Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Knowledge
Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: February 28, 2007 12:38

I couldn't resist; I hope the knowledge of the average US citizen is better ;-)
and don't be offended... on European TV it would be the same...

Sjouke

Re: OT: Knowledge
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 28, 2007 13:16

LOL!!
See that woman being asked
-"What's the currency used in United Kingdom"?
-"GASP...What is the United Kingdom?"

But if you find the right people, it could happen everywhere I guess.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-28 13:58 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 28, 2007 13:23

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-28 13:27 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 28, 2007 13:33

Q. Who are the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World?

A. Urrrrrr, hang on I know that one, I'm thinking urrr The Monkees?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 28, 2007 13:42

As a teacher in the USA, I have just one thing to say - pitiful.

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: February 28, 2007 13:44

I can't belive that some people don't know where the BERLIN Wall was, or where KENTUCKY Fried Chicken comes from!.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 28, 2007 13:49

Further thoughts - I don't think it's fair to label all Americans as stupid. Like any group, generalizations are usually wrong. I also don't think we have a monopoly on stupidity in this world.

That said, where did they find these boneheads? winking smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 28, 2007 13:54

All nations have boneheads - there's a story in the UK press this morning about kids who think cows lay eggs and bacon comes from sheep.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 28, 2007 14:04

Where´s the person who called us Scandinavians clowns? Maybe he/she can elaborate a bit. I once met a guy from New York who asked me if we were allowed to shoot if we met a polar bear on the street. No, he was not joking...

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 1, 2007 05:07

... No Child Left Behind?...uh-huh.....Every child AND adult left behind....beyond belief...WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY COUNTRY MA ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-01 09:04 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 1, 2007 08:24

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Further thoughts - I don't think it's fair to
> label all Americans as stupid.

It's not that we Americans are more stupid, it's just that we're so damn PROUD of being stupid.

Date: March 1, 2007 08:57

loog droog Wrote:
> Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Further thoughts - I don't think it's fair to
> > label all Americans as stupid.
>
> It's not that we Americans are more stupid, it's
> just that we're so damn PROUD of being stupid.

At my college I have actually heard people say that they are proud that they didn't do well on exams or papers! Why does this culture value stupidity so much?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 1, 2007 10:02

tony blair IS linda blair's brother...too true. that's not too stoopid when you thinks about it...

hey, along with a bunch of canadian boys, here's a great example of a reasonably intelligent american from the minnesotan heartlands, talking directly to God almighty Himself, watch his eyes...

i'll give ya credit for christina amphlett, ac/dc and Rockman...that's it.
you almost got a point for nicole kidman, but tha weird dress she was wearing at the Oscars would negate that...that bow was as big as her haid...
what exact stage of anorexia is she in by the way?

as a generous american, it is my pleasure to share this with you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-01 12:31 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 1, 2007 17:03

Back in '96, someone from New Mexico wanted to buy tickets to see the Olympics in Atlanta. The ordeal went something like this:

Customer: I would like to order tickets...my address is...New Mexico

Ticket Agent: Sir, you need to call your country's Olympic Committee to order tickets.

C: I live in New Mexico!

T.A.: New Mexico, old Mexico, it does not matter. You need to call your country's Olympic Committee.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 1, 2007 17:19

Granted I could not have correctly answered ALL of the queries but those people were extremely stupid !!

Posted by: bonnie ()
Date: March 1, 2007 17:20

Government education in USA is pitiful. How parents trust their children to these people is beyond my comprehension. Wake up America. Nanny State here we come.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 1, 2007 17:30

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Further thoughts - I don't think it's fair to
> label all Americans as stupid. Like any group,
> generalizations are usually wrong. I also don't
> think we have a monopoly on stupidity in this
> world.
>

As long as the headline news for days in a row is about Britney's new hair style or Anna Nicole Smith's after death experiences, you guys don't seem to put any effort in not to be labeled as stupid grinning smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 1, 2007 18:34

Folks anywhere are stupid if they think that they're defined by where they come from. I think Keith himself nails it when he says "blood is red and bones is white...we're all the same underneath "

Date: March 1, 2007 19:32

Spud Wrote:
> Folks anywhere are stupid if they think that
> they're defined by where they come from.

