Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rough Justice - live?
Posted by: Des ()
Date: December 5, 2006 21:18

The first time I heard it I played it over and over. Bought the CD and play it almost daily. I have worked it into a scene from my screen play, great action shot of Denzel blasting his way through a bank wall with a huge gun. So we know I like the song.

When I saw it played in an arena it sort of 'blended' into a mush despite good sound. Again watching it on the superbowl I though this just does not translate into a great Stones 'live' song. Then I see they drop it from the second sweep of NA.

So my question is for those that saw this song in a stadium. Did it work well in that type of venue.

Re: Rough Justice - live?
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: December 5, 2006 21:20

I think it works well in both stadiums and arenas. A great song on the record, and a great song live IMO.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 5, 2006 21:21

As with most songs the Stones play I don't think how the song work depended so much on the venue as with the band itself. I think it sounded great earlier in the tour but got boring as it progressed as the band no longer gave it the same sort of kick and attitude the song needed to work. Thankfully they dropped it by the time they played Dodger Stadium though I thought it was a great song early on.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: December 5, 2006 21:25

I'd get Denzel's opinion first

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 5, 2006 21:25

I don't think there has been one live performance of it that didn't kick the ass of the studio version. The studio version is tight and has got everything going right. Somehow the live versions have been a little thin and at times uninspired.

I frankly didn't enjoy any of the live versions from ABB this tour. Even "Oh No Not You Again" but that's because I don't enjoy the song too much anyway.

The only live version of RJ I've seen that was worth a damn was the one that somone posted on here a while back from a broadcast for the NFL season. Don't know when it was from...but it was the first time the song jumped up and hit me.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 5, 2006 21:26

Same thing happened to "Love is Strong" and "Anybody Seen..."

Most of there music past Tattoo You is throwaway after it's radio life has died. Their newer songs in their setlists roughly reflect their single releases. There are exceptions, as some Voodoo & Bridges cuts re-surface (You Got Me Rocking and Out of Control are their latter-day champs).

I doublt anything off ABB will be played ever again, but then, there are one or two Steel Wheels songs that resurface like an ugly ex-girlfriend.

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: December 6, 2006 01:22

i think it worked well on the bstage

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 6, 2006 01:30

bad on album - worse live. it took almost 100 shows for the stones to come to terms with that reality....

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 6, 2006 01:36

One could not hear Jagger..so loud we was singing along!!

Date: December 6, 2006 02:03

The best was January 15th (in an arena,main stage) - ten shows this tour and it was played at 8 of them.That was about six times too many for me.It Won't Take Long (with more repetition) and Under The Radar would have been nice alternatives.

Date: December 6, 2006 02:07

jamesfdouglas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
There are exceptions, as some Voodoo &
> Bridges cuts re-surface (You Got Me Rocking and
> Out of Control are their latter-day champs).

I would not refer to You Got Me Rocking as a "latter-day champ".I consider I Go Wild to be much better,less perfunctory.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: December 6, 2006 02:17

I enjoyed Rough Justice in Paris and London. Much like You got me rocking, I think it is really enjoyable on the spot - but not on boot, you got to be there to enjoy those really basic kicks.

That been said, I think You got me rocking studio is very overlooked on IORR. The arrangement is very sharp I think, with the multi-layer guitar sound in the beginning. Ronnie's solo by the end is a killer. The massive drum sound, with only very low booms and the sharp cymbal work is very clever and efficient. Only Jagger's halterophilic vocals ruin it for me...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 6, 2006 03:59

love the super bowl version

Date: December 6, 2006 04:07

The Worst. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it works well in both stadiums and arenas.
> A great song on the record, and a great song live
> IMO.

IYYO. (in your opinion only)

tod is right as rain on this one . . .

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 6, 2006 10:40

RJ has taken some time to get good live. First happened on consecutive plays on the Euro tour this year. I love the ragged USA versions too though.

JumpingKentFlash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home