Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
Posted by: keefkid ()
Date: January 12, 2007 17:21

Does anyone know the story behind this song, and the Nanker Phelge credit? It cracks me up ... 'im really really short' lol

Just bought the Out of our Heads UK CD and it is fantastic I haven't listened to old Stones in a very long time.... I absolutely love the version of Sam Cooke's Good Times..

Re: The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 12, 2007 17:27

I used to think it was about Oldham. But then I read the story about London records sending this guy George Sherlock on tour with them once. They thought him funny and wrote this about him. It is s great track.
While the Stones are a superb cover band too, I find "Good Times" one of the few lame covers in the catalogue.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 12, 2007 17:31

"i'm really really sharp", i believe ... seersucker was never the same after that one came out. :E
i find keeping my intake of way-early Stones real high is crucial -
glad you got some, Keefkid! :E

Date: January 12, 2007 17:36

ok sharp, not short LOL

what about the Nanker Phelge credit? i know the face they liked to make but what is the story is it just the whole band or is it mick, keith & andrew credit i cant remember...

Date: January 12, 2007 17:38

Nanker Phelge was the "pen name" for the whole band.
"nanker" was the face; Phelge is the surname of the cat who lived with Keith, Mick and Brian at Edith Grove:
Jimmy Phelge, whose book Nankering With the Stones, is beautiful - you'll love it, Keefkid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-12 17:39 by with sssoul.

Date: January 12, 2007 17:42

ok thanks i had a bit of the story but couldnt quite remenber ... thanks for the book recommendation wssoul, have to get that one...

being a Stones fan is quite expensive with all the discs & books & boots to buy... not to mention ticket prices lol

Date: January 12, 2007 17:56

>> being a Stones fan is quite expensive <<

yeah - just what the grown-ups were afraid of! :E
Jimmy Phelge isn't much of a writer but he sure is a fine storyteller,
and he has such great stories to tell about the Edith Grove days.
i was weeping with laughter every two pages ... here are some online vendors that have it:
in the US: [www.alibris.com] or [www.amazon.com]
in Europe: [www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 13, 2007 09:06

"The Under Assistant West coast Promotion Man was a good-natured jibe at George Sherlock, the London Records promo man who accompanied us on our first American tour. The track is based on Buster Brown's 1960 hit "Fannie Mae", which also inspired the Beach Boys' Help Me Rhonda" - Bill from Rolling With The Stones

If you listen to Fannie Mae from the BBC bootleg, the songs sound very similar. Guess that's why it's a Nanker Phelge credit (perhaps Buster Brown should have received credit, too?)

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 13, 2007 11:38

Too bad Abkco,despite mostly vast improvement with their Stones catalog in 2002, neglected to use the single version of "Under..." on the not-quite-flawless (but essential) 3-cd "Singles Collection" - strangely, it is on the '89 version, with that version's longer ending and minor lyrical variations on the fade...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home