Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dylan's Version of "Brown Sugar"
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 23, 2007 00:38

I have to laugh when I listen to this. A 2002 live version was posted on "Hot Stuff" awhile back, and while the band is a-rockin', Bob's cavalier attitude towards the lyrics is comical. Since the Stones covered "Like A Rolling Stone" in 1995, I suppose this is Bob's way of saying "Uh,OK...,thanks. Yeah, I could write something like 'Brown Sugar' in my sleep, if I WANTED to." Did I mention that his band knew the arrangement, and nailed it? LOL!!!

Re: Dylan's Version of "Brown Sugar"
Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: February 23, 2007 01:02

I saw Dylan perform this three times in one week, at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles . . . and a few weeks later, our boys played there and played Brown Sugar themselves. Quite a memorable time, the fall of 2002.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: February 23, 2007 01:05

Yes, Saw Dyaln in Sacramento and Berkeley same week, with brown sugar

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 23, 2007 01:06

Well... have you ever heard Dylan's version of "Hava Negilah"?

And I'm not kidding. With his son -m law, singer Peter Himmelman, on what looks to be some kind of fundraising event. Pretty awful stuff, be forewarned!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 23, 2007 01:12

bp617: I think that is a fair comment about those BS performances. The guitars rocked and Bob sang the words like "Who cares?" That Fall '02 tour was interesting. Bob put down the guitar (thank god!) and got out of the way of his players, Larry Campbell and Charlie Sexton, who can really drive a song make it swing. The numerous cover songs were fun too. Red Bluff is one of my favorite Bob recordings. Luv that show and recording.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: February 23, 2007 01:18

bassplayer617 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

... I suppose this is Bob's way of saying
> "Uh,OK...,thanks. Yeah, I could write something
> like 'Brown Sugar' in my sleep, if I WANTED to."

I'm pretty sure Bob, when the Stones had just released Satisfaction, actually said he could have written that song as easy as anything, but no way would the Stones be able to write a song like Like a Rolling Stone

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 23, 2007 01:20

for me it's a classic performance, and sure it's funny; laugh out loud funny; but it's also breathlessly rocking; whoa those guitars are incredibaalll...
but also dylan's voke, haha including waiting like till half the first verse was over before he makes up some lyrics to sing that were sorta brown sugarish...
hawwwww...i loved this; classic dylan; his phrasing and tone are perfect...i take it as a total tribute from a master songwriter; bottom line; it rocks it's evving head off...seriously. the best stones cover i've ever heard by anyone ever...number 2 would be far behind...he captures the essence of rock and roll; it's a tribute and a supersonic rocket ship into the casual mercurial heights of a master magician; and incredible vocalist. singing the shit out of an incredible song...this really bowls over most actual stones versions these last zillion years... imvvho

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 23, 2007 01:24

Beelyboy Wrote:
>> but also dylan's voke, haha including waiting like till half the first verse was over before he makes up some lyrics to sing that were sorta brown sugarish.........he captures the essence of rock and roll; it's a tribute and a supersonic rocket ship into the casual mercurialheights of a master magician; and incredible vocalist. singing the shit out of an incredible song...<<

Terrific description, Beelyboy, "sing some lyrics that were sorta brown sugarish", LOL, and it's true!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 23, 2007 01:55

i loved bob's off-handed vocal delivery on this! what would expect from bob - a jaggeresque vocal? it fit the song perfectly I thought. he even was a up for a few yeah-yeah-yeah-wooo's too....it was killer! it was so fun to look around and see the looks of suprise on folks' faces - that was something NOBODY was expecting (aside from those who follow these setlists religiously, of course).

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: February 23, 2007 02:17

hate to agree with StonesTod but i saw dylan do this fall 2002 in fairfax and it was smokin... really enjoyed it..

took me a while to realize what it was... i was like "huh?"

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 23, 2007 02:20

stoned_in_dc Wrote:
> hate to agree with StonesTod but i saw dylan do
> this fall 2002 in fairfax and it was smokin...
> really enjoyed it..
>
> took me a while to realize what it was... i was
> like "huh?"

the fairfax recording is probably the best of the fall tour as well....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home