Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Quality of Jagger and Richard Songwriting Solo and together
Posted by: guy ()
Date: December 21, 2006 18:49

Their recent output has produced some wonderful melodies and rocking songs, my top songs are:

Blue
Old Habits Die Hard
Laugh I Nearly Died
This Place is Empty
Biggest Mistake
Let Me Down Slow
Too Far Gone
Oh No Not You Again
Streets Of Love
Under The Radar

love love love radar, way it speeds up, so punky,this place is empty, really lovely melody and cheeky witty words, blue, what a great build, the best! let me down slow bowls you along! Rolling Stones in the 21st century REALLY REALLY GREAT!!!

Re: Quality of Jagger and Richard Songwriting Solo and together
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 21, 2006 18:59

Do they have any plans to work with kd lang again?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 21, 2006 19:07

Seperately...for every 10 songs the each can write; 3 at best are good.

When together...that number rises to maybe 5-6.

Mick by himself can get sappy and too pop with average lyrics and music.
Keith by himself can have awful/very little lyrics and pretty good rhythms and music. When these guys together they put the best of what they got--the outcome are very strong songs. Their weaknesses, when together, result in above average results.

A Bigger Bang was a fantastic outlet for these men who still write songs in their 60's. Another Mick solo album at this point and in the next coming years could be really great or really bad. He could wake up and realize that stronger more grounded material like stuff from ABB works better than slick, over produced radio material from "Goddess." Keith on the other hand I don't think has another solo disk in him that is worth enjoying. Unless he collaborates HEAVILY with Waddy Watchel or someone else--the songs could be riff heavy yet weak and unstiumulating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-21 19:08 by Justin.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 21, 2006 20:08

There's only two songs I reeeeeally like (in a "Wooh-hoo STOOOONES!!!! kind of way) from '05.

Rain Fall Down & Under the Radar

This doesn't mean I DISlike the rest, but to me, those songs real Stones songs. Kind of like Saint of Me & Out of Control vs the rest of BTB.

The best entire disc since Tattoo You, overall, is Wandering Spirit.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 21, 2006 21:42

Except for TPIE those are all Jagger tunes.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 21, 2006 22:17

>> Except for TPIE those are all Jagger tunes. <<

interesting - feel like talking about why you think so? about the Stones tracks, i mean, not Mick's extracurricular stuff.
Keith's talked about coming up with the "descending chorus melody" to Let Me Down Slow,
and about collaborating on Oh No Not You again. and Under the Radar sure sounds like a collaboration to me.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 21, 2006 23:51

Nah, Under the Radar is Mick all the way.
He writes in open G too.
He wrote Brown Sugar.

Mick is a genius, and I think a lot of fans are almost afraid to give him the credit he deserves. Don't wanna seem faggy, so they over-'woof' it up for Keith.

Date: December 22, 2006 00:01

>> Don't wanna seem faggy, so they over-'woof' it up for Keith. <<

i am cognizant that Mick writes in open g, and Under the Radar sounds like a collaboration to me anyway,
and i'm still interested in Chelsea's perceptions of those numbers -
and i don't know what "seeming faggy" has to do with any of this.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: December 22, 2006 04:32

Rough Justice
This place is Empty
Infamy
It Wont Take Long
She Saw Me Coming
Let Me Down Slow
Dangerous Beauty

All Clearly written by Mick Jagger.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: December 22, 2006 06:02

god give me everything... is excellent..not sure why it gets no mention..

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: December 22, 2006 11:43

JamesFDouglas speaks truth. What Keith has generally brought to the Stones are the chorus hooks and his SOUND. All the rest is Jagger filling in the blanks. Keith as a lyricist beyond a line or two... I just can never picture him with a pad and paper... ever! I'd bet a lot of Keith's full lyrics have gone to tape before they were ever written down and he'd just scat through it over and over again until he really narrowed it down and got good feel if not always much narrative coherence.

Tommy

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 22, 2006 12:00

It's better songs on Jaggers solo-albums than on Richards..IMPO

2 1 2 0

Date: December 22, 2006 18:59

smile: from4tillate, you might find this page enlightening: [www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 22, 2006 19:16

Slimharpo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rough Justice
> This place is Empty
> Infamy
> It Wont Take Long
> She Saw Me Coming
> Let Me Down Slow
> Dangerous Beauty
>
> All Clearly written by Mick Jagger.

Sarcasm aside, most of them actually ARE
Most notably the last four and probably part of the first one.
Just because a song has a 'riff' doesnt mean its written by Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-22 19:17 by Gazza.

Date: December 22, 2006 19:19

sarcasm aside: care to elaborate, Gazza?
smile: just because a song has a lyric doesn't mean it's "written by Mick". :E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-22 19:35 by with sssoul.

