Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best bootleg SOUND experience
Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: March 2, 2007 23:42

I really didnt know how to title this thread. I was listening to an old boot I had from Vinyl- a 3 disc black box set of LA 75 shows on Slipped disc records which is at least 23 years old and for me, this really is the best mix of sound quality AND audience excitement. I've heard this concert from a CD version where the sound is crisper the music is more upfront but I dont like it as much. I feel the same way about Liver SD 69. I guess I just like the somewhat crappy sound. Anyone agree?

Re: Best bootleg SOUND experience
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 2, 2007 23:52

That's because most LA 75 releases is from a different source than the 3LP set.
The 4CD box from Dandelion uses the same source as the vinyl, while the famous LA Friday 75 from VGP has the "not-too-good"-source,
I'm not sure about the 1975 Tour Of The Americas release from VGP uses the vinyl-source...but I thik it does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-02 23:58 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 2, 2007 23:54

Hmmm -- I prefer the audience being distant but audible, as on the often-mentioned "Handsome Girls" set. Prefer soundboard over audience recordings. An exception might be "Welcome to New York". On this excellent soundboard, the audience is nearly non-existent, which I find a bit off-putting.

However, the worst of the lot (at least for me) are the audience recordings in which you hear the taper and nearby folks endlessly jabbering or singing along (yuck!) throughout the show.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: March 3, 2007 00:09

bassplayer617 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> However, the worst of the lot (at least for me)
> are the audience recordings in which you hear the
> taper and nearby folks endlessly jabbering or
> singing along (yuck!) throughout the show.

Agreed, just listened to Beacon Theatre 1st Nov 2006, didn`t enjoy it that much.. Martin S and Mick J have a HUGE overdubbing program to do!

Date: March 3, 2007 00:11

Eric--where do you find out about the sources of differing boot recordings. online resouces? Is there a site that compares differernt issues of the same concert for example.I'd like to do some research.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-03 00:13 by voodoocat.

Date: March 3, 2007 00:15

Voodoocat, I didn't know about that LA75 thing before a great person at dime made me aware. But there's several sources, the best one might be Basement News magazine, but they just closed down.

Date: March 3, 2007 00:21

Voodoocat, this one is good for reviews of recent CD boot releases,
[www.rollingstonesnet.com]
They're spot-on, most of the time,
only negative is that they don't mention minor-differences between releases.
For instance they rate the quality of 2 boots, from the same show, "Excellent Stereo", while in reality...one is better than the other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-03 00:24 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 3, 2007 00:27

Thanks Eric-I think I remember Basement NEws now. If I remember there was also a print mag called Hot Wax. It would be great if perhaps in HOT STUFF someone started a thread with their impressions of different sources of the same concert. Personally I love the 78 tour but I find that Mick's voice is mixed way too loud- on Garden State 78 and Hansome Girls.

Date: March 3, 2007 00:30

Hot Wax..I have some books Hot Wacks, did they make a magazine too ?
The books were not useful in their review/rating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-03 00:30 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: March 3, 2007 01:06

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Voodoocat, this one is good for reviews of recent
> CD boot releases,
> [www.rollingstonesnet.com]
> They're spot-on, most of the time,
> only negative is that they don't mention
> minor-differences between releases.
> For instance they rate the quality of 2 boots,
> from the same show, "Excellent Stereo", while in
> reality...one is better than the other.

Thank you for that link!
I've never had been to that great site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-03 01:07 by RollingStonesFan.

Date: March 3, 2007 01:25

eric- thanks for the link. Looks like some good info. But as you said they dont really compare subtle differences. THe Hot Wax mag I had was a listing of bootlegs with basic info but some issues focused on indivual groups and artists devoting part of the mag to more in deapth reviews.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: March 3, 2007 01:31

Give a listen to Honky Tonk Women from the '97 Double Door gig in Chicago. Once the chorus hits, the crowd takes over, and it's one of the most sensational, uplifting things I've ever heard.

Date: March 3, 2007 01:51

Jumpin'JackFrash Wrote:
> Give a listen to Honky Tonk Women from the '97
> Double Door gig in Chicago. Once the chorus hits,
> the crowd takes over, and it's one of the most
> sensational, uplifting things I've ever heard.

I agree. I have this CD. Great Stones/audience mix. You really feel like you're there. great setlist too w/Crazy Moma and Shame

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-03 01:55 by voodoocat.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 3, 2007 04:33

Liver Than You'll Ever Be = Not so great soundwise, but great excitement and energy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-03 04:34 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: March 3, 2007 11:13

voodoocat Wrote:
> eric- thanks for the link. Looks like some good
> info. But as you said they dont really compare
> subtle differences. THe Hot Wax mag I had was a
> listing of bootlegs with basic info but some
> issues focused on indivual groups and artists
> devoting part of the mag to more in deapth
> reviews.

Right!
Also many bootlegs on Jumping Jack Flash (for example the recording of Stuttgart 2006, which you can download from torrent), or if someone has "Madrid 2003"...actually more crowd that Mick!

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: March 3, 2007 13:17

I am with you on this voodoocat. I have the triple vinyl (Tour of Americas 1975) and the CD (LA Friday). Whilst the CD is great (one of the best?), I do prefer the old vinyl recording for atmosphere, sound (less keyboards) and overall enjoyment.

