Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: 1969---Which show was best: Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock or any Stones concert?
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 2, 2007 19:10

stonesrule - You came out of the closet!!! Good for you!

Re: 1969---Which show was best: Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock or any Stones concert?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 2, 2007 19:12

Can you say what the book is? smiling smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 2, 2007 19:18

Stonesrule:

I would love to read your book! Could you give me a clue?

C

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 2, 2007 19:39

Found it!

C

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 2, 2007 20:01

stonesrule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Most of Jimi Hendrix's peer group, including the
> Stones, seemed to agree that he was the most
> exciting performer they had ever seen.
>
> Jimi himself did not consider Woodstock a great
> performance for himself and the band, which he was
> not happy with. He was not keen on playing there
> as the festival became out of control from early
> that weekend.
>
> I've never said the following on the board before
> because here I just enjoy being a Rolling Stones
> fan...but I did know Hendrix well and recently
> wrote a book about him, which would give any true
> Hendrix fan many new insights as to what he and
> his life were all about. It corrects much false
> information. I'm not here to sell books so try
> your local library.
>
> The poster who thinks Hendrix is overrated is
> quite wrong. However, if he didn't see Jimi live
> who can blame him for his opinion.

By all means promote you book here. We are all here to engage in discussion and obtain knowledge. If you have insight that would enlighten us to more factual information and tidbits of his lore, please share some with us.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 2, 2007 20:06

Come On Wrote:
> Bob Dylan and The Band Isle of Wight 1969

No one who's actually heard that show could seriously claim that it was better than the Stones or Hendrix that year

As an event, though, Bob at the IOW was something special - but not musically.

Date: February 2, 2007 20:13

More excerpts from David Henderson:

My bio, originally titled Jimi Hendrix . . . Voodoo Child . . . in hardcover and revised, abridged, and retitled by me to 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Sky in the early '80s for the Bantam Books mass-market paperback edition, is still very much in print and very much available having sold more than 500,000 copies worldwide. It was - at least, I like to believe - the first book to proclaim Hendrix the total genius that he is and to say why, and, most importantly, to show how he was coming from an African-American perspective.

I wrote the book as the result of a promise I made to Hendrix at a nightclub in Manhattan in 1969. I had seen him go head to head with Sly Stone, who was then at his height, at the Fillmore East. They both blew me away so bad that I immediately revised my thinking about black music. While Amiri Baraka had gone from Blues People to Black Music, dealing with blues and jazz as art forms, I felt he had not really dealt with all that black expression in between. Not too many black writers were writing about the popular black music at that time.

While Sly Stone's music was eminently danceable, Hendrix's was not, although he himself had no trouble dancing to it. And also singing and playing and doing feats with his guitar - all at the same time. Hendrix was then playing a highly refined art music under the aegis of rock. If you listened beyond the standard drums and bass routines, there emerged an amazing virtuoso artist on guitar. Many heard it then, many hear it now. People have not stopped listening to Hendrix, because his shit is the real deal.

Recent events have shown that Hendrix's spirit is still very much involved in this world. The day in April of 1993 when a touring art show that featured representations of Hendrix's image, entitled "The Jimi Hendrix Exhibition," opened at a gallery in New York City's Soho district, Al Hendrix, his father, launched a lawsuit against the organizers of the show, who control the Hendrix Estate and who are also therefore the "legal" owners of Jimi Hendrix - all he had produced, including his image. Those anonymous entities purchased Jimi Hendrix some years ago. If this is not posthumous slavery, pop zombie-ism, then I don't know what is. The word out at this show was that they were not interested in anything about the strange circumstances of Hendrix's death. They were celebrating his life.

While those anonymous owners of Hendrix's oeuvre were avoiding talk or images of his death, a former girl friend, Kathy Etchingham, sought to have the original racist inquest reopened in England, where Hendrix was pronounced dead under mysterious circumstances in September of 1970. The inquest allowed an "open verdict" that meant they could not really say how he died, but many people who testified told conflicting stories before and after their testimonies. And the ambulance drivers, who apparently were not listened to at the time, recently stated that, when the ambulance got to the Samarkand Hotel, the flat was empty except for Hendrix's dead body, a wine-soaked towel around his neck. Of course, the inquest was not allowed to be re-opened, but Etchingham may continue to defy those who would not enjoy such access to the rewards of Hendrix's genius if it were discovered that he was actually murdered. A girlfriend who was near him at the end stated soon afterwards on a radio program that the Mafia had killed him.

Hendrix once said that rock 'n' roll was simply blues. Perhaps if he had waxed more extendedly on that subject black musicians might have heard it. It took the Black Rock Coalition behind Vernon Reid's band, Living Colors, to pound that point home way later.

