Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Q re. Stones' SACD
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 20, 2007 09:31

I am thinking about getting the Stones' albums (all of 'em) on SACD. But I'm wondering: is it really worth it? I mean if I have just your basic CD player will I notice a real difference?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Re: Q re. Stones' SACD
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 20, 2007 09:38

If you don't have any of the 2002 remasters, I would suggest you get them even if you don't have a SACD player. They sound great just on a regular CD player, especially Beggars Banquet.
I eventually got all of the remasters except for Hot Rocks and Through The Past since all the songs can be found on others.

Posted by: Sugar Brown ()
Date: January 20, 2007 12:16

buy the vinyl lp you get the real sound...(ok i know it's difficult today)

ok, admit SACD is fantastic sound...but some deceptions,

-BAnquet SACD : where are the guitares??? (stray cat blues lead riffs...)
same for 2000 light years from home on Satanic... where is the rhytm guitare???
I don't here it...seems the guitatre player is out of the studio;

and it's better tell nothing about Let it Bleed!!!

Don't want stones sound so clean, cold and clinical...

burn cd, burn!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 20, 2007 12:21

I have some SACD, but not the player.

The CD layer, as discussed many times, IS an improvement vs. that utter crap that the remaster version was (the one with the black strip and red writing) BUT sounds too clean, there is too much separation in the instruments.

The original decca cds are probably the best version. They sound like dull LP's, but at least the dirty mix is there.

C

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: January 20, 2007 12:57

out of our heads both uk & us versions (december children too)the recorded chess & rca sessions 1965,
sounds much better on the usual cd & sacd versions..

on the vinyl there was fake stereo...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 20, 2007 13:04

technically they're hybrid CD/SACDs, (which is why those of us who don't have SACD-equipped systems can play 'em).
i didn't have any desire at all to replace my existing collection, so i bought my first one (Beggars) quite reluctantly
and i wound up getting all of them except the compilations. they sound great to me.
this site discusses the differences in detail: [lukpac.org]
scroll down to section 4 to read how the CD/SACD hybrids (called "the current ABKCO remasters") compare with other versions.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 20, 2007 14:17

The problem is, people get used to the version they heard first, or have owned the longest, so when a new remaster comes along and it sounds different, they tend to think it's 'wrong'

I'm glad that the Beggars Banquet remaster is given a good review in that linked page, it truly sounds amazing and it is the only ABKO CD/SACD remaster I own.

What is this though?

"On the plus side, one
can now clearly identify what's playing under the very beginning of the guitar-intro of the
song: Midnight Rambler! It plays until the horn comes in for the first time, and then there
is an audible "click" as it disappears."

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 20, 2007 15:10

>> What is this though? <<

that there is a remark about YCAGWYW on the CD/SACD hybrid version of Let It Bleed.

ahem, i mean: what are you asking, HM?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 20, 2007 15:17

Ah, i read that as, you could hear something else clearer at the start of MR. Oops!!!

Thought it may have been the mysterious Brian Jones percussion! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 20, 2007 15:33

i vote for the SACDs....I have an SACD player so obviously it's sounds great.
But I have also listened to them in the regular CD mode...and they still sound great. The 1986 releases were muddy sounding crap.

You should definitely notice a difference no matter what type of stereo equipment you're using.

Buy Metamorphosis SACD first (since you can't get it any other way - officially)...give it a listen. Decide if you like the sound...and then make your decision. I think you'll want to re-build your collection w/SACDs.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 20, 2007 16:42

Try and listen Memo From Turner of SACD.
This song is totally different from regular CD, I think.
The version is fresh and lush that I can't believe it was recorded in 1967 or 68.
I don't know who played the guitar though.
I'm glad to have SACD player, Single Collection and Metamorphosis for just to listen this one song.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 20, 2007 16:50

I like them, but only bothered getting the CD's I didn't already have. (The UK editions and Got Live If You Want It) The sound is superior but really wouldn't bother replacing your whole collection.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 20, 2007 21:11

I have 4 of these, and no SACD player.

1) Ya yas
2) Metamorphisis
3) Aftermath (UK)
4) Between the Buttons (UK)

These sound amazing. My favourite sounding of these 4 is Between the Buttons, and a huge, HUGE sound improvement is noticable. No, not just noticeable - SRCEAMINGLY obvious. That is, except for Ya-Ya's.

If I'm not mistaken, the two-channel stereo layer version of this re-mastering of these albums can be conveniently appreciated heard on Forty Licks - Disc One.

[thepowergoats.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1403
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home