Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Just My Imagination: A hypothetical 2007 Euro tour schedule
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 17, 2007 20:48

erikjjf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Give it a couple of weeks, and you'll have a few
> more pieces to the puzzle.

It's time now. I want to plan my other holidays

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 17, 2007 20:49

Other???

Posted by: beast of burgk ()
Date: January 17, 2007 22:04

andy js Wrote:
> beast of burgk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think a tour schedule like that would really
> > make sense, but it is just hypothetical (!),
> > except from some detailed rumours:
>
> > - June 28: Liverpool, England, UK
> > - June 30: London, England, UK (hall concert,
> not
> > Wembley stadium!)
> > - July 2: London, England, UK
>
> > I think that would be a really “fair” (mainly)
> > stadium tour, with most shows (nearly) sold
> out.
> > What do you think?
>
>
> LIVERPOOL ? LIVERPOOL ?
>
> what are you on ?

Where else should they play in the UK, except for smaller London shows. Things like that are only possible in Northern Ireland, Northern Scotland, Birmingham or the Liverpool/ Manchester area I think.

I don't know what's your problem with Liverpool, but is has 440.000 inhabitents and many smaller "big cities" around. Sheffield with its 2006 show is maybe not very far, but it should reach for a 30.000 stadium show. I can't imagine that there would be no venue like that.

But of course this is just "serious speculation".

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: January 17, 2007 22:23

my problem is its a shithole without any decent venues. if they're going to play anywhere in the UK outside of London, it should be the second city

the city that is in the centre of the country and with all the relevant transport links

Date: January 17, 2007 22:27

Rotterdam is such as "shithole" as well, but there have been maybe 15 Stones shows over the years. Anyway, my "tour schedule" is not official. Maybe they'll do Birmingham instead, would make as much sense. Or only fooling around in London... as always.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: January 17, 2007 23:10

it's about time they didn't play London at all

now that would be GOOD

Date: January 18, 2007 00:14

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> Some times wishes come true... Thru IORR....
> Never underestimate the Power Of Active
> Imagination On Quiet Sundays... grinning smiley

Thanks!

I wanna see them - first of all - at the so called Festwiese Ostragehege in Dresden (site is 9 km away from my home), although I'd prefer a hall concert or a concert at the "Freilichtbühne Großer Garden" where Dylan played on his 59th birthday in 2000 - something like Berlin's Waldbühne or the Hollywood Palladium, but 2/3 smaller, for 7.000 people. But what was possible in Dublin in 2003 or so seems to be not possible anymore - the band wants the most possible money now! So better a 70.000 show than none... What shall we do?

Anyway, Dresden is the only half Mio. metropole and centre of a conglomeration area in Germany that has seen no Stones concert until now. I think it is not unlikely that it will/could happen this time. The case is indeed very similar to Trondheim, Norway or places like Bordeaux, France and many more. I wish you good luck!

It's not impossible if you look at the US tour, especially the 3rd "leg" with a lot of "new" towns and regions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-18 00:20 by beast of burgk.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: January 18, 2007 11:51

beast of burgk Wrote:
> Rotterdam is such as "shithole" as well, but there
> have been maybe 15 Stones shows over the years.
> Anyway, my "tour schedule" is not official. Maybe
> they'll do Birmingham instead, would make as much
> sense. Or only fooling around in London... as
> always.

Beast of burgk, to start with: I support the idea of an imaginative schedule, it keeps our minds fresh and busy. A lot of idea's com up of what WOULD or COULD be a nice thing to do.

But I have to say: whatever you think of Rotterdam: since 1750 it hasn't been a shithole. Not in relative terms, and maybe only slightly in absolute terms, during crises and a brief periode in the '40s when it hardly existed. Whatever Mick JAgger may have said about it, being the ugliest place he's ever been: it is, for example, one of the very few European cities to have staged a Volvo Ocean Race finish, and a VOR in-port race, and it is in many aspects a pionering city in Europe. Art, architecture, events, music. Not to mention the economical magnitude for the Rhine-aerea. Ugly: to a large extend, due to rebuilding in a concrete-era. Shithole: not in any case.

