Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Worst stones show ever?
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 11, 2007 15:14

Twick 1, from 2006????

I was there and it rocked!!!!

As others have said, its a matter of opinion and ya can't judge a gig by a boot....

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 11, 2007 15:27

well from listening to boots Leeds 71 sounded awful but I was not there.
Of the concerts I have attended,
I didn't like the first Oakland 89 show at all, too slick and the band seemed a bit bored.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 11, 2007 15:28

ablett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Twick 1, from 2006????
>
> I was there and it rocked!!!!

agree- i consider this show, one of the very best i've attended.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: January 11, 2007 15:52

I have enjoyed all of the shows i've seen, i couldn't say there was a 'worse' show. For me, there is no such thing as a bad stones concert. Some are better than others, but thats it. Looking back, out of the 14 shows i've seen since 1995, the two which are perhaps my least favourite are the first wembley show in 1999, with that awful screw-up from keith on gimme shelter, and the postponed twickenham show in 2003. The only reason i mention the twickenham show is that it was the first time i'd seen them at a seated venue in the UK, and our seats were in the east stand. It was just so far from the stage, and the two guys i was with were not big stones fans, so it was nothing to do with the band. It was still a great show, and we got salt of the earth, but if i had to rank them all, this one would be near the bottom.

And with the first wembley 99 show, again, great show, but i was with my brother and my dad, and my dad didnt really seem to enjoy it that much (he was much more into it last year) which kind of affected my enjoyment. I was more relaxed for the second night, and they changed the setlist a bit as well. So we got bitch and angie. So its about alot more than the band as to how much you enjoy the show.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: January 11, 2007 15:55

>As others have said, its a matter of opinion and ya can't judge a gig by a >boot....

I certainly can...Chords and and notes are heard on the tape, and when they are wrong, they are wrong...

JR

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 11, 2007 16:00

Mr Jimmy Wrote:

>
> And with the first wembley 99 show, again, great
> show, but i was with my brother and my dad, and my
> dad didnt really seem to enjoy it that much (he
> was much more into it last year) which kind of
> affected my enjoyment. I was more relaxed for the
> second night, and they changed the setlist a bit
> as well. So we got bitch and angie. So its about
> alot more than the band as to how much you enjoy
> the show.

I can relate 100% with you about your dad, though for him it was the other way round. He loved the two Twickenham shows in '03 (his first Stones shows despite being a fan and buying Come On on release in 1963!) though he really didn't seem to enjoy the Twickers show he was at last year. He's already told me he may take a rain check on this years. Its a lot of money and although he can afford the show, for some its the principal. We were in the middle tier and the siound wasn't good and he took the viewpoint that he'd all these songs too many times.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 11, 2007 16:12

albop Wrote:
> Amsterdam 2006 is my worst show with the worst
> "Sympathy for the devil" I have heard in concert
> (Keith was off tune").

Easily topped by the 2003 show in that city. The overall feeling I remember form that show, three days after the Vredenburg club gig, is that I desperately wanted to be somewhere else.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 11, 2007 16:12

To add to this negativity...

Of the twenty or so Stones concerts I've seen in and around NYC and Philly in the last 35 years, Philadelphia 1981 was by far the worst. But as people have said, even a bad Stones concert is still fun and worth hearing. Wouldn't you like to be able to go back in time if you could... just to say that you heard them play at all, even if you remember they were bad that day. And the day was not a total waste of time for me anyway, because I made a nice drawing:

By contrast, Philadelphia 1972 was the best concert -- by the Stones or anyone alse -- No drawing from that show.

Posted by: jagbo ()
Date: January 11, 2007 16:16

Very nice drawing!!!

Houston Licks was the worst I attended. (San Antonio Licks one of the best)

I have to listen to Philly 1981 - just to hear how bad it is after all of the nominations!

Date: January 11, 2007 16:18

Agree AdrianL. Outta all the gigs I've been to Twick 1 2006 was one of the very best.....

And Chords and and notes can be wrong on a boot but a gigs also about atmosphere, the vibe, and the experience as a whole. Studying boots for a bum note aint ever gonna be the same.....

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 11, 2007 16:24

July 4 1978 Rich Stadium Buffalo my first Stones show was a big disappointment when I had to sit thru almost an entire Some Girls album show. I think they f**ked the audience by pulling that shit.

Date: January 11, 2007 16:30

Are you saying you'd have prefered Warhorses??????

