Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: Wal-Mart
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 2, 2007 17:45

trainarollin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like shopping at Wal-Mart around 2am, that is
> the time when the local strippers do their
> shopping after they got off work. Trust me! You
> wanna see some eye candy go at 2am. If you go the
> other times of the day its like going to a Nascar
> event where each person is sloppier than the next.

ROTFL! Now here is an informed consumer!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 2, 2007 17:47

Last Christmas I wanted to buy a last minute gift for my girls a PlayStation 2 and the "Dance Dance Revolution" game. Everybody was out, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Sears, etc... but WalMart had both items and matched Best Buys sale price. To me it just another outlet for merchandise. I don't usually shop there as a rule but if they have an item at the right price that I need and noone else stocks it, I'll buy it.

That sweatshop thing in China, thats the Chinese governments problem not mine. Most products are imported to the US anyways so I'm sure all retailers have been down this avenue. Only some have yet to be exposed.

Nobody complains about the Chinese buffets in every neighborhood. When is the last time a hostess could speak english? Imported cheap slave labor. But people go there for the all-you-can-eat crab legs, mussels, fish, clams, etc...

By the way, most WalMarts are located in affluent neighborhoods in my area. There is only about 4 or 5 within 50 miles.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: March 2, 2007 17:55

The Sicilian Wrote:

>
> That sweatshop thing in China, thats the Chinese
> governments problem not mine.

no. you are wrong. it is your problem. you may not wish to accept it but it is your problem. don't pass the buck. that person working in the sweatshop is producing something because of your demand. if you did not demand the product the person would not be producing it.

now, if you want to say "i don't care about the person in the sweatshop.." thats different..but don't pass the buck.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: March 2, 2007 18:03

Please take time out to view this.

[www.pbs.org]

[bigboxswindle.com]

[www.larouchepub.com]

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: March 2, 2007 18:06

Or view this:

[mymoratorium.wordpress.com]

Lorenz said:

"I think health is a human right"

No, right to LIFE is a human right.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 2, 2007 18:06

It's funny how nobody cares - greed at work - until the boss calls YOU in the office and says you will no longer be needed because we're moving operations to Banglore.....Then all the "I saved a buck at Wal Mart" babies start crying and end up going into bankruptcy, losing house, job, and family.... I bet almost all the pro Wal Marters on here either have some Government job, maybe taking care of Building 18 at Walter Reed (see Washington Post articles from a few days back) which is typical Government work - getting nothing done, OR, they're in the military living off US tax money. Little safe cushy jobs at no risk of being lost......On top of it all Wal Mart is just full of low quality JUNK, makes a SWAP MEET look like Rodeo Drive (Beverly Hills).....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-02 18:14 by HelterSkelter.

Date: March 2, 2007 18:12

sladog Wrote:
>
> No, right to LIFE is a human right.

So then Bush/Cheney are taking away peoples human rights by sending them to death in Iraq. So they should be on trial in the Hague for crimes against humanity.....Now you're getting it Slagdog, YEAH !!! BTW, your job? Government or Military - which one?

Date: March 2, 2007 18:16

Ya know what, we are fu.cked up in America...look at what the #1 selling beer is...budweiser. LOL

I'll bet walmart sells more budweiser then anyone else. LOL

We can put walmart in the same catagory as the Middle East....we can argue forever and no one will change their mind on how they feel.

I will proudly spend an extra $20 on a item at a Mom and Pop over buying it at walmart.

i.e. TV @ walmart=$400

I'll spend $420-$450 at Mom and Pop for the same TV, I support M&P stores. That's me, that's who I am.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: March 2, 2007 18:19

sladog Wrote:
> Or view this:
>
> [mymoratorium.wordpress.com]-
> wal-mart-people/
>
> Lorenz said:
>
> "I think health is a human right"
>
> No, right to LIFE is a human right.

The enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health is one of the fundamental rights of every human being..." - Preamble to the WHO Constitution
[www.who.int]

"It is my aspiration that health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for; but as a human right to be fought for." - United Nations Secretary General, Kofi Annan (no, not a drink)
[www.who.int]

I didn't want to claim it IS a human right, I wanted to point out that in my opinion it is a human right. Anyway, the thing is also that I see it as a company's responsibility not to pay as low wages as possible, to produce as cheaply as possible but to ensure some minimum standards. You can surely produce very cheaply in China, but you can also decide to pay people a bit more, to allow them to have a life worth living - to a lower extend this is also true for companies in the US/Europe. Sure, Wal-Mart maximises it's profits by cutting costs where possible, but should we hail this as a great and succesful strategy or better recognise the fact that this goes into the wrong direction?