Date: March 4, 2007 01:19

What always killed me was how the stones could be so good in concert yet all of their offical live albums from Love you Live forward pale when comapare to a well balance boot of the same tour.THe mix on LYL was terrible. Even the more intimate side 3 el Macambo the guitars were spaced too far apart and the rhythm got lost.YOu've got to have a delicate balance between audience and stones for mood and excitement- otherwise what's the point. Licks/Flicks would have been much better with a more dirty mix. when you have 8 or 9 support players sharing the stage with the boys all recorded in digital clarity it only takes away from the stones performance. All the filler-keyboards & horns etc- comes to the front and really gets annoying. I think this is what pissed off a lot of people on the thread " IS the new stones sound boring". That said I do have my limits on crappy sound. Wesley was right the sound on Beacon show made it unlisenable.I tried listening to Some Girls and couldnt get thru it. Perhaps the all time worst worst sound I remember was from a 1970 boot Essen.

Date: March 4, 2007 01:24

voodoocat Wrote:
> Perhaps the all time worst worst sound I remember
> was from a 1970 boot Essen.

EH, that one's really good, IMO,
try Vienna 1970 for bad sound

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 4, 2007 01:34

I heard Essen once, a while back and thought it was pretty good also.

I did recently hear one of the Beacon shows and, honestly, I thought...it sucked. I am not sure if it was solely the performance or not, but jeez, Marty has his work cut out for him, maybe he can make chicken salad......suppose we will soon find out.

Date: March 4, 2007 01:38

I haven't even listened through Beacon yet, just some of the songs, I must admit. It's different with shows from the 60s and 70s, they are worth listening to even if the sound is somewhat lousy, but one expect better sound from recordings 1989-2006

Date: March 4, 2007 01:45

My guess is that security at the Beacon was pretty tight.

I am finding it harder and harder to listen to anything post '82 and DEFINITELY nothing from this tour. Some of the shows are borderline embarrassing. And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, yes I went to this tour and yes I had a great time.

As for bootleg sounds---I much prefer a SB with the audience present. Audience recordings almost always strike me as though the band was playing in a warhouse someplace. Boston '69 suffers from this though I think the performance was very very good--on a par with Ya Yas, imo.

Date: March 4, 2007 02:52

I'm listening to the vinyl source of 07/13/75 right now,
and again it strikes me..that this is the best sound of ANY Stones audience recording prior to 1999! It doesn't make it worse that it's a mayhem of energy on stage too...

Date: March 4, 2007 03:02

Eric - funny you should mention Vienna! Had the misfortune to pick that one up too. After the Essen boot. My Essen boot was packaged in a white cardboard with the inticing words " two great albums, cheap". Both Essen and Vienna are unlistenable.take away the drums and the bass and play that thru a 60's transistor radio.Essen just sticks in my mind because I always kick myself for buying a boot titled "two great albums, cheap." I was so pissed off cause I had all the classic 69 shows from the US and I really wanted to hear what they'd do with the added horn section from the 70 shows. Have you ever heard " street hassle in LA" ? It's a decent audience show from 69 - not as good as SD shows or Liver but better that Boston or Baltimore. Worth a listen.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 4, 2007 03:25

When ya acomin' outta the Stones coma and ya heart's a beatin' like a mad-dog on heat
and the room is trashed then ya know it was a goooooooood one......Play 'em LOUD Bucko....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 4, 2007 03:39

Hahaha, you have to love those gooooood ones

Date: March 4, 2007 03:41

Australia '73 is one the best Stones Tours ever--prefer to Europe because still had Nicky Hopkins.

Date: March 4, 2007 03:42

voodoocat Wrote:
> Eric - funny you should mention Vienna! Had the
> misfortune to pick that one up too.

Vienna 1970, are you sure ?
I don't think that was ever released on vinyl, only on 2 diff. CD releases,
BTW, Essen 1970 and some other boots are released in better quality on some CD versions, Ice Cream In The Foyer is a good one...CDR release from Coast2Coast.

Date: March 4, 2007 04:15

Erik--the '75 Stones shows in LA were taped by the late, great Mike Millard who is legendary in bootleg circles---he used to have a Nak deck affixed to the bottom of a wheel chair. His Zeppelin shows are AMAZING. Page used some of his boots on the "Easter Eggs" of Led Zeppelin DVD.

A Hall of Fame bootlegger.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: March 4, 2007 05:00

I acutally find that Glasgow '06 has a pretty fair sound to it. I used to have the Rio show and First Bang in Tokyo, but I didn't like them all that much: they sounded too cavernous - you could tell that either the open air, or poor acoustics of the room were swallowing up the sound.

Glasgow '06 is a very fresh sound. The guitars are real nice in the mix. Everything is very crisp and audible. It makes you feel like you're in the first 15 rows (not that I would know). I assume it's a soundboard, but it's real great. If you haven't heard it, I'd give it a shot.

It works best if you listen to SMU off of it. You can really hear that chunky telecaster noise, and I like that

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 4, 2007 11:22

>> It works best if you listen to SMU [from Glasgow 06] <<

SMU being the number that isn't actually from Glasgow, in the broadcast version -
at the show Keith's guitar went south during SMU. has it been determined where this SMU actually came from?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1373
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home