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 11, 2007 16:42

stone-relics Wrote:
> Several come to mind....West Palm Beach, 69, but
> really wasnt their fault, as it was so cold, the
> instruments wouldnt stay in tune. Twick 1, from
> 2006,

Shoot me anytime for saying it but I was actually there and I thought they were brilliant. Not in my top 10 of Stones shows that I've been to (none on the ABB tour would be) but a gem of a show nonetheless and better than many I've been at on every other tour I've seen since '82.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 11, 2007 16:45

Mr Jimmy Wrote:
>> And with the first wembley 99 show, again, great
> show, but i was with my brother and my dad, and my
> dad didnt really seem to enjoy it that much (he
> was much more into it last year) which kind of
> affected my enjoyment. I was more relaxed for the
> second night, and they changed the setlist a bit
> as well. So we got bitch and angie. So its about
> alot more than the band as to how much you enjoy
> the show.

Oddly enough I enjoyed the first of the two Wembley '99 shows, but thought that on the second night they sounded knackered and phoned it in. Not a bad show by any stretch of the imagination, but the weakest of the 7 shows I saw that year (2 in the US and all 5 in the UK) and the closest I've ever seen the Stones come to having an off night in 41 shows.

Date: January 11, 2007 16:47

No not really, but I don't wanna hear an entire new "concept" album when it first comes out. Look at the setlists. With any music, it takes me a while before I really like something. I have to hear it for a couple years to appreciate it.

If they did that today people would freak. 3 or 4 new songs is plenty. If they played an entire album from 20 years ago today, I could dig that, but not a new album.

Being really excited about seeing them for the first time that was a big downer. Remember a lot of those songs were obscure then. Back in the 70's, no internet, only albums and cassettes. Very little air play.

Posted by: Esperola ()
Date: January 11, 2007 16:49

Hyde Park was not very good.

"Rape, murder, it's just a shot away..."

Date: January 11, 2007 16:50

Totally agree with you.....

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: January 11, 2007 16:58

SARS was bad from where I was. The guitars were so low and muddy sounding I could not believe it. The worst sound I have heard by any band anywhere. I would have felt more comfortable standing ther naked then in my Stones shirt. Lucky for ABB tour so SARS didn't end up being my finale Stones show.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 11, 2007 16:59

Groningen 99 but i like the boot..Cleveland 78 was very good!!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 11, 2007 17:00

Hyde Park is the worst I've ever heard them sound, thoough the worst song I've ever heard them kill is Crazy Mama in '97.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: January 11, 2007 17:02

I had a great time in Nice 2006 but it's not on my top 10...I think they rocked by for the first time there were no new songs for me.

Posted by: Luke33 ()
Date: January 11, 2007 17:04

jamesfdouglas Wrote:
> Hyde Park is the worst I've ever heard them sound

agree to some extent. Some songs lousy, BUT Midnight Rambler & Sympathy are arguably the bands finest performances of these songs....

Remember, a bad sounding show doesn't mean a bad performance..

Date: January 11, 2007 17:06

Well... I kind of meant performance!

Out of tune guitars, out of tune singing. Never heard Rambler from it. Sympathy... must be a matter of taste.

Posted by: Luke33 ()
Date: January 11, 2007 17:19

if you haven't heard Rambler then listen to it...a gem.
I think even Jagger found it their best song from that concert judging from his reactions after the song...

Date: January 11, 2007 17:22

Cool... I'd have to find it to hear it!

winking smiley

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 11, 2007 17:28

Oshawa '79.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: January 11, 2007 17:55

The '81 Philly first show was awful. The second one was considerably better as the band "appeared" sober and straight. Still not nearly as good as other shows later in the tour. The first Philly show was the worst I have heard. I was there for the second show (my initiation to the Stones) and although it was not good in hindsight, at the time it was a blast!

Posted by: bianca ()
Date: January 11, 2007 18:00

seems the trend is that the early shows on the tour are poorer than the later ones. makes total sense i suppose

Date: January 11, 2007 18:01

Mercy Mercy at Hyde Park was a classic. The song has been playing in my head for a week now. It has a "Under My Thumb" feel to it.

The solo in the middle of "I'm Free" is excellent.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 11, 2007 18:18

I'm happy to say that I've never seen a bad Rolling Stones show. All shows were great and I'll hope that I'll see never in my life a disappointed Rolling Stones show. They are simply the Greatest Act on the Stage!!!!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1581
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home