Date: December 22, 2006 19:29

schillid Wrote:
> Do they have any plans to work with kd lang again?

Do you have any plans to write jokes of this quality again? Please do! Hahah!

you can't catch me!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: December 22, 2006 20:59

I don't know anything that others don't know, but I'll speak up here anyway

It Won't Take Long has a VERY keith-ish feel to me (and lyrically as well in places). I'd say he gets primary credit for this song

I'd bet he had a hand in rough justice and she saw me coming also

As to dangerous beauty and let me down slow i'd say primarily jagger, but with input from keith

Date: December 22, 2006 21:37

thanks Texas Fan - it's very cool that you're saying plainly that this is how these numbers sound to you,
not expressing it as if it were some kind of sure fact.

i do know that the Stones have stated that Rough Justice is one of the numbers that Keith brought to the sessions;
that Let Me Down Slow is Mick's except for the "descending chorus melody", which Keith came up with;
that Oh No Not You Again is a collaborative effort.

to me She Saw Me Coming and Under the Radar both sound like fully-fledged collaborations -
by which i mean both the music and the lyrics sound to me like both Twins were involved;
i hear both of them in It Won't Take Long as well.

"I don't think people really know or care that much about what really goes on.
I don't think people care about the mechanics of songwriting, particularly.
So they think, Oh, well, Mick must write all the lyrics, and Keith writes all the tunes,
which might have been true 30 years ago, but it really isn't true now. But that doesn't worry me very much.
Keith might be underappreciated as a lyric writer. I don't think it worries him."
- Mick Jagger, 1995 (from [www.timeisonourside.com])

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 22, 2006 22:58

The Notorious NIK Wrote:
> Do you have any plans to write jokes of this
> quality again? Please do! Hahah!

I got a million of 'em...

Take my wife... please!

Date: December 23, 2006 02:47

Until Keith came out and said what he wrote all the experts on this board said Rough Justice, in particular lyrics were all Mick. Even after keith said he came up with the descending chorus melody on "let Me down Slow" The ex[erts on this board said it was all Mick. Never Mind that Keith introduced "She Saw Me Coming" plus Mick doesn't play rhythm guitar, the experts on there boards said it was all Mick. Never mind the riff on "It Won't Take Long" sounds like Keith maybe from "Lowdown." So what if "Dangerous Beauty" is basically "You Got Me Rocking Now." Must all be Mick! I give up.

Look "Rain Fall Down" "Neo Con" "Laugh I Nearly Died" and "Streets of Love" must be Mick, but a lot of that other stuff I'm not so sure of. So what if the acoustic guitar on "Biggest Mistake" sounds like "Dead Flowers." I'd like to know whay everyone is so sure it was all Mick. I imagine they banged out a lot together in the studio.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 23, 2006 04:02

The sum is more than the parts. I think everybody (including MJ and KR) knows this.

Date: December 23, 2006 04:53

Slimharpo Wrote:
> Until Keith came out and said what he wrote all
> the experts on this board said Rough Justice, in
> particular lyrics were all Mick. Even after keith
> said he came up with the descending chorus melody
> on "let Me down Slow" The ex[erts on this board
> said it was all Mick. Never Mind that Keith
> introduced "She Saw Me Coming" plus Mick doesn't
> play rhythm guitar, the experts on there boards
> said it was all Mick. Never mind the riff on "It
> Won't Take Long" sounds like Keith maybe from
> "Lowdown." So what if "Dangerous Beauty" is
> basically "You Got Me Rocking Now." Must all be
> Mick! I give up.
>
> Look "Rain Fall Down" "Neo Con" "Laugh I Nearly
> Died" and "Streets of Love" must be Mick,

an absolutely incredible post. you go from insulting everyone who dares to attribute certain songs to a certain twin, to doing the same exact thing yourself.

pretty "slim" pickins' for postin', methinks . . .

you can't catch me!

Date: December 23, 2006 05:12

No it's not that. It's based on interviews. Mick said he demoed "Laugh I Nearly Died" and "Rain Fall Down." I read an interview where Keith said Mick came up with the riff to "Rain Fall Down." I also read an interview where Keith referred to "Neocon" as Mick's song. It's not that I'm making inferences, it's based on interviews that they didn't dispute. Show me where Kieth or Mick says they essentially wrote a song and I'll believe it, although they have contradicted each other in the past.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 23, 2006 13:54

stoned_in_dc Wrote:
> god give me everything... is excellent..not sure
> why it gets no mention..

Maybe beacuase its co-written with Mr Krawitz.

Dangerous Beauty has a typical Jagger-riff, dont ya think winking smiley?