But no matter how you designate the music, what matters in the end is how well it is played, be it for the dancers on a postage-sized dance floor or for a venue the size of Woodstock, a rolling expanse of earth as far as the eye can see. To listen to Hendrix today is constantly to be reminded of his gifts. His precise and rapid picking, his recognizance of sound and noise (from the most common blues rhythm guitar run, to the walls of distortion he created, to his ability to range between pure blues and avant-garde jazz forms), and more importantly his improvisational ability - all point out the totality of his delivery. While nearly all guitarists today have gone through his licks, they cannot get near to what he was unless they actually play his compositions (and that's what they are - compositions), and there you see how impossible it is for one guitarist to get the sound he got. I always wondered how it would be if an entire symphony were to play his compositions the way he played them. Not the way, it turned out, Gil Evans arranged them at Carnegie Hall either. It was a good effort, but it just pointed out how difficult the work really is. Hendrix made it sound easy. But if one feat of his remains paramount it would be his ability to play with feedback, control it, and make it melodic. I had heard Peter Townsend of the Who say that he had pioneered the use of feedback. I spent a few hours going through all of the Who's shit without ever hearing anything that approached Hendrix's control or melodic use of feedback within a song.

Date: February 2, 2007 20:20

Oh god, more conspiracy shit... I'll pass on the book. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: February 2, 2007 20:21

Bingo Wrote:
> JIMI HENDRIX & BAND OF GYPSIES
> FILLMORE EAST, NYC
> Dec. 31st, 1969 & Jan. 1st, 1970
>
> DVD-NTSC
>
> 01 Who Knows
> 02 Machine Gun
> 03 Them Changes
> 04 Power of Soul
> 05 Stepping Stone
> 06 Foxy Lady
> 07 Stop
> 08 Earth Blues
> (1st show: Jan. 1st, 1970)
>
> 09 Stepping Stone
> 10 Fire
> 11 Ezy Rider
> (2nd show: Dec. 31st, 1969)
>

Bingo, I have both CD's and IMO Woodstock is much better than the Fillmore. The problem with the Fillmore is that Buddy Miles is rubbernecking for attention too much on it. Great version of Machine Gun. Wild Thing is brief and seems truncated. Not much effort on that. No comparison to the energy and noodling Woodstock gives you.

Date: February 2, 2007 20:25

Mahcine Gun on the official album is KILLER, when that solo kicks in, oh man, one of his best moments!!! smiling smiley

Buddy's singing is fine on his showcase songs, but I wish he'd kept out of Machine Gun! :/

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 2, 2007 20:51

Couldn't agree more re Machine Gun. Jimi showed me the lyrics after he'd finished writing them and after seeing the words put down on hotel stationaryI had no idea the finished song would be SO powerful.

Re the conspiracy theories on his death, what utter rubbish.

Date: February 2, 2007 20:55

stonesrule Wrote:
> Couldn't agree more re Machine Gun. Jimi showed
> me the lyrics after he'd finished writing them and
> after seeing the words put down on hotel
> stationaryI had no idea the finished song would be
> SO powerful.
>
> Re the conspiracy theories on his death, what
> utter rubbish.

See, this is why you should handle your own book talk. tongue sticking out smiley

I thought that was from yours!?

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 2, 2007 20:58

Once played the Purple Haze version of this gig when i dj t...at a punk bar...there was skinheads to...they left the place..they could not stand it..that wos fun!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 2, 2007 21:02

SMASH...Bang.Thud.....Rip that door right off and throw it stonesrule....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 2, 2007 21:25

Thanks Rockman. I will try to impersonate Keith in an overly energetic moment on occasion.

Really don't wish to promote my book. Inappropriate here in Stonesland.
Maybe a little JH tidbit where applicable from time to time. I waited a long time to write the book because I do like to live in the present but as revisionist history and constant erroneous stuff about Hendrix became rampant, some of his friends basically told me. "Write about the guy we KNEW.,,what he was really like...what really happened. Consider it a historical doument."

His Majesty, You're right...I certainly don't want my book confused with that Henderson stuff.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 2, 2007 21:27

Tumblin_Dice_07 Wrote:
> I would have rather seen the
> Stones.......Woodstock was far from Jimi's best
> performance.....

I'm with Dice here.

Date: February 2, 2007 21:31

Stonesrule,

What did Jimi think of Brian Jones? No fluff for the hardcore fans tell it like it is please.

Were you at Woodstock or the Isle of Wight? One can't overlook the impressive drumming Mitch Mitchell laid down at the Isle of Wight. I have the DVD and he just rocks. Any thoughts?

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 2, 2007 21:39

Mitch Mitchell drumming on Isle of Wight is about the worst he ever played. He admitted himself in an interview that he was a bit rusty at the time. The word sloppy has seldom been more appropriate.

