Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Dylan and Golf
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: February 2, 2007 12:17

In Golf World a monthly magazine here in the USA - Dylan and his brother have purcahsed Aultmore House for 4.3 million under the family name of Zimmerman in
Scotland,the home of Golf.Dylan has acccepted two honorary degrees in his life ,one from Princeton in 1970 and the other from the University of ST Andrews in 2004. And when he wrote the lyric - "because something is happening here but you don't know what it is. Do you, Mister Jones" who amoung us doubts that he was referrng to Bobby Jones. If Dylan in fact has a golf jones there is the nearby Abernethy GC a none hole track built in 1893 or he can jump on A-9 and head north to Royal Dornoch built in 1877.

Re: OT Dylan and Golf
Posted by: yap yap ()
Date: February 2, 2007 13:35

Dylan only uses "Taylor" made golf clubs with lots of vibrato.So much better than the Woods now................LOL

Pleased to meet you......

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: February 2, 2007 14:15

Hey Yap

Forget the birdie or eagle-what about the turkey (drumstick)!!

Posted by: yap yap ()
Date: February 2, 2007 14:34

Drumsticks are still great for the vibrato.The woods are sub-par.I hear dylan uses a special mick tee.Do the balls have tongues on them?I hear they're great for rolling.Stones on the green are bad,though.

Is this one going to go on forever,too?......lol

Pleased to meet you......

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: February 2, 2007 14:41

I think golf courses are 'Taylor' made for overweight men to lose weight although some have got a 'fareway' still to go!

I think I hear the MT god squad coming!

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: February 2, 2007 23:41

Did Dylan play The Old Course in 2004? I recently heard he's played Pine Valley in New Jersey and that's certainly no course for beginners. I didn't even know he played.

On a related note, I'm very interested to find photos of the STONES playing golf. I've got three, one with Mick seated on the green and and the group in the backgrond, another with Keith putting, doing a Tiger fist-pump, and one of Stu pulling a cart. The one I'm really after though is a group shot with Brian in the foreground putting. I snipped it out of mag once but it's missing...

OpenG: I'd give me' left nad to play across the Dornoch links. That's the real thing.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 2, 2007 23:53

Lil' Brian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did Dylan play The Old Course in 2004?

No..but he did play the best show I've ever seen him do later that same night at Glasgow's Barrowland Ballroom

I've played the Old Course, however. It was great fun.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 2, 2007 23:59

I would be interested in hearing bootlegs of Bob playing golf just so I can hear him say "Fore" and "Nine Iron please"

Date: February 3, 2007 00:20

Gazza Wrote:
I've played the Old Course, however. It was great fun.

I'll always keep that dream alive, Gazza. To one day play at the home of golf, The Royal and Ancient, the Links of St. Andrews. You're a lucky lad indeed. I'm shaking just thinking about playing off the 1st. What a day that'll be!

Date: February 3, 2007 00:42

The 1st is actually a very gentle beginning. It must be the widest fairway in the universe. The Road Hole, though, is quite something.

Its not actually that hard a course - although there was no wind that day, which helped. I played the 'New Course' the following day and it was much trickier.

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: February 3, 2007 00:59

Oh I thought that this was a thread on Bob Dylan´s brand new car - A VW Golf!*LOL*

Big T

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 3, 2007 01:06

Not the one your after Lil Brian
but another from slightly different angle for thee collection........

ROCKMAN

Date: February 3, 2007 01:53

quite evidently theyre just having a go on a putting green (or posing!) instead of actually PLAYING the game.

Date: February 3, 2007 02:07

Gazza Wrote:
> The 1st is actually a very gentle beginning. It must be the widest fairway in the universe.

So true, but the way I'll be shakin' in my boots it's probably not wide enough. Do you recall Baker-Finch in '95 (I think) driving OB off #1 tee? I read it ran all the way across #18 and into the street and shops nearby. That'll probably be me. :-)

Date: February 3, 2007 02:12

Gazza Wrote:
The Road Hole, though, is quite something.

I'd like have my ashes scattered into the Road Bunker.

Date: February 3, 2007 02:18

Rockman Wrote:
> Not the one your after Lil Brian
> but another from slightly different angle for thee
> collection........
>
> [i9.photobucket.com]
> IMMERBOY%202/GLIMMERBOY%203/GLIMMERBOY4/GOLFY2.jpg

Thanks Rockman. That's a nice new angle. Can you confirm those were taken at Gleneagles, the King's Course?

