Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
police press conf-dig at stones???
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 24, 2007 22:07

sting said it will just be the three of us, no big light show, no back up singers and no horn section, no help needed, ooooohhhhhhhhh, take that mick,
and the drummer said that setlists are for wimps, lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-24 22:09 by melillo.

Re: police press conf-dig at stones???
Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: February 24, 2007 22:10

I heard their Grammy performance.
Sounded like pre-recordings were used for the chorus.
Funny how Sting can sing "Roxaaaaaaaane" and "Put on the red light" at the same time.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: February 24, 2007 22:11

Wow--sounds like they are feeling their oats--lol

Notwithstanding the anticipated outrage that will, undoubtedly follow in this thread, if you are honest, everything they said is true.

I thought the Grammy performance smoked and I did not detect anything like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-24 22:12 by Glass Slide.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 24, 2007 22:21

melillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sting said it will just be the three of us, no big
> light show, no back up singers and no horn
> section,

Fine, then lower the ticket prices. Don't charge $200 a ticket for a low production show. Damn all the garbage about -"its about the music mannnnn." The stage production of the Stone's shows from 89 on have enhanced the concert experience. I have no problem with the Stones or any other band putting on stripped down show - just make sure they strip down the ticket prices to match.

Date: February 24, 2007 22:24

good points

Date: February 24, 2007 22:26

I for one, am not paying what I paid the last several tours so I can see Blondie, Lisa et al--in fact I go in spite of their presence........

Ticket prices also have a supply and demand componet.

The Stones show from '89 to the present has not gotten that much bigger in terms of supporting players but the ticket prices have increased expotentially--which is kind of difficult to reconcile with your theory.

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: February 24, 2007 22:28

I concur wholeheartedly.
The Stones' shows are shorter too, than in '89/'90.
If playing 2 hours straight is pushing them to their max, then they should do what others their age do - take a 15-20 minute break. Hell, young bands in bars do this every night!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 24, 2007 22:29

I didn't say the Stones were justified in charging those prices. It does make it easier to take if the show is a wow!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 24, 2007 22:31

For a guy born in Newcastle in the North of England, where most people are down to earth, Sting has turned out to be a real creep. Obviously insecure. Yawn.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 24, 2007 22:35

The less backup, more money they make

Date: February 24, 2007 22:36

Shawn20 Wrote:
> I didn't say the Stones were justified in charging
> those prices. It does make it easier to take if
> the show is a wow!

Ok, except I do not believe there is any correlation between the EIGHT (!) support players they have and the tickets prices---that's all.

Date: February 24, 2007 22:45

stonesrule Wrote:
> For a guy born in Newcastle in the North of
> England, where most people are down to earth,
> Sting has turned out to be a real creep.
> Obviously insecure. Yawn.

Perhaps. I don't know him.

Frankly, I prefer that he has or attempts to have a bit of an "edge"--much prefer that to the "easy listening" artist he has been for the better part of two decades.

Besides, I think everything he said was true, maybe he was aiming that at the Stones, maybe he wasn't. Either way, does not make it any less true.

Date: February 24, 2007 22:46

I really think it was a dig at the stones imho, besides to be honest with you
i wouldnt mind seeing the four stones plus darryl go ou there and just kick ass
like i know they can, its a shame that they dont

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-24 22:49 by melillo.

Date: February 24, 2007 22:51

melillo Wrote:
> I really think it was a dig at the stones imho

I agree--it would seem hard to imagine who else he was referring to.

But, he was stating, in admittedly blunt terms, things that people on this board have been saying for the better part of 2 years.

I for one, would have expected the Police to pick a set list and repeat ad infinitum, perhaps that will not be the case--if so, good for them, if not that last statement will prove to be remarkably hypocrticial.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: February 24, 2007 23:10

What else could a band like The Police that self destructed say? They could not hold it together at all. The comment may have some merit but if they want to start analyzing careers......hmmmm where to start?

They had some good songs, but an album like Begger's Banquet alone would swallow their whole career IMO. smiling smiley

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: February 25, 2007 04:33

Stinks' career is in the toilet; this whole tour is obvious; he had to BEG the other two to do it; AND they SUCKED at the Grammys.

I saw them on their first tour for $6 bucks @ CBGB/NYCity and would not pay much more this time.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 25, 2007 04:41

dah doo doo dah da doo doo dee; doo doo; it's doo doo...no dee no dah just doo doo

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 25, 2007 05:05

It was probably a knock at a lot of veteran bands. If they aren't going to put on any kind of big stage show,then why not just play indoor shows instead of stadiums. I still can't believe their is that big of a demand to see The Police. I'm not going to pay a $100 or whatever they are asking. That's why I prefer to see older,maybe less popular acts play small theatres.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 25, 2007 05:17

I can't imagine a more boring concert than the Police reunion. No new songs, and no stage show.
Just three old geeks playing songs that are over 20 years old.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 25, 2007 05:53

Sting did not have to beg Andy and Stewart to tour. They've been waiting for this for the past 10 years.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: February 25, 2007 06:04

Hairball Wrote:
> I can't imagine a more boring concert than the
> Police reunion. No new songs, and no stage show.
>
> Just three old geeks playing songs that are over
> 20 years old.