To stick to the topic: maybe they can release a single for the tour, named Sweet Neo Conjuncture-surfing.

Jelle

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 18, 2007 12:36

beast of burgk Wrote:
>>
> I don't know what's your problem with Liverpool,
> but is has 440.000 inhabitents and many smaller
> "big cities" around.

the 'problem' is that it doesnt have a major arena and neither of the two football stadiums EVER stage concerts - presumably because of their location.

Just because a city is large and has a stadium doesnt mean its 'suitable'

Which I think was Andy's point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-18 12:37 by Gazza.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 18, 2007 12:39

Gazza Wrote:
> Just because a city is large and has a stadium doesnt mean its 'suitable'

True. How suitable would Newcastle be for a show?

Date: January 18, 2007 12:46

Very, in fact. The Stones, Dylan and Springsteen all played stadium shows there in 82.84 and 85. I was at the last two (couldnt get tix for the Stones one).

I'm sure other acts have followed since. St James Park is in less of a built up area than Everton and Liverpool's stadiums are, though. So, either there would be trouble getting a licence or the clubs simply dont allow their stadiums to be used for concerts.

Its a bit out of the way though, relating to the rest of the north of England. A stadium in Yorkshire or Lancashire would be more suitable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-18 12:47 by Gazza.

Date: January 18, 2007 12:49

The Stones also did a show there in 1990. But I've wondered why they haven't been back since.

Date: January 18, 2007 14:19

Thats true, they were there in 1990. They played 10 UK stadium dates that year.

However, outdoor shows in general have been few and far between in UK cities outside of London ever since, and in bigger urban areas than Newcastle.

Its simply easier to shift £150 tickets in London than it is anywhere else.

Date: January 18, 2007 14:45

Maybe Manchester then. Or Birmingham?

Date: January 18, 2007 17:41

as discussed earlier, Birmingham is probably too close to London to consider a stadium show as well as one in the capital.

If its exclusively a stadium tour, I honestly dont think there'll be any shows in the UK this summer outside London as we got our full quota last year with no cancellations, but if they did play a provincial date, Manchester would probably be the most likely.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 18, 2007 18:53

I'd often wondered that they chose Sheffield for three out of the last four tours [much to my delight because I live quite near] but I suppose it's gepgraphically and logistically a very good choice.
It always sounds good too... because it's a very open athletics stadium with no nasty great stands to bugger the sound up. Only trouble is..it usually pisses it down when the Stones are in town!
I'm sure they'll go somewhere else this time though. I can't complain. I've been able to sleep in my own bed the gig a few times now. It's somebody else's turn to have that luxury.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: January 18, 2007 20:31

6 German shows? Never! First this looks more like an EAST-German tour and second they won't find any promoter anymore in Germany who takes the risk after what happened in 2006.

Maybe they can sell cheap tickets in East Europe (well, free show in Romania) but I fear it gets difficult for the rest of Europe. It at all, I think no more then 10-12 shows in Europe. But you never know...

Date: January 18, 2007 22:56

rknuth Wrote:
> 6 German shows? Never! First this looks more like
> an EAST-German tour and second they won't find any
> promoter anymore in Germany who takes the risk
> after what happened in 2006.
>
> Maybe they can sell cheap tickets in East Europe
> (well, free show in Romania) but I fear it gets
> difficult for the rest of Europe. It at all, I
> think no more then 10-12 shows in Europe. But you
> never know...

Danke für die Post, Rüdiger! Ansonsten möchte ich widersprechen. - I'd like to express a different position. I think it is much easier to fill three venues in East Germany than in the West part. Simply because they are not "overplayed" except for the conglomeration areas of Berlin/Potsdam or Leipzig/Halle of course with bad ticket sales in 2003 and 2006 indeed. The problem of the German dates scheduled for 2006 was 1) that it was nearly all in the "same as usual" town/ regions, 2) the Soccer world cup. Many people that are "a bit" Stones fans went to the games and not the Stones.