Man, I wish I could find that group shot with Brian. I think it might have been in Der Spiegel during the '82 tour.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 3, 2007 02:21

bill would make the best golfer because he's always sinking that putter.

in rocky's shot he looks like he's rubbing the head of the club against the head of the club

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-03 02:23 by Beelyboy.

Date: February 3, 2007 02:31

Scotland Lil Brian but sorry man me dont know the course....

Know ya keen on the green so here's a couple more From Bill's Rolling Book..

ROCKMAN

Date: February 3, 2007 02:46

Scotland, great! Thanks very much.

Date: February 10, 2007 01:48

From the latest issue of Golf World magazine: :-)

Bob Dylan is a golfer?
That Bob Dylan might be a golfer puts his lyrics in a different light

By Ron Sirak
Golf World
February 2, 2007

Now we know why Bob Dylan, the man who so eloquently articulated the anger and anxiety of the ’60s generation, was able to write such painfully insightful lyrics: He’s a golfer. Who else would understand the grand aspirations and pitiful sufferings of the human soul better than one who has tested his mettle on a golf course? We may never know how many roads a man must walk down before you call him a man—but at least now we know he is wearing soft spikes.

While I will not totally buy into the Dylan-as-golfer scenario until I have visual proof, the latest indication that he may play came when it was revealed recently he purchased the Aultmore House estate in the Scottish highlands between Inverness and Aberdeen. The 10-bedroom manor is in the village of Nethy Bridge, not far from Boat of Garten, snuggled nicely on the River Spey. And yes, there is a nine-hole golf course nearby.

Just the phrase “Dylan the Golfer” sounds like a Highlands character, doesn’t it? Like Morgan the Goat, who was actually Welsh, as was Dylan Thomas, from whom Robert Allen Zimmerman borrowed his name. But the rumors of Dylan on the links are sort of like sightings of the Loch Ness monster: They exist but have yet to be proven. In fact, when Golf Digest placed Dylan No. 63 on its list of top 100 musician golfers, saying he was a 17-handicap, the magazine included an asterisk and a note imploring, “If you’ve seen him play lately, call us.”

The 65-year-old Dylan lives near Malibu, but USGA records show no one with that name has a handicap in the state of California. However, there is a Robert Zimmerman who is a 17.1 and a Bob Zimmerman who sports a 22.8. But I’m guessing that even if Zimmy does play, he’s not posting scores. (Doesn’t seem like the member-guest type to me.) Still, flimsier arguments built on less-compelling circumstantial evidence have swayed the minds of juries. Let’s see what we have here.

Dylan and his brother, David, have purchased Aultmore House for $4.3 million under the family name of Zimmerman in Scotland, the home of golf. The reclusive Dylan has accepted only two honorary degrees in his life, one from Princeton in 1970 and the other—what do you know?—from the University of St. Andrews in 2004. And when he wrote the lyric, “Because something is happening here but you don’t know what it is. Do you, Mister Jones?” who among us doubts that he was referring to Wee Bobby?

If Dylan does in fact have a golf jones, there is the nearby Abernethy GC, a nine-hole track built in 1893, a few years before Dylan’s new manor was constructed. It measures 2,534 yards and plays to a par of 33 from the back tees. And if Dylan is tapped out from the expense of his purchase, the good news is a full membership costs about $200 a year with no initiation fee—actually, he qualifies for the $160 senior rate—after being approved by the committee, of course.

Should Dylan get turned down at Abernethy, or if he wants a little bit more of a challenge, he can just jump on the A-9 and head a little farther north to Royal Dornoch, the Old Tom Morris design built in 1877 that boasts among its past greenkeepers a guy named Donald Ross. Dylan better keep his eye on the Weather Channel, however, because Scotland is a land where a hard rain is known to fall, and that can only mean one thing: The tee times will be a changin’.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: February 10, 2007 11:07

The golf course is Gleneagles.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: February 10, 2007 16:36

yap yap Wrote:
> Dylan only uses "Taylor" made golf clubs with lots
> of vibrato.So much better than the Woods
> now................LOL

Hahaha...!!

Very clever and very funny...!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: February 25, 2007 05:42

Here ya go Lil' Brian.....'nover one for ya ole son...ALL lookin' coooooooool

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 25, 2007 05:45

Never seen that one before, Rockman,
it's from June 15th 1965..Perthshire, Scotland, just before they went to Scandinavia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1260
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home