Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rod
Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: March 5, 2007 07:38

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 21:31 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 5, 2007 07:54

i don't know who that is. i didn't watch much tv in the 80s...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 5, 2007 13:07

Rod Stewart 1973 - Charles Gatewood

ROCKMAN

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: March 5, 2007 20:04

I feel for the Cheeta that was slaughtered

Posted by: wesleyman ()
Date: March 5, 2007 22:05

saw him a few weeks ago. 300 level of arena was blacked out so only the 100 and 200 level were available. low ticket sales perhaps. never have I seen so many women at a concert. Whenever rod would walk around the catwalks, all these older women would rush the stage to hold out their hands and scream. I couldnt help but think that rod must have been thinking times must have really changed. Back in the 70's there must have been a lot of young girls screaming for him. Now he is left with 50 and 60 year olds. such is life. anyway, i was a little nervous that he would sing a lot of frank sinatra type tunes. it wasnt like that at all. i dont wanna talk about it, maggie may,etc. all great. even the "new" stuff was good. cat steven's father & son, have you ever seen the rain? good solid covers. I also really like his attitude. Very friendly and joking with the crowd. didnt take himself too seriously. I would see again.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 5, 2007 22:12

queenie wrote:

i hate moustaches...

Yeah, me too, especially on women! winking smiley

Posted by: voodookeef ()
Date: March 5, 2007 22:20

I saw him a couple of times between 1991 and 2003 but have to admit that I preferred the 1990s shows - they really rocked... just can't stand that recent American Songbook stuff - sorry - but IMO most of it is just crap

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 5, 2007 23:34

i hate moustaches...

Yeah, me too, especially on women!

Well Elmo....at least a couple of guys dont mind 'em...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: March 5, 2007 23:56

I'm sorry I missed The Faces in Seattle in ?March? 1975. Dang!

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: March 6, 2007 01:24

Let me be honest - I was/am a huge Rod fan - I never turned my back on him - bought every record/cd since mid=seventies and have seen him at least 15 times over the years. But this show SUCKS! yes the set consists of some great classic songs he hasnt sung live in 30 years but the stage setup is not only in the round but he is raised above the entire band. Speaking of which it sucks sounds like a bad studio band - trust me I never thought I would trash rod like this but he has pushed it too far. BORING and though I am 46 I felt 15 at that show - my fathers nursing home didnt have that many people with walkers and disabilities......... What the hell happen to Rock and Roll??????

Date: March 6, 2007 03:03

What the hell happen to Rock and Roll??????

That is the question of the year. I blame the 3-headed monster of MTV, rap, and Kurt Cobain.

Shattered - I'm a Rod fan with similar credential as yours. Missed this tour (a rarity for me), maybe that's good.

Posted by: thor ()
Date: March 6, 2007 05:42

I last saw Rod Stewart with the Faces in 1972 (?) but I have to admit that although that show goes down among the greatest of all time for me, i am thinking of going to see this show...he's aged, I've aged...maybe the experience would be worthwhile.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 6, 2007 17:22

I saw him back I think around '84 and it was fantastic rock and roll.

I admittedly got tickets because Jeff Beck was going to be on guitar for the tour but they got into some sort of spat and he dropped off after only a few shows. They were offering refunds prior to attending to anyone who wanted one due to that. I considered it but thought, what the hell, and am glad I didn't!

Played some stuff I'd never heard before that was real good like "Tora! Tora! Tora!" (reminds me "Where the Boys Go" on Emotional Rescue). Another stand out was "She Won't Dance With Me". He even did one or two solo acoustic songs (just himself on guitar) which I found interesting since I didn't know he played guitar (although it was very basic chords). He did Bruce Springsteen's "Hungry Heart" that way.

I have seen him a few times since, and each show got further away from that truly great rock and roll experience. Enjoyable nonetheless though. But not as good as that first show I saw.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 6, 2007 17:45

That is very interesting about the stage set-up. I can't even imagine it. Is it like the band is in an orchestra pit? That's ridiculous.

The Stones, on the other hand, are probably too generous with the stage! But, can you imagine the boys on stage, with the horns, Bernard, Lisa, Blondie and maybe even Chuck playing in a pit below them? How disrespectful would that seem?

Date: March 6, 2007 18:00

kovach, I saw that tour too. The other acoustic song he did on that tour was "Dock Of The Bay".