and the stones??? how old are the songs they play??

i think its nuts for someone who loves the stones to be ageist..whats wrong with being old and playing rockn'roll??

if you feel there's something wrong, buddy, you're into the wrong band (presumably you are into the stones)

seriously, why focus all this negative energy on age??? you aregoing to be old someday too (if you're not already) and are you going to want people to think you suck, at whatever you do, just cause you're old??

i saw johnny cash live in 1995 and he was phenomenal... is he too old to rock???

i saw bob dylan 13 times between 1996-2002..was he too old to rock?

of course not..neither are the stones..and neither are the police..and the 20 year old songs?? they wrote them, people like them and will pay to see them, so why should THEY not play them???

stop threadcrapping!!!!!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-25 06:07 by stoned_in_dc.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 25, 2007 08:19

I won't get on their case for touring at their age since it would be hypocrytical but for them to take a shot at the Stones is laughable. It would be like Pauly Shore taking a shot at Robert Deniro and criticizing his acting methods. What have the Police done since the eightees? Zilch.

And I wish people would stop this revisionist history and stop referring to The Police as a supergroup as the grammys tried to bill them.

supergroup= Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, Who, Maybe U2.

not supergroup= The Police

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 25, 2007 11:19

Sting has always been a pussy. The Police were never a great band either, and I'm not just saying that because he may, or may not, have slagged The Stones. I like Puff Daddy's version of I'll Be Missing You (Or whatever it's called) much better than the original.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: kennydice58 ()
Date: February 25, 2007 11:41

i call sting the chocolate man : he loves himself so much he would eat himself
kenny

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 25, 2007 11:46

kennydice58 Wrote:
> i call sting the chocolate man : he loves himself
> so much he would eat himself
> kenny

....Ain't he gay? Would give that name another perspective too..... grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 25, 2007 12:12

Sting reminds me of Bono........enough said.

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: February 25, 2007 15:42

I don't really care about what sting thinks but I have seen the Police in clubs and arenas and the more crowded the stage got the worse they sounded. They are a much better band when stripped down to guitar, bass and drums. The horns and keyboards didn't suit Stewart or Andy's musical style.

I am still f'in amazed that these guys are selling out stadiums on this tour. But then again, when tickets for the Police at Madison Square Garden went on sale in 1980 the buzz on the line was "who do these guys think they are". Zenyatta Mendatta was barely in the stores but they knew it would be a smash. That was a breakthru album and tour. But this time around - no album and too much sting. Yecccchhh.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 25, 2007 15:46

EVERYBODY COOL OUT! PEOPLE... THIS COULD BE SO BEAUTIFUL! WHO'S FIGHTING AND WHAT FOR???? COME ON! AWWW BABIES...

I hope Zeppelin gets back together - just Page, Plant, Jones, a drummer - and they make a cocky remark about how they don't want/need backing musicians, if only so I can sit back and watch people on a Stones message board get their knickers in a twist and act like a bunch of 13 year olds over a perceived diss that may or may not have been aimed at their boys.

There's really no reason to be so thin-skinned. Christ, it's not like the Police were up there making brain surgery or cancer or rehab jokes! If remarks like those ARE being aimed at the Stones (and who am I kidding - I'm sure they are... last I checked The Who didn't have almost a dozen people up there with them), look at it this way: the reason the Stones are still having arrows slung at them is because they're still the #1 touring band in the world, they still set the pace, and it's lonely at the top. When people stop making references to them, good or bad, it will be a hint that their current activities may no longer matter. The Stones have had sh*t slung at them for 43 years and I think they've done alright despite it. Let the record show that they've had innumerable bitchy moments of their own, too. It's rock n' roll, not high society.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 25, 2007 18:59

Sting's remarks were in reference to the last Police tour in support of Synchronicity where they went out with back up singers (a bone of contention within the band) as much as it was at what the concert world has become. Like The Who's performance at the Concert for New York City in 2001 or the Stones at the 2005 press conference, I respect any band who goes out with minimal or no supporting players.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 25, 2007 19:30

stoned_in_dc Wrote:
>>
> and the stones??? how old are the songs they
> play??
>
> i think its nuts for someone who loves the stones
> to be ageist..whats wrong with being old and
> playing rockn'roll??
>
> if you feel there's something wrong, buddy, you're
> into the wrong band (presumably you are into the
> stones)
>
>

Well...you've misunderstood my point a bit, I didn't mean to say the Police suck because of their age.
"Old geeks" was a poor phrase on my part.

The Stones are the pioneers at being an old rock and roll band, and whenever they tour, at least they have some new tunes, regardless of how inferior they are. The Stones are still relevant and push things to the limit while the Police are touring without any new tunes, and without a stage show. It will be ridiculous in my opinion, they're living solely off of their past accomplishments. It would make it more worthwhile if there were at least a few new tunes and a giant stage show with all the bells and whistles. I can't imagine the Stones touring without a stage show and/or without new tunes. It would be nice to have a phased down tour, but if there were no new tunes, and they only played stuff that was over 20 years old nightly, they'd be criticized as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-25 19:45 by Hairball.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1461
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home