Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The problem with the Ronnie Wood renaissance . . .
Date: December 5, 2006 06:35

Listen: I'm was as blown away by Ronnie "renaissance" Wood's rebirth in 2006 as the next guy. To mention one particular instance, the difference between his playing at the Portland show in November of '05 and the Dodger Stadium show just over a year later was incredible. (Come to think of it, did he even play in Portland?) All Down the Line was played at both shows; let me tell you, the addition of some phenomenal slide guitar in LA made those two renditions sound like different songs altogether.

But at the same time, I have a lament. You see, while we fans have certainly gained some great playing from the Woodman, we've lost something far greater.

Namely, the clownish Ronnie that we all know and love!

Remember back in the good ole days when we didn't even know if Ronnie would play a note all night?

That may be so, but we knew sure knew one thing: Ronnie would be up there chain smoking, smiling, laughing, talking to people in the audience, waving, and yes . . .GRIMACING . . . like no other.

To be honest, I can't decide which Woodman I prefer. I only know which one I continue to be in my bathroom mirror while blasting some recent boots . . .

(oh god, did i say that out loud?)

Re: The problem with the Ronnie Wood renaissance . . .
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 5, 2006 06:44

well, didnt RW do a lot of muggging/clowning around and decent sounding gituar from 75-82?

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: December 5, 2006 07:32

"Playing" Ronnie is better than "posing" Ronnie.

Date: December 5, 2006 08:50

ryanpow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well, didnt RW do a lot of muggging/clowning
> around and decent sounding gituar from 75-82?

yep; but it seems that that period of the "golden mean" is no more. . .

you can't catch me!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 5, 2006 11:09

There's a happy medium somewhere...but happy mediums have nver been the Stones' thing really.

Same thing applies to Keith too. It's that balance between the playing and the visual showmanship that's been a talking point over most recent tours isn't it.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: December 5, 2006 11:18

he was waving and interacting with the audience over the summer in europe and in the fall in the US...not as much smoking though

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 5, 2006 14:43

The Notorious NIK Wrote:
> Listen: I'm was as blown away by Ronnie
> "renaissance" Wood's rebirth in 2006 as the next
> guy. To mention one particular instance, the
> difference between his playing at the Portland
> show in November of '05 and the Dodger Stadium
> show just over a year later was incredible. (Come
> to think of it, did he even play in Portland?) All
> Down the Line was played at both shows; let me
> tell you, the addition of some phenomenal slide
> guitar in LA made those two renditions sound like
> different songs altogether.
>
> But at the same time, I have a lament. You see,
> while we fans have certainly gained some great
> playing from the Woodman, we've lost something far
> greater.
>
> Namely, the clownish Ronnie that we all know and
> love!
>
> Remember back in the good ole days when we didn't
> even know if Ronnie would play a note all night?
>
> That may be so, but we knew sure knew one thing:
> Ronnie would be up there chain smoking, smiling,
> laughing, talking to people in the audience,
> waving, and yes . . .GRIMACING . . . like no
> other.
>
> To be honest, I can't decide which Woodman I
> prefer. I only know which one I continue to be in
> my bathroom mirror while blasting some recent
> boots . . .
>
> (oh god, did i say that out loud?)

Funny point and I see your argument. However check out how lame his clowning is on the DVD from Bangalore 2003.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: December 5, 2006 14:55

The Notorious NIK Wrote:

> (oh god, did i say that out loud?)

Don't worry, you didn't.

Jelle

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 5, 2006 15:38

If I want to see someone clowning around, I go to the circus - it's cheaper.
If I want to see someone making grimaces, I go to see a comedian - it's cheaper.
If I want to see someone laughing, I make a great joke - it's cheaper.
If I want to see someone smoking, I go to the local pub - it's cheaper.
If I want to see someone talking to the audience, I go to a congress - it's....

But if I want to hear my favourite music with loud, great, rough'n'ready guitars I go to see the Stones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 15:39 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 5, 2006 15:42

can't argue with that ;^)

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 5, 2006 15:55

Actually, this is an interesting point with me...

One of my lasting memories from the 81 tour, and the memories do seem to be fading, is that of one Ronnie Wood truly playing guitar while acting the mad man.
He was constantly on the move, picking up everything that was thrown at him, and checking everyone and everything out. At one point, someone threw a homemade banner on to the stage wing, and he threw it over his head and wore it like a Halloween ghost, STILL PLAYING.

Really, I loved it.

He sounds great now. I definitely noticed the new serious Ronnie in Louisville, and kinda missed the old.

God Bless Ron Wood.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 5, 2006 16:04

No way I'm missing the clownish Ronnie... the serious Ronnie kicks some serious ass, and just shuts all the naysayers up! With Ronnie playing properly, we've finally got back the band we love so much! I hope he's keeping this up also next summer, if hopefully they're touring.

Ronnie be good!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 5, 2006 18:12

I'd rather that he stop mucking about and play his guitar.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: December 5, 2006 18:21

Spud Wrote:
> There's a happy medium somewhere...but happy
> mediums have nver been the Stones' thing really.
>
> Same thing applies to Keith too. It's that balance
> between the playing and the visual showmanship
> that's been a talking point over most recent tours
> isn't it.

You probably hit the nail on the head there - with Keef more dedicated to "showbizz" ....someone else has to do "the dirty work" - eg actually play the damn songs onstage.

