Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones Postage Stamps?
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 5, 2007 03:38

Have they ever been?
I'd sure dig it, if I got some snail mail with Stones related stamps / Briefmarken!!! on it.

did you get some?

[images.google.de]

Re: Stones Postage Stamps?
Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: January 5, 2007 03:45

I don't have any. I bought a few in Austria once and gave them as gifts...

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 5, 2007 04:38

you can take any picture now and make it into a set of US postage stamps...i don't see why we can't use our own stones pics to make our own!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 5, 2007 04:42

little queenie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you can take any picture now and make it into a
> set of US postage stamps...i don't see why we
> can't use our own stones pics to make our own!

Same goes for where I live.
And I asked some leader in the post-service, and....there's no censorship!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 5, 2007 04:47

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> little queenie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > you can take any picture now and make it into a
> > set of US postage stamps...i don't see why we
> > can't use our own stones pics to make our own!
>
>
> Same goes for where I live.
> And I asked some leader in the post-service,
> and....there's no censorship!

wow - awright
now I want some world wide snail mail you winking smiley

Date: January 5, 2007 04:59

open-g Wrote:
> wow - awright
> now I want some world wide snail mail you winking smiley

You're thinking the same as me...LOL

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 5, 2007 09:43

open-g Wrote:
> Have they ever been?

Austria 2003.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: January 5, 2007 10:22

Here in the Netherlands you can also create your own stamps, since 2002. I think it's great, it's a very original present or gesture.

After I finished my internship at an architects office, I sent them my report using stamps with an image of a project I worked during the internship. They didn't know it was possible, so they were very surprised. Here there is no real censorship, but they do not allow commecial or sexually offensive content.

Maybe it is a nice thing for the buy/sell/trade forum, when you send someone something Stones-related...

Jelle

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: January 5, 2007 13:34

There were the Austrian stamps a few years ago and recently there was a set issued in Australia of concert posters which included a Stones poster.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 5, 2007 14:06

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 5, 2007 14:07

and more at:
[store.coolstamps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-05 14:10 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: January 5, 2007 14:19

Exactly, in 2003 during the Licks Tour the Austrian post offered 4 stamps. If some is interested, I still have a few copies...

mail me at sjouke66 at gmail.com

sjouke

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 5, 2007 14:22

To start with, you can't make your own stamps, but you can get PERSONALISED stamps made up by various stamp authorities. What you get is a regular stamp with a stamp-sized coupon joined to it onto which is printed whatever you want, usually your picture. The only item valid for postage is the postage stamp with the country name & value printed upon it, the attached coupon, by itself, is not a postage stamp & not valid for postage.

There are only 5 official postage stamps that have been issued with the Stones on them. There are tons of others that look like postage stamps but are dubious/bogus & are there solely to fleece collectors

Click on the thumbs for larger pix

Official stamps

Australia
This came out last year & is part of a miniature sheet of 10 stamps with illustrations of various Australian Rock Posters. They also come in booklets of 10 self-stick stamps.

Austria
There are 4 stamps issued in 2003,joined together in a miniature sheet. There was also a special 40 licks cd which included the sheet with a special tongue cancellation. All you need to know about this issue is here:

[www.stones.at]

Dubious/bogus/collector rip-offs

Many smaller countries make deals with agencies to help them print & distribute stamps. In most cases the 'stamps' don't even reach the countries involved but are sold through philatelic magazines & stamp dealers, very rarely from the counrties' Post Offices. Countries include the former Soviet Republics, African nations & Carribean islands. There are heaps of these, do a search on ebay for 'Rolling Stones Stamps', & check out this link

[store.coolstamps.com]

Here's a few examples

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: January 5, 2007 15:07

vox12string,

here in the Netherlands you can order 'real' personalized stamps, with the image on the stamp itself. There is a border of some kind, on which the value&country are printed, but within that border the picture is placed. No attached part. Not that it is important, but I thought I'd let you know.

Only one problem at the moment: the border they designed for this stamp is too ugly to use for a Stones-stamp, so we'll have to wait until they've designed a new one...

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 5, 2007 16:03

Didn't know that sluissie, as a serious stamp collector I try to keep aware of what's happening in the rest of the world, but that one escaped me. Here in Australia it's the attached coupon affair.

Date: January 5, 2007 16:05

vox12string, it's like sluissie describes, here in Scandinavia too.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 7, 2007 07:59

speaking of stones postage stamps, and blue lena's site in the stonesplanet.com thread earlier, she's selling merchandise and look what one item is:

[www.cafepress.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 7, 2007 13:10

For a stamp collector a personalized stamp is no value. It is not "official". It may be nice to look at but it is like a copy of an original Mona Lisa, not the same. Real stamps are highly collectible, and if they are made by countries with a real serious stamp policy, like the one made in Austria 2003, and you have it stamped on the day of the release (Firs Day Cover) then you have a real collector's item stamp collector wise. PS. There are countries who make hundreds of different stamps every year, like an industry, and those do not have the same collector's value really. To make it valuable you need to get it into public circulation, and with a limited still public number of stamps.

Bjornulf

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 7, 2007 13:15

Are you collecting stamps too BV?

JumpingKentFlash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1515
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home