"Tora, Tora, Tora, Out With The Boys" is very similar to "Where The Boys Go", even the girls and guys responding to each other near the end. There's a song on Foolish Behaviour ("Better Off Dead") that's similar to "Rip This Joint" and one on Tonight I'm Yours that's a "Miss You" rip-off.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: March 6, 2007 20:20

I used to be one of the biggest Rod Stewart fans/supporters on the planet--through thick and thin (mostly thin, admittedly)--but I've given up. I quit. I'm done with it. I kept hoping he'd make a late career artistic come-back like Dylan but obviously the money is more important than any legacy. He does have a lavish livestyle and family to support so I guess he doesn't have much of a choice but couldn't he do just ONE MORE REAL, ORIGINAL, HEART-FELT ALBUM with Ronnie for the true blue fans and then continue on doing them for the bank?

Date: March 7, 2007 04:14

Good post, JK. He really needs to sit down and listen to "Old Raincoat", "Cut Across Shorty", "Every Picture", "Reason To Believe", etc. and aim for that level again. Do that and plenty of sales will follow.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 7, 2007 05:31

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> kovach, I saw that tour too. The other acoustic
> song he did on that tour was "Dock Of The Bay".
>
> "Tora, Tora, Tora, Out With The Boys" is very
> similar to "Where The Boys Go", even the girls and
> guys responding to each other near the end.
> There's a song on Foolish Behaviour ("Better Off
> Dead") that's similar to "Rip This Joint" and one
> on Tonight I'm Yours that's a "Miss You" rip-off.

Elmo both Rod albums A Night on the Town and Foot Loose & Fancy Free have that crunching Stones guitar sound on them. Which is probably why those are 2 of my favorite Rod albums. Of course Every Picture Tells a Story is an all time rock classic and where I got my latest signature from.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Forty Niks ()
Date: March 7, 2007 06:49

drbryant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The Stones, on the other hand, are probably too
> generous with the stage! But, can you imagine the
> boys on stage, with the horns, Bernard, Lisa,
> Blondie and maybe even Chuck playing in a pit
> below them? How disrespectful would that seem?

you refer of course to the b stage?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 7, 2007 16:21

SweetCharmedLife, the guitar player on most of those late 70's, early 80's albums, still lives here in St. Louis and plays regularly at festivals and is a mainstay almost every other weekend at a bar called the Great Grizzly Bear (one of several blues bars in our Soulard neighborhood...for anyone familiar with the St. Louis area).

His name is Billy Peek (who also has a few albums out).

Nice guy, met him a few times, he even will throw Hot Legs into his set on occasion.

Prior to playing with Rod Steward, he was in Chuck Berry's band for a long time.

Might keep an ear open for him...

Date: March 7, 2007 16:28

Yeah, Billy was a good player. Foot Loose and Night both had good, crunchy guitar sounds - "Balltrap", "Wild Side", "Born Loose", etc.

I spent a lot of time with these albums - my junior and senior years of high school.

Great stuff to put on at a party - rockers and love songs.

Oh yeah, first saw Rod in 1977 on the Foot Loose tour. Opened with "Three Time Loser" and tore the house down. Last saw him in 2004. Still rocking (hope the dreaded Songbook section is now gone).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-07 16:30 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: March 8, 2007 03:45

Yeah just checking the liner notes on "night". He had the top session musicians of the time playing with him.
Bassgrinning smileyuck Dunn,Lee Sklar

Guitar. Billy Peek,Steve Cropper,Joe Walsh

Among others including the Tower of Power Horns

Date: March 8, 2007 04:31

Hell, I could make a good album with that help!

Date: March 8, 2007 06:16

No shit! But like you said before. The Balltrap: One fun kickass rock & roll song. " She didn't know my name,even when I came. As I recall,she let me walk home in the rain."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-09 04:19 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: Forty Niks ()
Date: March 9, 2007 01:18

just had a cup o' joe with don kirkpatrick, rod's touring guitarist. (former guitarist for animotion) great hair! definitely learned from the best - aka his boss. can't wait to go backstage tomorrow . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-09 01:19 by Forty Niks.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: March 9, 2007 04:44

Hey thanks alot for all your welcomed comments. Looking forward to the show on Saturday..Hope to hear Stay With Me. Never know, his wife is from BC/ so we might get a special show.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home