Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: USA Trip.
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 26, 2007 10:42

rooster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You maybe wanna go to tha Ron Wood pub in
> Florida...if it still exist.

Woody's At The Beach closed down some years ago I think.

Another thing I forgot to mention: We wanna try those insane rollercoasters at the Six Flags Theme Parks.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 26, 2007 15:53

I agree with someone's advice about Detroit and St. Louis. While St. Louis is nice, not a lot to draw tourists, unless you catch a Chuck Berry show at Blueberry Hill (he plays there once a month for like $20).

If you're looking for Robert Johnson, read this book, it's awesome:

[www.amazon.com]

While it's about a lot more than Robert Johnson, besides Bob Dylan, he's the biggest running theme throughout the book, and they go to several of the rumored gravesites. Just a good book in general.

Posted by: keefkid ()
Date: January 26, 2007 15:58

little queenie Wrote:
> also, i wouldn't take an RV either - you won't be
> able to park it in cities and you don't want to
> deal with trying to find a place to park it so you
> can then take public transportation. don't get an
> SUV, either - they waste too much gas.

ya i agree, rent a Subaru Outback wagon, plenty of room, 4wd (but low clearance cant go too far off road), and you can sleep in it if you have to lol

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: January 27, 2007 02:47

Maybe a mini-van would be good. Its easy to park but roomy inside and rides well on the highway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-27 02:49 by keithfan64.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 27, 2007 04:02

I would omit Orlando and Miami unless you have specific reasons for wanting to be there.

Agree Austin and Nashville are worthwhile. And New Orleans is REALLY special.
You might want to consider forgetting Nashville this trip and doing Austin, Jackson, Robert Johnson Mississippi Delta region (fabulous and can give you contacts) and Memphis.

There was a time when Atlanta was a must but it's lost much of its Southern charm and the music is not what it once was there, in terms of rock.

You might want to think over Boston and Cape Cod...Kennedy Library etc. Boston has great history and many diverse attractions.

If you are into great art exhibitions and museums let me know. I can give you some pointers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-27 04:04 by stonesrule.

Posted by: thor ()
Date: January 27, 2007 04:43

My advice ewould be to not plan too specific an itinerary. I spent 3 years travelling around Europe (and then on to India and Nepal, etc) but the beauty is to have no "set" plans. Just take what each place you visit "gives you' and be open to any suggestions that other people you meet may have. You may end up travelling to stay at someones relatives that you have met and experiencing "the real life". Also, major cities are NOT a Must (exc. New York and maybe a couple others)...get out and meet the people...and they dont live in the major cities. There was a wonderful book written about 20 yrs ago by Steve jenkins called " A Walk Across America"....fabulous as to how he discovered the "real" American and Americans. Just my opinion from someone who backpacked around the world many years ago.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: January 27, 2007 05:42

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> >
> Another thing I forgot to mention: We wanna try
> those insane rollercoasters at the Six Flags Theme
> Parks.

...... the six flags in valencia (los angeles) is dismantling two of there major coasters,,, there aim is to make the park more family friendly for pure economic reasons.......

if you really are a 'thrill' seeker, , get yourself in a barrel and roll on over niagara falls.....

Date: January 27, 2007 07:39

Kentish, you must look me up when you're in Seattle. I should like to get you drunk!!!!!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: January 27, 2007 09:54

The Menace of Mayfair Wrote:
> Kentish, you must look me up when you're in
> Seattle. I should like to get you drunk!!!!!

Yep. If Seattle is gonna be one of the places I'll look you up. I already thought about that, but it's a long time from now....

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 27, 2007 09:59

i suggest you start off in the east and end up in the west - save the best for last.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 27, 2007 10:09

little queenie Wrote:
> i suggest you start off in the east and end up in
> the west - save the best for last.

