Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: New York Dolls
Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: December 4, 2006 20:36

One Of The 10 Greatest Shows I've Ever Seen--But Where Was Brian Koonin? Anybody Know?

Saw the New York Dolls in Charleston, S. C., last week and it was one of the ten best shows I've ever seen in my life...and I've seen hundreds and hundreds. Keith once said that the greatest rock 'n roll band in the world varies from night to night. Well, I can now honestly say that any night the Dolls are playing, they ARE the greatest rock 'n roll band in the world. Period. What an amazing show. The last show that I saw that was as exciting as this one was the Rolling Stones No Security Tour in Charlotte in '99. This show was better than the Stones shows I saw in 2002 and 2005. Steve Conte is my new favorite guitarist...and a wonderful, friendly guy. The place was PACKED with people from their teens to their early sixties. And the place was wild! So many people knew the songs that it blew me away. In Charleston, South Carolina?! A one horse-and-carriage town!

I met the band afterwards and had my picture taken with Sylvain Sylvain (also a sweetheart) and Steve Conte. It was one of the greatest thrills of my life...up there with meeting Ronnie Wood (though I had already met David Johansen in the Eighties as "Buster Poindexter." He looked great, by the way. Much better than on the Dolls new DVD). But I realized afterwards that Brian Koonin, the Dolls keyboardist, wasn't there and in fact hasn't played any of the shows on this tour. Anyone know why?

If you missed the Dolls this time....DON'T miss them the next time. You will be placing their live show up there with the Stones, I promise you.

Oh, and P. S. to David Fricke...I hope that ROLLING STONE will be really radical this year and name the Dolls 'One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This' album of the year. No album this year deserves it more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-04 23:07 by bv.

Re: OT: New York Dolls--One Of The 10 Greatest Shows I've Ever Seen--But Where Was Brian Koonin? Anybody Know?
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 4, 2006 21:01

with bands like the Dolls.......part of me wanted them to get their just due and hit the big time....but the fan in me is glad to be able to see what's left of em in a small club

Re: OT: New York Dolls--One Of The 10 Greatest Shows I've Ever Seen--But Where Was Brian Koonin? Anybody Know?
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: December 4, 2006 22:45

Saw them last Friday in STL and they were AWESOME!!! And they are really nice guys, especially Syl who is about as genuinely nice a person as Ive ever met (especially for being a celeb.) The Supersuckers were great (have been all 12 times Ive seen them) but the Chesterfield Kings blew me away!! Have been a big since their "Lets Get Stoned" cd ( which ALL of you need to buy ASAP!!) but seeing them live for the 1st time was also amazing. What a performance by Greg Prevost!!

Re: OT: New York Dolls
Date: December 4, 2006 23:30

Sorry, Bjornulf about the long "headline."

But does anyone know why Brian Koonin appears to have left the Dolls? He's been with David Johansen forever. It is a MUCH more rocking band without the keyboards though. Really out-front loud guitars, like the best Rolling Stones shows. I have absolutely nothing against Chuck Leavell, unlike a lot of fans seem to, but it was nice to hear a band not depend on a tinkling piano for the intros and fills--it was all guitars.

But I liked Brian Koonin's keyboards on the new album and the 'Morrissy Presents The Return Of The New York Dolls' DVD...

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: December 4, 2006 23:31

This was an awesome tour. The Dolls were really good at the gig I saw in Cleveland... but its the SUPERSUCKERS that steal every show they play.

the best American band in the last 20 years is the Supersuckers, do yourselves a favor and see them

Date: December 5, 2006 02:14

I respectfully--and completely--disagree. The Supersuckers sounded to me and to everyone that I was with like yet another variation of Social Distortion (yawn). More punkabilly and not very original punkabilly at that. I bought one of their albums and it bored me to tears...same stuff that's been done a million times by a million different bands. In contrast, The Dolls were and are truly unique. They don't sound exactly like anyone else and no one else comes even close to sounding like them. Same as the Rolling Stones. And the Supersuckers certainly came no where NEAR to stealing the show when I saw them, nor any show for that matter from what I've heard from Dolls fans everywhere who attended the shows.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 5, 2006 02:22

Jack Knife, I walso went to see them. In Atlanta. I was so high on the new album etc. And I had heard that they were relaly rocking. But I have to admit they just were not that good. I was somehow bored. And I LOVE the Dolls.
But I have to agree w/you re. Supersucker - they suck.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 5, 2006 02:42

I saw them in Providence , RI on 11 / 21 , is may be sacriligious , but I saw the Stones in AC on 11 / 17 and enjoyed the New York Dolls show better . What a fantastic show 5 bands gut wrenching R & R and extremely loud . I of course was standing 6 ' from the stage .

Date: December 5, 2006 04:31

Chelsea Drugtore--I'm really sorry to hear that. I've seen a good bit of video footage of the Atlanta show and it looked like everyone was really going crazy and into the Dolls. I really wanted to see them in Atlanta but it was the VERY NEXT NIGHT after Charleston. They were just so perfectly on the night I saw them and were so enthusiastic and happy and the crowd responded in kind. I can tell you that it APPEARED that Syl and Steve were drinking pretty freely after the show and were up pretty late. They may have been a little tired...and you too perhaps?

I wish you'd had the same experience I had. It was a real "Stones" feeling in the guts kind of show for me. Ya'll know the one I mean. There's nothin' like it.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: December 5, 2006 05:29

love the dolls,saw em in nj last year.great show,but not even in the same leauge as stones.

john scialfa

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 5, 2006 05:50

"love the dolls,saw em in nj last year.great show,but not even in the same leauge as stones."

Nah but even a mediocre band in a club is usually better than the greatest band in an arena or stadium. Actually the Dolls sound like more of a rock n roll band than the Stones and I would even put the first Dolls album head and shoulders above... Well I think I will just stop right there!

Seen the Dolls twice, it was great! You can actually get both those shows on Dime, Sunset Junction and Tower Records. Supersuckers are also a great live band, and La Mano Cornudo is a great CD (Don't really have close to everything though)

Bass player Sammi Yaffa of the Dolls also has a great mostly acoustic outfit called Mad Juana that is worth checking out. Not even close to rock n roll but very unique.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 5, 2006 06:48

I saw the Dolls last week in Atlanta and they totally rocked the house. I attended the show w/five others and everyone thought it was a sensational concert. If you were bored at that show, it wasn't the band's fault imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 08:02 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: December 5, 2006 18:22

DrPete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And they are really nice guys,
> especially Syl who is about as genuinely nice a
> person as Ive ever met (especially for being a
> celeb.)

I had the pleasure of hanging out a little bit with Syl earlier this year at a private event that the Dolls were hired to play. What a great guy - he is so personable that I felt as if I was hanging out with a really funny friend that I've known for a long time, rather than someone who for all intents and purposes, I was conversing with for the very first time.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: December 5, 2006 18:59

I've heard such comments about Sylvain for years, just the most charming guy, I love that band, they are certainly one of the greatest rock n roll bands of all time, lets hope their return lasts.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 5, 2006 20:21

heard you rat-bastids are dooin ok down there

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1975
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home