That does not mean that up till six shows next year in Germany would not (nearly) sell out. E.g. Dresden has a "own" conglomeration area of 800.000 people plus Chemnitz with its 300.000 inhabitens and Upper Lusatia (Bautzen, Gorlitz). That's already almost enough to fill the "other" Festwiese I think. Especially if you consider that gigs like this did not happen here in the past (Robbie Williams' 2 gigs last year were the first major Rock/Pop events here since Joe Cocker in 1987 or so - but this was nearly a free concert.) Plus some people from Leipzig, Cottbus and some bigger or hardcore fans from elsewhere.
Poor sales in Leipzig do not mean poor ticket sales in Dresden one year later. Remember it was the 4th show scheduled for Leipzig within 11 years; a bit too much. 85-90% of a stadium audience do NOT leave their own region for a concert, even if it is a Stones show. They drive maybe 40 or 70 kilometers but not more than 90 to get to a show.

So you can do another concert in Erfurt, of course. Erfurt and Dresden are no rivals, because of the 200 km distance. Selling the 25.000 tix there is a joke. If they announce this show, it would be sold out in a few days, probably. The only major stadium show there was Bon Jovi in something like 1996.

Rostock would be such a market similar to Erfurt. No problem to sell out the Ostseestadion (35.000). Most people there have never been to a Stones show, because Hamburg, Berlin or Hanover are too far away.

Even if three concerts in East Germany are wishfull thinking and two are more likely, I wanted to express what would be possible. East Germany is poorer than the West, of course and has by far less population. But here the Stones a something "new". So I think it would be more difficult to fill maybe the Dortmund/Dusseldorf or Bochum stadium or Hamburg/Bremen than the places I suggested.

Similar is the situation in East Europe. No problem for instance to fill a stadium in Kiew. The Ucraine has similar population like Spain (!), but never got a show. Of course, it is not a rich country, but it would be packed I think. Same for Poland or so.

If Cohl uses his experiences with the US tour - especially the 3rd leg - to make up a really successfull (2nd) European Tour then he should avoid the towns were they been too much and discover the "hidden markets"!

30 sold out or crowded show in Europe this year are possible! But not in Cologne, Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, Berlin, Munich etc. for the 100th time!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-19 00:28 by beast of burgk.

Date: January 18, 2007 23:00

sluissie Wrote:
> beast of burgk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Rotterdam is such as "shithole" as well, but
> there
> > have been maybe 15 Stones shows over the years.
> > Anyway, my "tour schedule" is not official.
> Maybe
> > they'll do Birmingham instead, would make as
> much
> > sense. Or only fooling around in London... as
> > always.
>
>
> Beast of burgk, to start with: I support the idea
> of an imaginative schedule, it keeps our minds
> fresh and busy. A lot of idea's com up of what
> WOULD or COULD be a nice thing to do.
>
> But I have to say: whatever you think of
> Rotterdam: since 1750 it hasn't been a shithole.
> Not in relative terms, and maybe only slightly in
> absolute terms, during crises and a brief periode
> in the '40s when it hardly existed. Whatever Mick
> JAgger may have said about it, being the ugliest
> place he's ever been: it is, for example, one of
> the very few European cities to have staged a
> Volvo Ocean Race finish, and a VOR in-port race,
> and it is in many aspects a pionering city in
> Europe. Art, architecture, events, music. Not to
> mention the economical magnitude for the
> Rhine-aerea. Ugly: to a large extend, due to
> rebuilding in a concrete-era. Shithole: not in any
> case.
>
> To stick to the topic: maybe they can release a
> single for the tour, named Sweet Neo
> Conjuncture-surfing.
>
> Jelle

No problem with Rotterdam. Very important metropole. I only wanted to express that it is not as attractive culturally as Amsterdam, Budapest, Stockholm, Dresden or Prague. That's it. I know R'dam is the centre (together with A'dam) of the biggest Stones market in Europe, if you look at the population of the Netherlands (which is not THAT much).

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1645
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home