Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best "@#$%&-ups"...
Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: November 18, 2006 12:45

For a band like the Rolling Stones, well, actually for every touring band it's not possible to play without mistakes, smaller and bigger ones (if you really play live!). Maybe we can make a list here with the very "best" or funniest mistakes, they've done in the last 150 years:

Here are my suggestions:
- Happy in Toronto 2003: Keith losses the plot of the text, but improvises a bit and gets back to the right way.

- Love Is Strong in Toronto, Clubshow (again!) 1994: The drums begin not to the correct time, so they have to start again

- Brown Sugar in Boston, Foxborro 2002 (first stadiumshow of Licks): Keith plays the first riff of BS wrong and has to start again :-)) That's a tourstart!!

- Brown Sugar in Hannover 1998: Mick sings in the FIRST verse: drums beatin'...English blood runs hot
(In the same show, Mick welcomes the audience with "Hello Bremen", which is 300 km away)

...to be completed

Re: Best "@#$%&-ups"...
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 18, 2006 13:01

Gimme Shelter Perth 1973 - Charlie's drumming.

Let's Spend The Night Together from Knebworth 1976 - a complete disaster!

She's So Cold Wembley 1982.

Re: Best "fvck-ups"...
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 18, 2006 13:07

We've never played an intro to Honky Tonk Women live the way it is on the record. That's Jimmy playing the cowbell and either he comes in wrong or I come in wrong - but Keith comes in right, which makes the whole thing right. It's one of those things that musicologists could sit around analyzing for years. It's actually a mistake, but from my point of view, it works.
- Charlie Watts, 2003, quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 18, 2006 13:12

"It's Only Satisfaction" - Philadelphia 2005

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: November 18, 2006 13:24

Satisfaction - Sydney 2006, but Keef recovers and absolutely rips

Brown Sugar - Melbourne 2006 , total cockup, but the boys salvaged it, any lesser band would have died

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: November 18, 2006 14:54

Intro BS -Vredenburg, Amsterdam Arena and many many more times - don't really know why this happens so often. Must have played the riff a million times...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 18, 2006 15:08

Midnight Rambler - Toronto 1999

Charlie ends the song too e a r l y ...

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 18, 2006 15:15

IORR as seen on the IMAX film. Probably staged I dunno.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 18, 2006 15:16

Let It Bleed - Philadelphia 1981

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 18, 2006 15:30

RSF said: "Mick welcomes the audience with "Hello Bremen", which is 300 km away) "

In an ABB interview with NBC's Matt Lauer, Mick admitted having nightmares of such mistakes.

Not sure if this qualifies but I know the audience felt slighted. Throughout a 3 night stand (Steel Wheels 89) at Alpine Valley Music Theater in East Troy, Wisconsin....Mick kept welcoming and saying hello to Chicago first...

Alpine Valley is much closer to Milwaukee Wisconsin than it is to Chicago Illinois. Mick received some boos for this mistake. And in Bill Wyman's ROLLING WITH THE STONES book, there's a map illustrating the cities they played on the Steel Wheels tour........they put East Troy (Alpine Valley) in Missouri instead of Wisconsin. (???) That's 2 states...several hundred miles away!

It might not have been a big deal to the Stones but it was Wisconsin's first Stones show since 1975.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-18 15:32 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: November 18, 2006 16:32

"A sweet, sweet bOOty but stone-, stone-cold!"

I love that one! They HAD to keep it in!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 18, 2006 16:36

Hand Of Fate - Paris 2003 (it's on 4Flix)
It's funny to see confusion on Mick's face while he's trying to improvise the lyrics. And Keith teaching Ron what he should play during the song is hillarious!

Connection - Oakland 2006
They f*.*ed it up pretty badly. Almost entire song fell apart. Even Keith was lauthing at it.

Posted by: Ringo Kid ()
Date: November 18, 2006 17:59

A friend of mine once said - cause someone was talking about how many mistakes Keith and Ronnie play these days - that it doesn´t matter, just take a good look at who´s playing! I always love to think back at that, cause I feel he´s so damn right. To see The Stones, it just warms, and I love all those moments you´ve mentioned here:-)

------------------------------
[rockandrollcentral.net]
------------------------------

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 18, 2006 20:37

Recently the Stones were playing "Miss You" at MSG. I think they were on the B-stage, that had just riden across the hall. They were playing an instrumental verse... A smooth groove, when suddenly Ronnie launched into the next part -- his high slide -- about eight bars too early. Keith walked across the small stage and planted a kiss on Woody's cheek, then they played on.

