Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

first solo albums are the best
Posted by: backofmyhand ()
Date: March 1, 2007 14:30

i think the first solo albums of jagger richards taylor wood and wyman are the best
what do you think ?

Re: first solo albums are the best
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 1, 2007 14:35

Havent heard enough of Taylor's so cant judge, but I'd disagree with you on all of the others (although 'Talk is cheap' is pretty good and Ronnie's first one is a worthy contender too, although I prefer 'Main offender' and 'Gimme some neck' personally)

'Wandering Spirit' is by some distance Mick's best solo album. Its a toss-up between Shes The Boss or Primitive Cool for his weakest. With Bill's, its more a case of which is the least bad.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 1, 2007 14:36

Wyman - for sure,
Taylor too.
Keith is wide open to discussion because thety are both great. I happen to prefer the second.
Jagger is IMO not even close in the 80's. His last two are lightyears better than the first two. Although in places the songwriting itself on STB is not bad.
Ron Wood has put out the most solo and not released one single bad album. All 9-10 are top, TOPS!

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: March 1, 2007 14:45

Jagger: Wandering Spirit
Richards: Talk Is Cheap

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 1, 2007 15:44

Jagger - third is best by far
Richards - first and second are equally good
Taylor - first and second are twenty years apart, but are still equally good
Wyman - third is best
Wood - first four are equally good

Despite my fondness for many of these albums, they all highlight the fact that at least the first four individuals did their best work as band members and their solo work showcases as many weaknesses as strengths no matter how good individual tracks may be. Wood is my pick for the only one who really showed promise as a solo artist...through 1981. I didn't include Charlie because although I love his drumming with the Stones (apart from Undercover and Dirty Work), his jazz albums never seem to show his strengths. The most enjoyable one for me was the world beat/techno one with Keltner. The Orchestra, Quintet, or Tentet are competent, but I'd rather hear the originals if I'm in the mood for Charlie Parker or Benny Goodman. Charlie seems less sure of himself as a drummer for his jazz projects...to my ears anyway.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 1, 2007 15:52

Opinions are like assh...surprising that quite many (not many yet but very qualified onessmiling smiley) prefer MAIN OFFENDER to TALK IS CHEAP. It would be interesting to hear the reasons for this. Personally I think TC is better, and I find Keith very focused there; it sounds that he has something to prove, especially for Jagger. MO is repetative, and despite some true gems (like wonderful "Hate When You Leave") I think the quality of the songs is not in the same level - for example I don't find songs like "999", "Wicked As It Seems" or "Eileen" very fresh or inspirational.

Jagger third album WANDERING SPIRIT is his best, even though there are some great moments in SHE'S THE BOSS. Funny, Jagger seems to be in his best when he doesn't try stay trendy or feel himself forced to do hit albums ot try to prove something.

What we learn here? The formula that if Jagger should be laid back and be relaxed, while Keith to be kicked in his ass, we will get good stuff, no?

What goes for Ronnie, maybe it's true that his I'VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO is his best, because since it he doesn't seem add anything to what he already done there. Expect Dylan's great "Seven Days" (the only song in GIMME SOME NECK that seems to be a real, composed song).

Taylor... I don't know. He has done two solo records, right?

Bill Wyman... well I have only hear Monkey Grip so I pass.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-01 15:55 by Doxa.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2439
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home