Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bercy, Bercy! (have bercy on me!) (aka Why won't the Stones play Bercy in Paris?)
Posted by: Forty Niks ()
Date: February 14, 2007 07:04

So if the Stones are, in fact, going go to the indoor route in London (the rumoured date is at the 02 arena), why are we Paris-bound Stones-heads relegated - yet again - to an outdoor football stadium?

Paris has an excellent indoor arena - the Bercy. (I think the Stones played there as part of the Licks tour) Is demand really that weak in the UK, and that high in France, for Stones tix? Why not play indoors? Anybody got the scoop?

To quote my favourite band, have Bercy, have Bercy on me . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-14 09:05 by Forty Niks.

Re: Bercy, Bercy! (have bercy on me!)
Posted by: novica ()
Date: February 14, 2007 09:06

Forty Niks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Paris has an excellent indoor arena - the Bercy.
> (I think the Stones played there as part of the
> Licks tour)
yes , they played 07.07.2003, and it was excellent show !

Posted by: Forty Niks ()
Date: February 14, 2007 09:09

novica Wrote:
> Forty Niks Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Paris has an excellent indoor arena - the
> Bercy.
> > (I think the Stones played there as part of the
> > Licks tour)
> ...
> yes , they played 07.07.2003, and it was excellent
> show !

well i want another this summer! not the damn Stade again!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 14, 2007 09:12

novica Wrote:
> Forty Niks Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Paris has an excellent indoor arena - the
> Bercy.
> > (I think the Stones played there as part of the
> > Licks tour)
> ...
> yes , they played 07.07.2003, and it was excellent
> show !

i thought it was fabulous too - but recently heard complaints about it on this board...

Posted by: novica ()
Date: February 14, 2007 09:21

little queenie Wrote:

> .....
> i thought it was fabulous too - but recently heard
> complaints about it on this board...

i remember like it was yesterday,hot monday afternoon in Paris,
opening act Stereophonics, then the STONES !!!!!
crowd was wild !
ah,sweet memories !

Re: Bercy, Bercy! (have bercy on me!) (aka Why won't the Stones play Bercy in Paris?)
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 14, 2007 09:53

What is the capacity of the Bercy? What does Bercy mean?

Re: Bercy, Bercy! (have bercy on me!) (aka Why won't the Stones play Bercy in Paris?)
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 14, 2007 10:03

DGA35 Wrote:
> What is the capacity of the Bercy? What does Bercy mean?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 14, 2007 13:45

I must admit that I preferred the Bercy gig in 2003 to the Stade concert last year. I suppose that I just prefer smaller indoor gigs to the stadium shows, both in terms of perceived intimacy and setlists. I plan to catch them this summer, but I won't be going to a succession of stadium gigs (well, two or three perhaps) It depends on where they're playing and my own holiday plans; not fair on my partner to miss out on a holiday while waiting for tour dates so I'm looking forward to 2 weeks in the Hebrides in June and fitting my Stones gigs roung that. Would love to see them in Bercy again!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 14, 2007 13:55

Forty Niks Wrote:
> So if the Stones are, in fact, going go to the
> indoor route in London (the rumoured date is at
> the 02 arena), why are we Paris-bound Stones-heads
> relegated - yet again - to an outdoor football
> stadium?
>
> Paris has an excellent indoor arena - the Bercy.
> (I think the Stones played there as part of the
> Licks tour) Is demand really that weak in the UK,
> and that high in France, for Stones tix?

well, 5 out of 5 UK stadium shows went ahead on schedule last year, and of the 3 French shows scheduled, only Nice went ahead as planned with one Paris date being rescheduled and the other postponed. Simple fact is we dont know how many UK shows they'll play this year. Theres no confirmation they'll even play the indoor arena one, nor that it'll be the only show and just today there's speculation of a festival date. However, its fair enough that after last year, other countries have higher priority than the UK for Stones shows, as its not a full length tour.

Why not
> play indoors? Anybody got the scoop?

Simple answer. You can get 80,000 plus into the SDF and even if they only pull in a fraction of that, its still a lot more dough than playing a 17,000 capacity indoor venue

Good venue, too. Saw Dylan there on my honeymoon in '87.

Date: February 14, 2007 13:56

DGA35 Wrote:
> What is the capacity of the Bercy? What does
> Bercy mean?

Bercy is just the name of the district. The venue's proper name is the Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 14, 2007 15:43

If they don't do more than the odd UK date this summer, I'll take that as a sign they don't intend to pack up quite yet and fully expect to tour again.

I've recently started to think that maybe the realisation that they can't carry on forever in the same vein his simply made them think "...we'll cram in as much as we can whilst we ARE still able."

Date: February 14, 2007 16:04

I think your last point may well be right. I dont think they'll wait a couple of years between touring again and then do a big mega tour. I think it'll be one of the following options

1) tour this summer and then dont do any more

2) do shorter bursts of touring in the future but with no major gaps (2 years or more) between one tour and the next (similar to Dylan's Never Ending Tour but with a much less intensive itinerary - maybe 30-50 shows a year, but doing it EVERY year. Health permitting)

I think two of the things they may have realised over the last two world tours is that they dont need to make a studio album in order to justify a tour (eg Licks) and when they DO go on tour they dont really need to promote a new record in their live act (eg Bigger Bang)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-14 16:05 by Gazza.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 14, 2007 18:42

Gazza,
I think you've just nailed the perfect scenario for all concerned ;^)

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 14, 2007 20:18

Paris Bercy 07/2003 was indeed great. But 07/2003 and 07/2006 Stade de France were outstanding . Midnight Rambler version last summer was irresistible. Let 80,000 or more pepole share those enlightened momemts as compared to a mere 17,000. Stones are borne for Stadiums. Let the most people drink Cherry Red. I am sure this is more challenging for The Band itself, though playing in front of a 1,000 audience is also demanding.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 14, 2007 20:41

Because they can ask for 200-300 euro per ticket at the O2 in London but only 100 or so Euro at Bercy... The UK market is more mature. More willing to pay the cost of an arena show. Just like MSG NYC. Just like MGM LV. Just like Atlantic City. It's all about money.

Bjornulf

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: February 14, 2007 22:33

...so they could play in Olympiahalle in Munich.
I mean, there is more than enough money in the southern part of Germany.
Anyway, I don't believe in indoorshows for summer 2007.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 16, 2007 17:00

the sound sucks in Bercy
the Zenith is small (5000 thousands) but the sound is much better

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home