Date: February 2, 2007 21:39

How cool is that, being friends with Jimi Hendrix.

stonesrule - I'm not worthy, i'm not worthy, i'm not worthy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-02 22:34 by CindyC.

Date: February 2, 2007 21:54

Can someone email what the book is please?

deleted email link

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-02 22:04 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 2, 2007 22:22

Ditto what Cindy said, that's a way cool attitude you have had, Stonesrule,
and if you'd like to give people the title or not, that's all up to you,
I think people will respect whichever desicion you make.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: February 2, 2007 22:22

A funny (?) thing about Hendix is that when Jimi Hendrix Experience played Gröna Lund, Stockholm, Sweden, 1967 they dragged on with half an hour and the organizer quite simply switched off the electricity.
The band and the the crowd just had to accept.

<a href="[www.birger-jarl.net] Hendrix Stockholm 1967</a>

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-02 22:43 by Thommie.

Date: February 2, 2007 22:33

Okay guys. The book is JIMI HENDRIX: THE MAN, THE MAGIC, THE TRUTH published in the last two years in US, UK, FRANCE, ITALY, FINLAND and eventually GREECE, BRAZIL and other countries.

I deliberately refused to take the hype...tabloid..expoloitive route. It's the real Jimi, often in his own words. If you read it, please don't post excerpts on the web. Copyright infringement, etc.

Re Brian Jones, I talk about his friendship with JH in the book. Brian greatly admired him. Jimi liked Brian and always wished him well.

Re Isle of Wight, Jimi was not at all happy to be playing there because he felt on the spot and had nothing new and exciting to show the audience. The band was under-rehearsed but Jimi had little to say about where and when the band played.

Mitch was and is a great drummer I was very happy to see Mitch backstage at the UK Music Hall of Fame Awards in November 2005. I'm sure Mitch would agree that Isle of Wight was not a great performance. Many sound problems.

Thommie, great story!

Last time I saw Jimi play was early September 1970 in Copenhagen. Saw and talked to him up until the time of his death, truth of which is in the book. No conspiracies. Just a young man very tired of his life and surrounded by creeps.

Posted by: discreetrocker ()
Date: February 2, 2007 22:44

I saw Jimi in Ottawa Canada in Feb 1968 at the old Capital Theatre.Front row balcony ,dead centre.Loudest guitar I have heard in my life! Ears seemed blocked after the concert as traffic and noise seemmed muffled.He was unbelievable. The Soft Machine opened for Jimi.You can't compare Jimi or The Stones. They are both different as any comparison of The Stones and The Beatles.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 2, 2007 22:56

stonesrule....all of the above very nicely spoken.
Dignity now thats a word that suits you....

Looking forward to reading your book and
getting a peek into Jimi & The Stones camps...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 2, 2007 23:00

Thank you...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 2, 2007 23:51

stonesrule Wrote:
> Okay guys. The book is JIMI HENDRIX: THE MAN, THE
> MAGIC, THE TRUTH published in the last two years
> in US, UK, FRANCE, ITALY, FINLAND and eventually
> GREECE, BRAZIL and other countries.
>
> I deliberately refused to take the
> hype...tabloid..expoloitive route.

More credit to you for doing so

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 2, 2007 23:54

Thanks Stonesrule!

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: February 2, 2007 23:55

The Sicilian Wrote:
> Tumblin_Dice_07 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The band he used at Woodstock........they had
> > about 4 names.....Gypsy, Sun and Rainbow or the
> > Electric Sky Church or whatever.......they
> weren't
> > one of Jimi's best ensembles.....or let me say
> > that they never had the chance to be that good
> > seeing as how that was their one and only
> gig.....
>
> Check again,
>
> Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell played with him on a
> few gigs. How about the Isle of Wight Festival?
> Or for the DVD "Live At Berkeley" in addition to
> 30 other shows between April and August of 1970.
>
> By the way Hendrix played for 2 hours at Woodstock
> to date his longest show. Star Spangled Banner
> was so good the Stones included it at the
> conclusion of their shows on the 1981 tour.

Yes I'm well aware that Jimi had a latter-day version of the Expirience with Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox ....it's not the same band as the Woodstock ensemble.....just Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell are the same.....so what's your point???

He never played with that particular line-up of musician's in his Woodstock band again..at least not in concert.....which included a couple of percussionists and a rhythm guitar player (If I remember correctly)......they were called Gypsy, Sun, and Rainbow or the Electric Sky Church or something....even though I think Chip Monck introduces them as the Jimi Hendrix Expirience......guess I didn't make myself clear.

Date: February 2, 2007 23:56

Yeah - a very classy lady. We are lucky to have her on here.

See naysayers - we're not just a bunch of stupid, brainwashed @#$%&! Ok well maybe some of us are (StonesTod), but there are exceptions.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1539
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home