Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
the WHO?????
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: February 16, 2007 21:04

well, i like one album of them, called Whos next. Brilliant. They did "Tommy"often mentioned as the first Rock opera. NOO!--the kinks did that with "Arthur"....Quad was ok, but they never reached the level of the rolling stones, even when their cover of "the last time wasnt bad.

Re: the WHO?????
Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: February 16, 2007 22:27

They never reached the level of Led Zeppelin, either.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: February 16, 2007 23:24

sf sorrow " the pretty things...

Date: February 17, 2007 17:37

JaggerFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They never reached the level of Led Zeppelin,
> either.

Check your hearing aid kemo sabe. Zep can t hold a guitar pick next to The Who.

Date: February 17, 2007 17:40

Havo, you picked one of the greatest albums of all time to single out. Wat to go buddy. Freak Out by Zappa in 1966 beat out Ray and the boys. Quad is better then Tommy and the rest of the albums, except with Jones, are all steller. Your batting .1000%.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: February 17, 2007 19:08

I Wish I Never Met You Wrote:
>
> Check your hearing aid kemo sabe. Zep can t hold
> a guitar pick next to The Who.

As a long-time fan of both Zeppelin and the Who, I'd certainly dispute that. Both are great bands, but if I had to choose one, I'd go for the former....and I only saw Zep a couple of times, as opposed to the 5 or 6 times I've seen the Who, although admittedly I never saw them with Moon, so I can imagine them playing a lot better in their peak.

Lee

Posted by: musicsmyteefine ()
Date: February 17, 2007 19:12

Like comparing apples and oranges....both great bands who offer totally different vibes. Gonna see the Who again in AC at a real small theatre in 3 weeks - can't wait! Wish Zep were still around to see.....

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 17, 2007 19:25

On a good night 1969 to about 1976 The Who were untouchable,although I didn't see them until '82, the recordings kind of bear this out.

They are playing up the road from my home in May........while I'm in Spain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOH !

SC UK

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 17, 2007 20:02

Havo Wrote:
> well, i like one album of them, called Whos next.
> Brilliant. They did "Tommy"often mentioned as the
> first Rock opera. NOO!--the kinks did that with
> "Arthur"....Quad was ok, but they never reached
> the level of the rolling stones, even when their
> cover of "the last time wasnt bad.

Well you're missing out.

My Generation is an absolutely cracking debut. Better, in my opinion, than The Beatles and Stones's debuts (yes, I know, put me on a pyre and set me on fire - I refuse to burn). But their best sixties album isn't Tommy, it's "The Who Sell Out" - a very very funny concept album about pirate radio and an almost entirely successful satire on consumerism, advertising and self-image.

Who's Next is indeed a great, highly innovative, even visionary album, but imagine if Townshend had realised the concept ...

You're wrong about Quadrophenia. It's a masterpiece. It was also a watershed album, in that Townshend started writing more inward, directly personal songs after that.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 17, 2007 21:34

Damn right Quadrophenia is a masterpiece. I also think Who By Numbers - the one that followed it - is an unfairly overlooked gem.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: February 17, 2007 22:48

I did see them with MOON ,most dissapointing gig I ever attended Steve Gibbons band were support and they as least could vary their set, the Who's set was just one long noise if you didn't know the lyrics of the songs you couldn't tell what on earth they were playing from one song to another,awfull

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: February 17, 2007 23:10

One of the best live bands ever, if not the best. Saw em in 75 and again a couple of months ago and I'd say Endless Wire is a better overall album than ABB.

Jim

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: Bomber ()
Date: February 17, 2007 23:24

The Who are the equal of the Stones and the Beatles....led Zep? lol they stole most of their songs

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 18, 2007 03:23

Gazza Wrote:
> Damn right Quadrophenia is a masterpiece. I also
> think Who By Numbers - the one that followed it -
> is an unfairly overlooked gem.

Spot on about Who By Numbers, Gazza. It's an understated, yet very powerful album, with some genuinely moving songs on it.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 18, 2007 11:50

The first record you buy is always something special. So I went and I had the choice: It turned out to be Who By Numbers and the second was a Rolling Stones one (IORR). Is that reason enough to exclude me from this board?

Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: February 21, 2007 05:31

Quadrophenia got me through all my angst-ridden adolescence......still one of my fave albums of all time. And when I was younger the Who were constantly switching places in my heart with the Stones....saw 'em in 75 with Moon and then again in 80 and 82...thought that'd be the last time I saw them but....