It's strange how I can remember the specific mistakes from certain shows... forgetting about where I saw many great performances. (It's kind of like remembering dates like when JFK or Lennon were shot, instead of those people's birthdays. But that's another thread.)

Date: November 18, 2006 20:46

I don't know if this was the "best" but it was certainly the most blatant I've witnessed LIVE...
She's a Rainbow, January 1998, Honolulu Hawaii... Mick didn't have a teleprompter and he jumbled up the lyrics throughout... repeatedly singing "she combs her hair" over and over. He semi-apologized for the performance of that song and was happy it was over.
The fans still enjoyed it though, nobody booed.

Date: November 18, 2006 21:09

Why should they "boo"? I find it is just funny, if it doesn't happen too often. All these mistakes show that they are just normal people, just like you and me, who also make their mistakes...this makes them human and likeable.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 18, 2006 21:23

My "favourite" mistake was when I saw 'em live in the Stockholm Globe Arena 2003, during Can't You Hear Me Knocking. Not a big mistake, but an enjoyable one. Keith's guitar pick breaks during the riff in the first part of the song, and he looks at it, looks at Ronnie, laughs, and then takes a new one and continues to play, thereby missing a few slashes in the riff. Rock 'n' roll!

Posted by: jseb ()
Date: November 19, 2006 01:21

my favorite mistake :

in paris, 1995 : keith forgot he had to play satisfaction, and he began jumpin' jack flash... the rest of the band started the song too, so it was impossible to stop the song : he played jumpin' jack flash with a guitar programmed for satisfaction ... it was the most 'destroy' version of jumpin' jack flash...!!!

Brussels, ? , Stade Roi Baudouin

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 19, 2006 02:42

Las Vegas - March 2006
Keith started to play HTW instead of ONNYA. Mick and Ronnie just look at him and laugh. Mick says something like that was just practice. Keith just shrugs his shoulders and starts to play the right song.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: November 19, 2006 04:01

JJF - Toronto Blind Date, Keef

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 19, 2006 04:09

bigfrankie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JJF - Toronto Blind Date, Keef

There's one that's worse from that show...Star Star (or was it Respectable?)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 19, 2006 07:57

Stray Cat Blues in Stockholm Cirkus Licks tour... a train wreck!

The off note Keith hits in the middle part on Midnight Rambler off Get Your Leed Lungs Out...it is killer!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 19, 2006 09:24

Undercover-East troy,wisconsin-1989-Mick's microphone goes out and he slams the stand to the ground in disgust. it's quickly replaced.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: November 19, 2006 12:10

Hardly a @#$%&-up, but I always liked that moment, Sydney febr. 26 '73, where Keith starts Happy on the wrong fret and instantly corrects himself in 0.13 seconds.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: JK ()
Date: November 19, 2006 14:22

Brown Sugar Vredenburg 03

Date: November 19, 2006 14:45

jseb Wrote:
> my favorite mistake :
>
>
> in paris, 1995 : keith forgot he had to play
> satisfaction, and he began jumpin' jack flash...
> the rest of the band started the song too, so it
> was impossible to stop the song : he played
> jumpin' jack flash with a guitar programmed for
> satisfaction ... it was the most 'destroy' version
> of jumpin' jack flash...!!!

Was this the show in Olympia? Or which one of the two on Longchamps?

Date: November 19, 2006 14:48

Ahhhh, another one:
"Rough Justice" in Munich 2006 on B-stage: Mick introduces RJ and Keith starts with the riff of "On No Not You Again", and for having his head-microphone, the whole stadium could hear Mick screaming "oh no no no no no no...".

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 19, 2006 16:17

New yersey 98 ...Jagger sang Star-f..but its was IORR!!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 19, 2006 17:00

JJFlash wrote: Undercover-East troy,wisconsin-1989-Mick's microphone goes out and he slams the stand to the ground in disgust. it's quickly replaced.

Which show? 9/8 9/9 or 9/11/89?

Date: November 20, 2006 01:09

RollingStonesFan Wrote:
> Ahhhh, another one:
> "Rough Justice" in Munich 2006 on B-stage: Mick
> introduces RJ and Keith starts with the riff of
> "On No Not You Again", and for having his
> head-microphone, the whole stadium could hear Mick
> screaming "oh no no no no no no...".

but seriously: what's the difference?

you can't catch me!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1972
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home