Date: December 23, 2006 14:17

>> I also read an interview where Keith referred to "Neocon" as Mick's song <<

do you mean the music as well as the lyrics? and if so, do you remember where you saw/heard the interview?
i know they've both publicly clarified that the words to Neocon are Mick's, but i don't recall
either of them saying anything about the music, and i'm curious.

saying why we feel some number might be more one Twin's work than the other's can be interesting,
but i too find it pretty baffling when people make authoritative statements about the songwriting
unless they're basing it on something that one or both of the Twins has stated, or on something mighty concrete
like a demo version or something. in the case of ABB, they've both stated that most of the numbers are collaborations,
and i don't know if too many of us know enough about the way they work to state authoritatively that that's not so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-23 15:07 by with sssoul.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 23, 2006 16:01

Slimharpo Wrote:
> Rough Justice
> This place is Empty
> Infamy
> It Wont Take Long
> She Saw Me Coming
> Let Me Down Slow
> Dangerous Beauty
>
> All Clearly written by Mick Jagger.

Not really. Rough Justice is Keith. They said that in an interview. I think it's Mick's lyrics though. It Won't Take Long sounds like a Keith song and again a Mick text. Infamy is Keith (Stated in an interview). She Saw Me Coming is probably mostly Mick with a Keith input here and there. This Place Is Empty is by Keith (Also stated in an interview). Let Me Down Slow sounds like pure Mick. Dangerous Beauty sounds like a collaboration with a Mick text. RJ, TPIE and Infamy are Keith (Check TimeIsOnOurSide.com ---> Keith: "The songs I laid on Mick was This Place is Empty, Infamy and Rough Justice"). Laugh I Nearly Died is Mick for sure, but I would think that Keith came up with the "Been traveling far and wide..." choir. Sure sounds like something he could come up with. Streets Of Love is Mick and so is Biggest Mistake. They both sound like something from Alfie. Biggest Mistake in particular. Check the ABB liner notes and you will also see a certain Dave Stewart under the thank you notes. Sweet Neocon is Mick but I'm not sure the music is him entirely. The text is, as with Dangerous Beauty, probably Mick's since Keith said that he wasn't keen on the political text idea. Back Of My Hand sounds like a very cool collaboration (That song and RJ are the best on ABB IMO). Under The Radar sounds like a Mick rocker. We Don't Wanna Go Home sounds like a collaboration. Same with Oh No Not You Again and Driving Too Fast. Look What The Cat Dragged In sounds like Mick with much input from Keith and a little input from Ronnie.

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-23 16:10 by JumpingKentFlash.

Date: December 23, 2006 17:11

yea well that whole post is obviously sarcastic. Keith said he came up with the riff and some barnyard lyrics for Rogh Justice as a tribute to Eilie Dixon's "Little Red Rooster."

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 23, 2006 17:16

Biggest Mistake, I'd argue is Keith and Mick together. Keith's acoustic guitar, backing vocals and lyrics about drinking on the couch would seem to indicate this. There is some thematic similarity to recent Mick songs, but Keith's fingerprints are all over that one.

Oh No Not You Again was a title Mick and Dave Stewart jotted down around the time of Wandering Spirit. Dave finished the song for his Greetings From the Gutter album without Mick's input. That album also includes a rewrite of She's the Boss called Jealousy with Mick on backing vocals. A non-LP B-side was the first version of The Blind Leading the Blind with completely different lyrics. Just as Mick returned to the latter for Alfie, he revisited ONNYA with Keith and gave a nod to Dave Stewart in the acknowledgements. If there are any GITD songs on ABB, I'd guess they would be Rain Fall Down and Streets of Love...the ones Matt Clifford played on.

Date: December 23, 2006 17:17

Keith came up with the riff to "Street Fighting Man" a polictical song, but Keith doesn't mind as long as it's somewhat transparent and that's the case with dangerous Beauty. It sounds like an S & M song at first.

Mick came up with the slide guitar riff and "Back of My Hand" title. Keith said he had some ideas about where the song would go or how it should go such as a prison song or early blues.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 23, 2006 18:07

Slimharpo Wrote:
> Keith doesn't mind as
> long as it's somewhat transparent and that's the
> case with dangerous Beauty. It sounds like an S &
> M song at first.

Yeah. There's a reason to the "beauty" part. Having seen Lyndie England that's surely not the case.

Cool thing about the double A side single SOL/RJ is that it's one of pure Mick (SOL) and one of pure Keith (RJ). That's one of the best singles this decade IMO. Just a bit sad that they didn't do a RJ/BOMH single. That would have been the single of the millenium so far.

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-23 18:11 by JumpingKentFlash.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1521
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home