LQ,you always talk so fondly of the west coast. What ya doing in Chi.town? If you don't mindme asking.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: January 27, 2007 10:15

see a concert at msg if there is - gnr, pearl jam and was gonna say aerosmith but i doubt it june or july

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 27, 2007 10:15

i'm back here because my mom is getting elderly and she's alone. i'm an only child and my dad died in high school. i suppose there could be worse places to be, but yes, i love the west. i've spent most of my years out there since high school (and almost 5 years on the east coast). i'll be back in california someday.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: January 27, 2007 12:10

Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park in extreme SW Utah are a must, drive from Vegas. It would be worth it to continue up Utah to Great Salt Lake and then drive back down and proceed to Phoenix.

No pictures or films can depict the awesome beauty of the Grand Canyon. Do the Grand Canyon by driving north from Phoenix, and be sure to swing through Sedona on the way back.

I agree with above comment to go lower through Texas to see Austin and San Antonio. I would zip through Texas, spend a couple of days in New Orleans, and hit Daytona Beach in Florida, not bothering to go to Miami, because you have much more in Australia.

On the west coast and southern east coast concentrate on the natural beauty, but in the north-east concentrate on the cities themselves. I'd spend two days at the Smithsonian in D.C. DOn't miss the old section of Philadelphia and tour the U.S. Mint.

I would zip across the mid west and hit Yellowstone and the Rocky Mountains [Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado].

Here's the problem with a six month visit: The Canyons and Mountains are cold and dangerous in the winter, and the extreme south is hot and humid during the summer. I'd suggest Seattle and California in April, the southern leg and the canyons in May-June, the east coast and north-east in July-August, and the Yellowstone-Rocky's leg in August-September.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: January 27, 2007 18:35

little queenie Wrote:
>i'll be back in
> california someday.

_________ yeah,,, you know where to go..........

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: January 27, 2007 18:43

Cities that are a must see San FRancisco, New Orleans, New York.

You're arriving in Seattle, look into venturing to Crater Lake, in Oregon. That's a cool spot. Also Yosemite and Lake Taho in California...then drive south to San FRancisco.

[www.nps.gov]

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: January 27, 2007 22:27

Nothing to see in Oklahoma, unless you are into strip malls and fat women.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 28, 2007 03:59

little queenie Wrote:
> i'm back here because my mom is getting elderly
> and she's alone. i'm an only child and my dad died
> in high school. i suppose there could be worse
> places to be, but yes, i love the west. i've spent
> most of my years out there since high school (and
> almost 5 years on the east coast). i'll be back in
> california someday.

That's right Little Queenie. I remember you mentioning that before. That's all the reason you need.

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: January 28, 2007 04:30

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Adrian-L Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > do it when the Stones go on tour
>
>
> Thought of that already. Would be nice, and it
> would be a dream to go see them in USA. However,
> I'm not so sure they'll tour in 2008 or 2009.

Theyve already started discussing a 20- 25 show indoor tour in 2008, in the USA. Plan your trip accordingly.

Posted by: imonlysleeping ()
Date: January 28, 2007 11:39

> For a lot of Europeans, I think
> they misjudge how big this great land of ours is,
> so be ready for plenty of driving.

That's true. A year and a half ago we drove from Dallas, Texas to San Francisco. As the crow flies that's about 2000 miles. But we ended up driving some 4500 miles. All of which was great. I loved the US. But in Europe that same distance would get us from my home town (Amsterdam) deep into the heart of Siberia, or somewhere in the heart of Africa, crossing at least 5 borders, filled up our passports with visa's and border-stamps.

By the way: I liked Texas, the people there are very friendly and hospitable. It is not the pretiest of states, but it is a lot of fun meeting people, and be overwhelmed by the size of it.

Date: January 28, 2007 11:40

The southern states I look forward to the most.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 28, 2007 14:14

If you're into Bruce Springsteen, I'd recommend New Jersey...Atlantic City, Asbury Park and such, very strange atmosphere there, like a ghost town, just like some of Bruce's lyrics.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1972
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home