Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: joggers
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 15, 2007 10:39

From a running snobbery point of view, 'jogging' is a bit of a dirty word.
It's like calling The Stones a 'pop' group.

I Have run between 30-40 half marathons, numerous 10k races , etc, etc
and the London Marathon 5 times.

Currently recovering from a back injury and hope to resume training this week, in time to compete in the Brighton Half Marathon ,on Feb 18th.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 15, 2007 10:41

little queenie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as a matter of interest, not many people in the US
> calls it "jogging" - that was a term from the 70s
> when it became trendy here - it's "running" - and
> it doesn't matter how fast you go (technically, i
> think jog is usually a slow run)

They didnt till now; but they might start doin it,
after this thread... winking smiley

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: January 15, 2007 12:56

I jog as much as MT does!!!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 15, 2007 12:57

Now be gentle to the man who is celebrating his berfday the day after tomorrow smiling smiley

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: January 15, 2007 14:18

I used to run around 40 miles a week and done 3 marathons and a few half marathons before the bones started playing up espiecally my left side hip as soon as the consultant stated the fact it was my hip paining me i knew my running days were unfortunately over.

After a 12 month rest from all sports i decided to get back to doing something and started back in the gym which will never replace running but at least it keeps the weight off.

Date: January 15, 2007 14:47

Me approaching The Mall- Flora London Marathon, April 2006

Me in The Mall - Flora London Marathon, April 2006

Me, at the finish- Flora London Marathon, April 2006

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-15 14:50 by Adrian-L.

Date: January 15, 2007 17:59

LOGIE Wrote:
> I've ran 32 full marathons (26.2 miles) and have a
> best time of 2 hrs 59 mins 48 secs.

v. impressive Logie
does that equate/average to 2 full marathons per year?
-thats a heavy training schedule.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 15, 2007 18:20

Adrian-L Wrote:
> LOGIE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've ran 32 full marathons (26.2 miles) and have
> a
> > best time of 2 hrs 59 mins 48 secs.
>
> v. impressive Logie
> does that equate/average to 2 full marathons per
> year?
> -thats a heavy training schedule.

I USED to have a heavy training schedule (ie around 50 miles per week) but having acheived my PB in only my sixth marathon, and my target fulfilled (under 3 hours), I couldn't help but lose interest, and ran merely as a means of just trying to keep fit. Anyway, here's my breakdown of what I've done over the years:

1983: Liverpool.
1984: Liverpool, Stockport, Manchester.
1985: Liverpool, Manchester (Pcool smiley, London, Bolton, Barnsley.
1986: Liverpool, London, Windermere.
1987: Paris.
1988: Los Angeles.
1989: London, Derby.
1991: Nottingham, Leeds, St Albans.
1992: London, Nottingham, Luton
1993: London (Hungover from heavy drinking session!), Polytechnic (Windsor to Chiswick).
1994: London
1995: London
1997: London
1998: London
2000: London
2001: London, San Francisco.
2005: New York (absolutely crap performance!!!) I shall return!!

I've nothing lined up for this year as yet, but my aim is to get back into shape. Then watch me!

Unless of course, the pub has a greater pull!

Date: January 15, 2007 18:32

you're at a whole different level to me, Logie,
my best is 3.32
i average out over my marathons at approx 3.55 -4.00 hours.

..had always wanted to achieve a negative split- and did it last year..
but the large field/bottlenecks at start, certainly contributed to my ambition becoming a reality.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 15, 2007 18:51

Adrian-L Wrote:
> you're at a whole different level to me, Logie,
> my best is 3.32
> i average out over my marathons at approx 3.55
> -4.00 hours.
>
> ..had always wanted to achieve a negative split-
> and did it last year..
> but the large field/bottlenecks at start,
> certainly contributed to my ambition becoming a
> reality.

These days, if I put in some half-decent training (i.e. 30 miles per week for 16 weeks) the four-hour mark is usually where I come out around. With regard to London however, the bottle-necking issue makes it impossible to get excellent times unless you get away from the field early on, and stay there. In 1985, at my best, I did a 3:17 there, and achieved a 2:59 literally weeks later where the field was much smaller (8,000) and there was road ahead to stretch out over. That's what you need if you are serious about going for a really decent time.

In the meantime, here's a few pics I've just unearthed from that era!! Don't laugh!!!

Date: January 16, 2007 15:49

great photos Logie- thanks for sharing.
love the adidas'- they'd be classed as 'retro' nowadays
and would cost a fortune, lol

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: January 17, 2007 23:34

some great runners out there ! no Q about that !

ran my usual wed night 6 km in minus 8 degees and if not for the northern lights it would have been compl dark,
really great atmosphere.

best D

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 17, 2007 23:38

Hey 6853! What is the best time of year to visit Iceland and see the northern lights?

Date: January 18, 2007 00:25

now now now EG !

when it is most dark, around cristmas time etc

i understand that there come travelgroups from japan, around new years time, especially to see the northern light...

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: January 18, 2007 05:47

I'm 22 and I run about 2 miles on average a few times a week. but last time I could only do 1 mile b/c I was just getting over a bad cold. I should probably be able to do more but I can't seem to get past 2. Did 5 miles once though when I was 19. I think one of the most satisfying things is finishing up a nice run while listening to some good, energetic music.
I would love to have a great body like Mick when I'm his age. I really need to start paying attention to the food, alcohol and smoking now so I can be super healthy later on.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 18, 2007 06:33

A story that appeared in todays newspaper:

Linda Yalem, 22, was killed in 1990. Alleged killer ran in 1996 race.