Spud, one's defined by where they come from in relationship to there knowledge/smarts/ability to think when it pertains to how much their country cares about the education of their citizens.I can tell you right off the bat that all of Europe has very good school systems and I'd have to say that, from personal experience, Europeans are much better educated than the average joe American. I'd put a ton of money on ANY contest to prove my point - have NO DOUBT.....

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 1, 2007 20:55

I love stupid Americans!

I had a girl in my college history class say to the professor, "wow those pyramids were really cool, are they still around today???"

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 1, 2007 21:13

We have bigger country so there is more to learn. Let's not forget that the English Puritans could not wait to settle here.

How's this: I was once at a liquid after work lunch with a company VP years ago and we were playing one of those video trivia games. The multiple choice question was what are love handles? My answer was ears for the obvious reason. This VP practically choked on his Jack and Coke but I didn't see what was so funny. I really though that was the answer. Until he explained that it was the flab on your waist.

Date: March 1, 2007 21:36

I grew up going to American public schools from 1st grade through High School and I can say that I've learned US History in 4th grade (state history), 5th grade (basic US knowledge), 8th grade (the start of the US) and 11th grade (basic US history again). In 6th grade we learned ancient history (Mesopotamia and the like) then 7th grade a little about European history and most of that was related to art, and a little again in 10th grade. We really don't learn much about the rest of the world.
I studied abroad in France fall semester of 2005 and took a history course there on the history of Paris. The professor assumed we all knew basic French history, which I didn't and as a result I was very lost in this class. In college I am a French major so I have learned a bit of French history through these classes, but I really can't tell you much else about the history of the rest of the world except what pertained to WWII.
Most American people who have grown up in public schools really don’t know much about the rest of the world because our education system is very ethnocentric. Yes, our country is big but it really is not that old. There is so much more to learn about besides our own country’s history. Also, most people in the US come, at least partly, from other countries. We need to focus on learning about those countries and their cultures to understand where we come from as a country and as individuals. Instead of focusing on the US for multiple years I think we really need to also learn about the rest of the world so we know why our and other cultures are the way they are.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: March 1, 2007 21:41

Britney and Anna, where's the Scooter Libby trial? That's where our news is at. LOL

Here's a good read.

[www.pbs.org]

Date: March 1, 2007 22:10

Bingo and cal stones fan have hit the nail on the head. We need to recognize the problems to fix them and that's what they've done. Going around defending a system that caters to the lowest common denominator doesn't do anyone any good. We have China building all our stuff, sewing all our clothes and we have India doing more and more of our banking by phone, computer trouble shooting.... We better fix the problems before the only jobs leftin the US are hamburger flippers and meth lab managers.... it ain't too far down the road....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 1, 2007 23:28

Baaaa....Surely Kid Rock or Tommy Lee woulda known....then maybe eeerrr?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: March 2, 2007 00:02

I was walking in Paris' Latin quarter with an adorable american girlfriend of mine, some time back, and eventually she exclaimed: "hah! we've been around here for an hour and a half, and THAT's the first tex-mex I see!" Certified true. Mind you, I liked her no less for it.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 2, 2007 00:10

Sjouke Wrote:
> I couldn't resist; I hope the knowledge of the
> average US citizen is better ;-)
> and don't be offended... on European TV it would
> be the same...
>
> Sjouke
>
>
>

> tp%3A%2F%2Ffunnyvideos%2Eotvali%2Eru%2F16779%2F

that was funny and sad at the same time - but on the other hand,

if they hadn't cut out the right answers, that clip would be boring and useless.

just the usual media bs, imo.

Date: March 2, 2007 00:54

Rockman, do you have the date for that article, that is hysterical.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 2, 2007 01:06

That Pam Anderson article reminds me of an interview with the model Bridget Hall in the 90's. She was dating Leonardo D at the time.

In an Italian restaurant in New York City Bridget announced to the table that she was a vegetarian because "Leonardo explained how the rain forest was being cut down to make more pasture for cows." But when the waiter came she ordered spaghetti with meat sauce.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 2, 2007 01:09

The problem with this kind of interviews is that they only show you the boneheads.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1255
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home