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Date: March 2, 2007 18:23

Good for you Bingo, it's called HAVING INTEGRITY, something these "Bargain Hunters" can't grasp.... BUT, it's gonna grasp them good, right by their balls, when their job gets outsourced to China or India and they can't even afford McDonalds all of a sudden...... Good one about the Pisswater (Bud) !!!

Date: March 2, 2007 18:29

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Good for you Bingo, it's called HAVING INTEGRITY,
> something these "Bargain Hunters" can't grasp....
> BUT, it's gonna grasp them good, right by their
> balls, when their job gets outsourced to China or
> India and they can't even afford McDonalds all of
> a sudden...... Good one about the Pisswater (Bud)
> !!!

The same people who hate the Unions, might be needing them soon? Your right, when the "white collar" jobs get shifted all over the globe, then we'll see people singing a different tune. I believe the Unions are looking to expand into area's where they traditionally are or weren't needed before.

They are being shifted as we speak.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 2, 2007 18:29

Question: Is it better to buy a shirt made by a guy in China, making $1/hour, increasing the demand for that guy's labor, or boycott the product, put the guy out of work and lower the demand for his labor?

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: March 2, 2007 18:35

Bingo Wrote:
> People who work there, love working there???????
> WTF???
>
> Who loves working for minimum wage with no health
> benefits??
>
>
> Walmart pays wages so low, they give you a
> medicare form to fill out so the Gov't will pay
> your health costs.
>
> Walmart is not employee friendly. Do some
> research.

You'll rarely find a workforce that is completely satisfied with any company. But I have seen the same people working at my neighborhood Wal-Mart for over 10 years. Something must be keeping them there. I also have several relatives who work at Wal-Mart and they are very happy with their employer.

Wal-Mart does have lower prices than anybody but the quality of alot of their stuff is lower grade.

My complaint about Wal-Mart is their trend to build up a store in small towns only to move to another nearby town when they want to expand in an area leaving the old store empty and a blight on that community. In my area we have an older vacant Wal-Mart on one side of the highway and then a new and improved Wal-Mart on the other side. The older store is being turned into a 24 hour gym and childrens' pizza parlor. We are fortunate in that the older building is going to be used but many of these buildings remain vacant for years.

Wal-Mart has also been known to undercut the labor costs in foreign Far East and Central American countries to get a cheaper pair of jeans or shirt. Wal-Mart wants to save a nickel on their clothing so a Bangladeshi worker has to live on a few dollars a week. I would gladly pay alot more for those pants knowing that the money was going to that worker in Bangladesh. Instead, we pay cheaper prices and the poor Bangladeshi stays poor. It is an evil cycle but I do not think Wal-Mart is alone in this practice or totally responsible in the process. It's a modern day form of slavery.

Date: March 2, 2007 18:35

....I could careless about China's economic health...it's better to buy a shirt made in the US....What a question..... NEW CONCEPT IN AMERICAN THINKING : Take care of YOUR OWN first - just like everybody else (except the US) does.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-02 18:40 by HelterSkelter.

Date: March 2, 2007 18:37

Question...Would you rather be a free man in your grave, or live as a puppet or a slave?

Date: March 2, 2007 18:38

sladog Wrote:
> "Yes, coming into town and putting all the Ma and
> Pa stores out of work"
>
> Really? How do they do that? Please tell me.
> Wal-Mart does NOTHING of the sort. If the
> customers kept going to Ma and Pa it would be
> Wal-Mart that would go out of business, not Ma and
> Pa. The consumer, making a free choice, is what
> puts Ma and Pa out.
>
> Hey, I will admit that shopping there is not much
> fun sometimes, their service sucks but for
> price...I will gladly put up with it.
>
> Not saying Wal-Mart is perfect either. They have
> been called out on several issues but bottom line
> is that they ARE the perfect example of
> Capitialism.
>
> [mymoratorium.wordpress.com]-
> wal-mart-people/

ditto

Date: March 2, 2007 18:43

Lorenz Wrote:
> sladog Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Also, since when did wages, health insurance
> and
> > the like become a "right"? Hey, you want
> better
> > health insurance, go get it yourself!!
>
> I think health is a human right and closely tied
> to the access you have to medical facilities,
> etc.
>
> Do you seriously believe people choose to work
> for a low wage and no health insurance?
> Next in this line of arguments: It's their own
> fault, they could've gone to a better university
> or they shouldn't belong to a minority...

In the U.S. nobody is denied healthcare. Go to any hospital and see what happens. You will be treated, no doubt. The level and quality of service you receive may vary but either way you will receive service if needed.

