Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith's coda
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 13, 2007 01:49

>> THis gives a nice pedal steel effect. Is this what you are thing about? <<

very possibly, ChrisM - i honestly can't tell from your description, since i don't play, but ...
i hope so! and i'm truly grateful for your kindly interest, because i genuinely crave to know
what that is that he throws in at ends of numbers. if you have the time to check out the clip i posted a link to
(Whole Lotta Shakin from the 1983 set with Jerry Lee Lewis) it's a real clear example
of what i'm trying so ineffectively to describe.

who is Keith "quoting" when he does that? i mean: where do i know it from, besides Keith?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 13, 2007 08:40

I just saw that clip and here is what Keith does: The song is in C so at the end he slides to the 9th fret of the G string which is the 3rd of C (E) then picks the C at the 8th fret of the E string and then sllides down to the 6th fret of the E string which is Bb, the 7th of C. The is a classic blues riff used by countless blues guitarists.

Date: January 13, 2007 11:55

>> The is a classic blues riff used by countless blues guitarists. <<

thank you kindly, ChrisM (and everyone else who's taken an interest)!
anyone feel like mentioning a well-known example or two of someone using it at the end of a number?
someone besides Keith, i mean. and i promise i'll shut up about it soon. :E

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 13, 2007 17:24

Sounds to me like the phrase he plays at the end of the first part of 'You Gotta Move' in Love You Live. (03:09) just before the piano part...

Posted by: ome peet ()
Date: January 13, 2007 17:53

i think you are reffering to 9 chord. that`s the chord the song has to end in completed with the ninth note of the scale of that chord. Keith plays variations with the notes from this 9 chord. For example when a song ends with a c -chord , keith plays a solo with the notes of a c - chord (c e g), but he adds the 'a' to it. Scotty Moore uesd a lot of that.

Re: Keith's codas
Date: January 13, 2007 18:23

>> Sounds to me like the phrase he plays at the end of the first part of
'You Gotta Move' in Love You Live. (03:09) just before the piano part... <<

yep, there it is again! or anyway a real close relative - thanks Z!

>> i think you are referring to 9 chord. ... Scotty Moore used a lot of that. <<

thank you thank you - you're describing something different from what the good ChrisM outlined above, right?
but Scotty Moore might be a good clue to why it sounds so familiar to me.

meanwhile i'm changing the title/first post in this thread - when i started it i thought people would know
the specific "ending comment" i had in mind, since it stands out so much for me as a "trademark Keith thing",
but people have been mentioning so many other cool things he does to close numbers down, wrap them up, tie them off
and/or otherwise finish 'em that it would be a waste of a good thread to focus too much on just this one.
thanks everybody for the insights; carry on and have some more popcorn.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 13, 2007 18:36

Nice thread!!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 13, 2007 19:26

He does this so Charlie will know when to stop drumming along to the click-track.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home