Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Old habits die hard
Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 2, 2007 16:01

Is it only me who think this is a really good one? Great singing anyway.

Re: Old habits die hard
Posted by: Oveinvain ()
Date: February 2, 2007 16:10

It's an incredible great one! It should have been on ABB, that's my opinion.

[www.stonesvikings.com]

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: February 2, 2007 16:10

Imagine this song life on stage during the ABB-tour. It would, on stage, have been the equivalent of Streets of Love, but on the album, it would have added some great extra quality. Both are ballads, Mick has proven that he can sing both songs in a great way, regarded his SOL-live performance, but Old Habits as a song is so much better than the empty lyrics and symbolism of Streets of Love.

Jelle

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: February 2, 2007 16:14

Oveinvain: same thought, same time, same place ;-)

Imagine what a little Keefrif would do to this song...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-02 16:15 by sluissie.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 2, 2007 16:43

Me also like this one,
it should have replaced StreetsOfLurv

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: February 2, 2007 16:46

Always liked this one

Date: February 2, 2007 16:46

Excellent tune - mature lyrics and simply great vocals on both versions. I love his lines "I'm as proud as a Lion in his Lair"

It's too bad that Jaggers's solos get little or no recognition when in fact, for the last 12 + years, he seems to have saved up his best for his solo efforts. Just seems more energized and focused.

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: February 2, 2007 16:53

I agree that the lyrics are brilliant on this one. You don't get all that many references to speeches given by US generals to joint sessions of Congress in 1951 anymore ("old soldiers never die; they just fade away" - Gen. Douglas MacArthur). Another example of Mick's surprising erudition.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-02 16:58 by Raoul Duke.

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: February 2, 2007 16:57

Oh, by the way: I don't really think it would have worked better as a Stones song.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 2, 2007 17:12

Would have been nice though with some sweet Keith licks on it. Unfortunately I think the Stones has some agreement which makes it impossible. Perhaps a little prestige too...

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: February 2, 2007 17:36

a classic

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 2, 2007 17:46

For ABB it was probably either ths one (Old Habits) or Biggest Mistake. They are very similar. I'd choose BM over OHDH though. Both are not so good either way.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: February 2, 2007 18:38

I like "Old Habits", too.
Nice melody, Mick sings it wholeheartedly.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: February 2, 2007 20:26

A great song.I am sad that it's not a Stones' tune because I would love to hear it live.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 2, 2007 20:29

Its very very good..should be done by the gang!

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: February 2, 2007 20:34

Good song. The movie was pure crap though.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 2, 2007 21:59

I also think its one of Mick's best solo moments and would have much preferred it in place of Streets of Love. Of course Don't Stop and Under the Radar would have been welcome additions to A Bigger Bang as well...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 2, 2007 22:29

I really like OHDH. I think It would have worked better as a stones song, simply because theyre a better band.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 2, 2007 23:56

Good song. Cant understand a) why they left the duet with Sheryl Crow off the European version of the album and b) why they didnt pick it as a single.

Sheryl's singles tend to chart, and it would have probably been a hit.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 3, 2007 00:02

Just a guess here...Virgin may have felt another country-influenced acoustic duet with Sheryl might have seemed like Mick was riding Kid Rock's coattails if it had been released as a single so soon after "Picture" or whatever it was called. Damn fine song and the best thing to come from the Jagger-Stewart partnership.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 3, 2007 00:04

OHDH is indeed the most likely single from Alfie, but in its duet version, which was reason enough for me to buy a US pressing. My choice for 2nd single would have been the instrumental New York Shuffle.

And I agree that OHDH is a better song than Streets Of Love, because it doesn't have that "awful" line repeated over and over.
Biggest Mistake, on the other hand, may well be the most personal song lyric on ABB, and it rightfully belongs on that album.

I'd say the Alfie soundtrack is highly recommended, even though it doesn't have all Jagger content for the whole of the full-length.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1682
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home