mad that Morrison couldn't open
> for the Stones in Vancouver last November but last
> week he swung through Western Canada. I didn't go
> to see him but I've read several reviews of people
> who did who weren't pleased.
> From what I understand, he has no opening act and
> he starts at 7:30 pm exactly. He rarely
> acknowledges the crowd and doesn't say anything
> between songs. His concert runs 90 minutes
> exactly literally to the second and then he
> leaves.

I cant understand this fixation people have with artists talking to them. If I wanted to hear someone talk, I'd go and see a comedian. And this "youre a fantastic audience - the best we've ever had" shit gets cliched, insincere and tiresome once youve heard it two or three times. He says 'thank you' after most songs. Shouldnt that be enough patter?

Saw him a month ago here in Belfast, his hometown. 90 minutes exactly, a nice selection of songs from throughout his career and a top notch performance, if a little shorter than I'd have liked. The fact that he 'doesnt tell ya jokes or fairytales' - to use a Dylan quote - didnt make me enjoy it any less. Of course, the newspaper review the next day acknowledged that the music was good but still moaned about him not talking enough and therefore that he wasnt an "entertainer", but then the idiot who wrote that is probably more used to going to Take That of Justin Timberlake concerts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-04 18:19 by Gazza.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 4, 2007 18:04

Listen to the shoes Anaheim LA show...Jagger almost silent between numbers...people booing...after miss you he begun to talk to the La crowd again.....he was down and out....but i love that show!!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 4, 2007 18:33

I Saw him at the Leeds T and C a few years back.I found his whole performance arrogant and full of his own self importance.Thank god the Stones dont lord it up on stage like he did.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home