I see they are playing a mere a 2 hour drive from my house!!! Don't have tickets yet, cos I keep trying to talk myself out of the expense.....no fellow Who-freaks around to go with (although my husband did submit to going along just to keep me company).....and all the time these Who songs keep creeping onto my iPod and thru the radio......

Guess I'll go order a pair now......

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 21, 2007 14:55

Still tickets for all sectors available!!???
I wonder if the stones would sell out a venue like that within hours at those prices. I'd say yes. Not at those high prices (eg.100-200 eur). Then it would take them a few weeks I guess.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 21, 2007 15:20

Endless Wire is a huge achievement at this stage in the Who's career. Listen to it many times.

A true gem is the My Generation special edition CD set. Some fab rarities and fantastic playing....

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 21, 2007 15:32

Entwistles Bass on My Generation must be among the most heavy from the 60ies...together with Ringos drumming on Rain of course..and Dylans harmonica on Desolation..and Keiths intro on Jumping...

2 1 2 0

Date: February 21, 2007 15:33

Bomber Wrote:
> The Who are the equal of the Stones and the
> Beatles....led Zep? lol they stole most of their
> songs

The Who are equal to neither the Beatles nor the Stones. As a musician, I must shake my head at what "Wish I Never Met You" said about Who vs Zep.

Whether you compare Who vs Zep on a per-member skill level, band unity, complexity of live arrangements, innovative creativity, and even album sales, Led Zeppelin is definately one-up over the Who. Yes, the Who was obviously first, but I don't think the two groups is as "apples & oranges" as The Bealtes and the Stones.

Pete is NO Jimmy.
Roger is NO Robert.
Ox was NO JPJ.
and Moon was NO Bonham.

Even Townsend knows this - which explains his eternal bitter jealously.

Date: February 21, 2007 15:36

JPJ was certainly NO Ox...

2 1 2 0

Date: February 21, 2007 15:42

JPJ is one of the most UNDERrated musicians in rock history.
Listen to any live Dazed and Confuzed.

Okay, okay, the OX is a close second imo. LOL!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 21, 2007 15:44

Pete is NO Jimmy.
Roger is NO Robert.
Ox was NO JPJ.
and Moon was NO Bonham. Thank fluck 4 that!!!

"complexity of live arrangements"???? Its Rock and Roll aint it? For shear power and excitment ya can't beat the Oo!

And I can imagine PT don't gives a fluck either.....

Date: February 21, 2007 15:54

> "complexity of live arrangements"???? Its Rock and
> Roll aint it? For shear power and excitment ya
> can't beat the Oo!

With BOTH bands, it's always been more than 'only rock'n'roll.
But if you want to stick with 3 chord 4/4 numbers for eternity, go right ahead.

> And I can imagine PT don't gives a fluck
> either.....

Mmmm.... he does take the opportunity to bad-mouth the group (who had the decency to break up after an irreplaceable member of the band died) any chance he gets.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 21, 2007 15:55

Having seen both The Who and Led Zep in their 70s prime, I'd have to say that live, The Who have it by some margin.
Zep live were often a bit of a mess with flashes of brilliance. The Who were always vital, angry, up for it... and they delivered every time. [except for when Mr Moon got sulky and disappeared for ten minutes or so in the middle of a set ;^) ]

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 21, 2007 16:06

The Who were great, no doubt.
I remember the Isle of Wight video, it is tremendous, but now, there's only 2 of 'em left, Roger has kinda lost his voice compared to those early years, and with all the respect I have for them, I won't go to see their concert in June.

Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: February 21, 2007 16:14

Harm Wrote:
> Still tickets for all sectors available!!???
>

Floor seats are still available in Little Rock! My husband seems to think we should wait and buy them that night...I'm a nervous wreck.

Saw the Stones there last March. Ticket sales online were moving fast then.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: February 21, 2007 16:35

Going to Bercy next June. Heve seen them only once in '82 and was very, very moved by the video of their performance for the 9/11 gig.

New album not bad, so I'm expecting avery good concert, I'm very exited. Won't follow 'em around though.

Date: February 21, 2007 16:38

When Zep played in Stockholm -68 they had Peter Green to play Violin...
that must have been a concert...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 21, 2007 16:38

leteyer Wrote:
New album not bad, so I'm expecting avery good
> concert, I'm very exited. Won't follow 'em around
> though.

I'm not a fan but I thought I should see them at least once in my life. Have to buy one or two cd's to get to know them better? Suggestions?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1161
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home