Keef for whatever reasons - necessity perhaps (arthritis?) or just caught in the recognition he's finally recieving by the most part of the audience - is playing more of a "star" onstage these days and so more of the guitar work has filtered to the other side of Mick, eg Ronnie ;-)

Well, that's my take on it

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 5, 2006 19:20

Good post, Kurt.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 5, 2006 19:31

Yeah that's what always pushed me initially to like Ronnie was his silliness but although he's been down to business as of late--I think that's more of a lasting and better version of Ronnie. We could enjoy Ronnie posing and having fun but what good is that when you're listening to a recording or watching a DVD? I'd rather have Ronnie on record playing his ass off and sounding great.

If anything, Keith has picked up the old Ronnie bug and does more of the posing these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 19:33 by Justin.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: December 5, 2006 19:35

Good Point...

All you have to do is put on the London show of the 40 Licks DVD Box set and watch the first song "BROWN SUGAR"...everytime the camera is on Ronnie he is not playing the guitar...now this is a song that has at least three guitar tracks possibly four on the record...so you need to be playing.

Yes..his playing is soo much better...but I do miss his mugging and clowning around...

Sometimes I feel like Jagger puts tape on the floor of the stage and tells Ronnie...don't cross that line.

PECMAN

Date: December 5, 2006 20:01

Pecman Wrote:
> Good Point...
>
> All you have to do is put on the London show of
> the 40 Licks DVD Box set and watch the first song
> "BROWN SUGAR"...everytime the camera is on Ronnie
> he is not playing the guitar...now this is a song
> that has at least three guitar tracks possibly
> four on the record...so you need to be playing.
>
> Yes..his playing is soo much better...but I do
> miss his mugging and clowning around...
>
> Sometimes I feel like Jagger puts tape on the
> floor of the stage and tells Ronnie...don't cross
> that line.
>
> PECMAN

Haha yeah...I do sense that. While Keith is Ronnie's "father" figure on stage...and looks over Ronnie's playing; Mick has definitely been the unofficial "mother" figure to Ronnie lately for the reasons you've mentioned.

I think it started during Licks when Mick was the pulling force for Ronnie to get off the drinking. Since then, Mick has always kept an eye out for Ronnie...supporting his solos and giving him more confidence and credit on stage.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 5, 2006 20:12

Ronnie was on fire in Foxboro this September. The best I ever heard him play. Screw the goofing around, and play Ronnie, play.

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: December 5, 2006 20:20

IMO Ronnie carried She Was Hot,She's So Cold,and Little T and A,just listen to his rythmn,he is holding it down while Keith Chuck Berries away,it sounds great but without Woodie no songs.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: December 5, 2006 21:52

Also remember that Ronnie has experienced some terrible life events this year...Chrissie committing suicide, rehab and of course his brother Art. Unfortunately, sometimes as we get older, life gets more serious. It's not always as easy to be so happy-go-lucky as it was in younger care-free days.

I hope next time around things will be brighter in his life and he'll be able to smile and have fun again AND play. His antics are a major part of the stage show. I loved him running around the entire stage in 'Let's Spend The Night Together' as Keith watches him fly by with a look of "Well...that's Ronnie." I notice he doesn't try to jump on Mick's back any more! THAT was nipped in the bud!

I almost HATE watching 'Ladies And Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones' with everyone on stage--including Mick Taylor--standing like manniquins with the only movement being Mick and sometimes Keith. The playing may have been better then--and Mick more exciting--but the whole stage show is MUCH more entertaining now with Ronnie as well as Lisa and Darryl. You can't really argue that point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 21:54 by Jack Knife.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 5, 2006 21:55

i think Nikki didn't really start this thread to be a serious debate. he's pulling everyone's leg.

Date: December 5, 2006 21:57

StonesTod Wrote:
> i think Nikki didn't really start this thread to
> be a serious debate. he's pulling everyone's leg.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: December 5, 2006 22:44

During the tour, Ronnie got better and better. And, there was less clowning around. Whether they are connected, I do not know. But, the fact is, I have not seen him ever play this good with the stones; particularly the two shows I saw in 2006. Now, I can really say I saw Ronnie like he was on the Faces alblums I love.

Thank you Ronnie!!! You are truly one of the greatest guitarists ever!!!

Posted by: Bob05 ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:08

He certainly is not.
But we still love him.

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:45

I have recording from the Detroit show I saw in 2002 where Ronnie stood stock-still, centerstage, scarcely acknowledging the audience, entirely focused on his guitar and played like a man possessed. He was nearly that good at the other LICKs shows I saw though I do understand he began f-cking up again by the time he got to Europe.

Posted by: nikki bong ()
Date: September 10, 2007 05:50

he seemed to find a happy medium this summer -- a good amount of clowning, and some pretty damn good playing.

oh yeah, and we made eye contact in nijmegen, which means i can die a happy man . . .

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: September 10, 2007 06:00

Ronnie was awesome this Summer and he carried the band. If he had been his old self I doubt the tour could have continued. Ronnie was the one sending out the signals to the other band members this Summer. He was on fire!!!!

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 10, 2007 06:05

The proud look on his face and in his posture in the IORR home page photo says it all. He's risen and he likes it. Let's hope for more shows at some point so he can take it from there...

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 10, 2007 07:51

Sad to see Ron at a Foxboro show during Licks NOT playing, but mugging, gesturing, etc - as a fan of the guy's music it was disheartening. I always thought he could pull it together if he dealt w/ his addictions, and I'm very glad at recent reports (and activities like starting Wooden Records) that he's focused and sounding like himself.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home