The probelm is in the U.S. we have gotten to the point that if a person gets a runny nose they run to the doctor instead of gettin an over-the-counter cold medecine. Plus, we have become such an unhealthy nation that we are slowly killing ourselves and raisu=ing our own healthcare costs.

Get health, stay healthy... and shop at Wal-Mart.

Date: March 2, 2007 18:47

.....so profound.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-02 19:00 by HelterSkelter.

Date: March 2, 2007 18:52

"Get Healthy" - that's right, all those people with Cancer and Car Accidents DECIDED one day that would be fun to try.... double digit IQ? I understand....

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: March 2, 2007 18:58

Unions? Bahahahahahahaa!!! THEY are the reason that American Auto companies are doing so bad. THEY are the reason American public schools suck.

Yeah, I really want to join a union that uses thugs, coercion and intimidation to get what they want. If a company wants a union, fine, get one but they should be not forced.

I wonder...I guess all you anti folks have no problem shopping at Target...that does many of the same things Wal-Mart does, just higher prices.

Helter, I see NO reason to tell you what my job is.

Date: March 2, 2007 19:00

stoned_in_dc Wrote:
> The Sicilian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > That sweatshop thing in China, thats the
> Chinese
> > governments problem not mine.
>
> no. you are wrong. it is your problem. you may not
> wish to accept it but it is your problem. don't
> pass the buck. that person working in the
> sweatshop is producing something because of your
> demand. if you did not demand the product the
> person would not be producing it.
>
> now, if you want to say "i don't care about the
> person in the sweatshop.." thats different..but
> don't pass the buck.

WTF?

By wanting, needing or demanding a certain product we are guilty? That is ridiculous. If an item costs $$$ to make then I guess that is what I'll pay for that item. But if someone is selling that item for $ , then do not blame me for paying $ instead $$$. It is not the consumers fault that these people are making the wages they are making, it is the oversea vendors and Wal-Mart but not the consumer. The consumer and laborers play a balancing act in this whole process but neither one is manipulating the other or at fault.

Like I said in a previous post I would gladly pay more to know that someone is making more money to make an it. But do not blame me or any other consumer for trying to save money.

PS - I find it a little strange when I see my 9 year old niece wearing the tongue logo on a shirt she bought at Wal-Mart. In 50 years time is this going to be the only remnants of the Stones left? Their logo? And Keef, who will never die?

Date: March 2, 2007 19:01

Yep, it's the Unions fault, please take a few Business classes. The picture here is larger then you're grasping.

Date: March 2, 2007 19:03

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> .....so profound.....

Bahhhhh...

I agreed wiuth what he said, like it or not. You are entitled to your own opinion. I just happened to agree with him.

I am far from being a sheep. You might say I was a goat though.

Date: March 2, 2007 19:06

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> "Get Healthy" - that's right, all those people
> with Cancer and Car Accidents DECIDED one day that
> would be fun to try.... double digit IQ? I
> understand....

no it's not their fault
But who is to blame for this? Wal-Mart?

Keep trying... your attempt at insults are amusing.

Date: March 2, 2007 19:06

Helter, I have no reason to tell you what my job is....

Of course not, you already answered, PICK ONE:

GOVERNMENT SLACKER

MILITARY

LIVE AT HOME (room above the garage) OFF MOM AND DAD

One of these three, I'm sure of it.... BUSTED DUDE, hahahahahaha

Date: March 2, 2007 19:13

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Helter, I have no reason to tell you what my job
> is....
>
> Of course not, you already answered, PICK ONE:
>
> GOVERNMENT SLACKER
>
> MILITARY
>
> LIVE AT HOME (room above the garage) OFF MOM AND
> DAD
>
> One of these three, I'm sure of it.... BUSTED
> DUDE, hahahahahaha

I imagined you being the same as listed above. See how wrong a person can be?

Resorting to personal attacks is just another sign of losing the argument so I'll be seeing you later.
Have fun and by all means shop at Wal-Mart!

Hmmm... I believe they still have a 10.99 copy of RARITIES...

Date: March 2, 2007 19:15

OK, I'll be serious for a second. YOU TELL ME how one is suppose to Stay Healthy. The Richest man in the world will die from poor health one day.... It's like saying "make sure it never rains in Hawaii" it's Nature, it's beyond our grasp, it's the way the planet operates. I've been very lucky with my health BUT, I might wake up with cancer tomorrow, I have friends who have - THINGS just happen in life, that's how it works.....

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: March 2, 2007 19:15

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> ....I could careless about China's economic
> health...

apparently your not involved with the stock market...............

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 2, 2007 19:18

Lighten up people! Shopping at Wal-Mart CAN be fun you know!

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: March 2, 2007 19:25

lol

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1898
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home