Six years after the murder of Linda Yalem, a University at Buffalo student killed while running on the Ellicott Creek Bike Path, Altemio C. Sanchez ran the race held in her memory.
Sanchez, arrested this week after DNA evidence identified him as the Bike Path Killer, wore race number 679 with the name of the Linda Yalem Memorial Run printed on it during that Sept. 29, 1996, race.

Amherst police always felt that Yalem's killer would someday run the race and were there that day, looking at the various men who were entered, videotaping the finish, hoping they would see someone who would fit the composite drawing they had refined over the years.

In the end, it was a clue from a cold case and DNA evidence that led to Monday's arrest of Sanchez, 48, and tied him not only to Yalem's killing, but to two other killings and at least five sexual attacks in the last 26 years.

Records show that Sanchez made his only appearance at the Yalem run in 1996, registering under his own name.

Dennis R. Black, UB's vice president of student affairs, put the race together just weeks after Yalem's death along with fellow administrators Emily Ward and Nan Harvey.

When Black heard the news of Sanchez's arrest, he said, he felt a shudder go through him.

The bigger shock came Tuesday, when he was able to check the race registrations.

There in the list of the 1996 entries was the name: Altemio Sanchez, 38, of Cheektowaga.

"It was both sickening and frightening," Black said when he found Sanchez's name on the list.

Sanchez was one of 1,548 people who signed up for the race. A lone bagpiper played "Amazing Grace" and led runners on a short walk from UB's Alumni Arena to the starting line.

Before the gun went off to start the 5-kilometer race on that cool, crisp morning, race officials called for a moment of silence.

Not a sound was heard as runners honored the memory of Linda Yalem, 22, who was killed six years earlier on that same day while training for the New York City Marathon.

If the Gordon Highlander bagpiper and silent moment didn't get the message across, race officials, as they do each year, reinforced the reason behind the race. They handed out lighted key rings to Sanchez and each of the other runners that morning to remind them to be safe while running.

Don Mitchell, who for years did the computer scoring for the race through his Runtime Services, also checked his race database for Sanchez's name Tuesday.

Sanchez ran only three races, all in 1996, in the more than 20 years that Mitchell scored most of the area's major races, his search found.

At the time of the Yalem run in 1996, the homicidal Bike Path Rapist had not attacked anyone since two years before and would not strike again until the 2006 death of Joan Diver.

Mitchell's records show that Sanchez was no more than a recreational runner, and a bit of plodder at that.

His time was 29 minutes, 43 seconds for the 3.1-mile Yalem run, 635th out of 760 men.

Those who ran the race that year, including Sanchez, received a greeting from race officials when they entered:

"We hope that the University and Western New York running community will again join together to remind one another that we must take steps to ensure our safety and not allow our lives to be controlled by fear."

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: January 18, 2007 08:27

........ here's a quarter,,, call a cab...........

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: January 18, 2007 11:17

I'm training for my first marathon(LA on March 4th). It's a pain, but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run.

Date: January 18, 2007 11:36

best wishes jomo-
keep training- it will 100% be worth it
The emotions you will experience on race day,
will take you from one extreme to the other,
but it'll all be worth it, as you approach the finish line.

get your name printed on your vest/t-shirt.. it makes a hell of a difference in crowd support.

and be prepared for an 'empty'sense of anti-climax, the day after.
..after a couple of weeks of rest - you're be planning your next one.
it's addictive.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 18, 2007 12:22

Two miles a day since 1998

I hardly miss one day a year.

Even when I flight long haul, I manage to wake up earlier and jog my two miles in the dark. And I feel more comfortable when flying.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: January 18, 2007 14:45

I go out for doing sports almost every day. Jogging, especially in winter, biking and tennis.
Sometimes, I go out, just to move my body a bit, let's say, 30 or 40 minutes, not too fast, that's very relaxing. Sometimes, I jog in the morning, right after waking-up and before breakfast, but just 30 minutes, also in a slower speed. And sometimes, I do the "killer-tours", about 20 kilometers, as fast as I can do.

Date: January 18, 2007 15:23

The Joker Wrote:
> Two miles a day since 1998
>
> I hardly miss one day a year.
>
> Even when I flight long haul, I manage to wake up
> earlier and jog my two miles in the dark. And I
> feel more comfortable when flying.

thats pretty dedicated... i like to have/and enjoy rest days.

Date: January 18, 2007 17:14

i used to see Mick jogging/running around Richmond Park on a regular basis - and let me tell you, he was no slouch.

Even Keith likes a bit of exercise!

Date: January 18, 2007 23:30

(if not a fake )

when & where was this great picture taken ?

Date: January 18, 2007 23:32

Keith must be on 'roids to be leading Lance! smiling smiley

Date: January 18, 2007 23:42

meaning..?

Date: January 18, 2007 23:47

6853 Wrote:
> meaning..?

That it is highly improbable that Keith is leading Lance.

Date: January 18, 2007 23:52

ok, so Lance is a race..

Date: January 18, 2007 23:59

6853 Wrote:
> ok, so Lance is a race..

I'm not into cycling, but I do believe that is Lance Armstrong in the yellow jersey. Someone added Keith's pic to Lance's a couple of months ago, and still has me laughing today. The comment I made before implied that Keith would have to be on drugs to beat Lance.

One of these years, 6853, I'm coming to Iceland to see the Northern Lights!

Date: January 19, 2007 02:04

great u can stay at my place, we have got a big house full of rooms,

u can go to concerts every night:
just came from one ( att, maybe 70 persons) were my daughter was playing,
another band playing tonight included sindri son of bjork,
bjorks mor wasin the "crowd"

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1539
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home