Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Sound of an Actual Vinyl LP
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: November 14, 2006 00:38

I write this as I listen to mp3s of the "Accidents Will Happen" boot LP. I never thought I'd be writing this, but I actually miss the tell-tale faint crackling of a stylus actually touching the surface of a record.

It is unfortunate that the warmth of an LP can't be properly translated to CD. It'd also unfortunate that some of the younger fans may have never even heard a vinyl record.

If so, go to "Buy/Sell/Trade" and get these digitized versions. Especially, the long version of "Send It To Me". As we used to say, the bass nearly jumps off the grooves LOL. Now, I realize that this betrays my age (I'm 49), but I want the youngsters to get some notion of what they missed.

My thanks to G Gunnarsson for offering up that classic LP.

Re: The Sound of an Actual Vinyl LP
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 14, 2006 01:23

A good bit of vinyl is hard to beat in so far a sound quality goes. My 60's mono LPs have more dynamic range than the CDs that replaced them. Ah, salad days!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 14, 2006 01:25

I remember when they only had tapes and LPs for sale...

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: November 14, 2006 01:27

I'll never give away my Stones LP's. I love the sound - all the skips, the little bit of crackling, the way it's slightly sped up. It's as though my albums were cut especially for me, no one else's sounds exactly that way.

So cool!

P.S. Love Accidents Will Happen

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: November 14, 2006 01:54

Cds were never made to replace vinyl, they were made to replace factory, store bought tapes, which are pretty terrible...people just like the convenience of cds, as you can skip around much easier. Analog sound is ALWAYS superior to digital, as when something is recorded in analog, it has a nice smoothe curved, wave. Any digital format, even SA CD, the computer has to "connect the dots", while the analog, is true. No comparison between analog and digital..Analog always is superior, in my opinion, especially when the source is analog.

I am lucky, as I have all the Stones (3,000+) records in pretty much pristine condition....

JR

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 14, 2006 01:57

I miss it too, but I don't miss the sound of a skip or the needle getting stuck. That always seemed to happen in songs I liked the most at the part of the song I like the most.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 14, 2006 01:58

I miss it too, and was reflecting on it after listening to Accidents Will Happen again, after getting in on vinyl over 25 years ago. But I don't miss the sound of a skip or the needle getting stuck. That always seemed to happen in songs I liked the most at the part of the song I like the most.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: November 14, 2006 01:59

sound is analog, nothing beats vinyl, until now..
maybe the new blue ray discs come a little bit closer in the near future.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: November 14, 2006 02:05

On a vinyl record a cymbal crash will keep ringing till it is done (which can be a very long time) and you can hear this if you listen. Take the same song on a CD and the cymbal is not going to ring as long or sound as real IMO. I believe the digital noise filters are cutting in when noise and sound can not be distinguished. The new SACD and DVD audio come allot closer though. There is also the warm natural sound on vinyl which I believe is true but very subjective.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: November 14, 2006 02:12

i dont miss vinyl because its almost all i listen to...

the recording industry has been really smart while people seem to act like sheep.....first the recording industry convinceed people to throw out their "crappy sounding" lps and replace them with cds which cost twice what lps did!....now they've convinced people that cds are unnecessary (you can make the argument that apple did this more than the record industry but the record industry is on board now) and they should pay $1 for one song with no artwork or anything..just an MP3 file...

when you compare an LP with its cover to an mp3 file its amazing that more people don't realize they've been cheated..

whats also funny is that when i create an mp3 from an lp i think it sounds better than the cd version usually..so much for mastering and all that "transfer" business..

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: November 14, 2006 02:14

I miss the large album covers for its artwork.

"Is it any wonder that we fuss and fight"

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: November 14, 2006 02:15

Hey, Stoned....If you ever want to hang out, and if you ever get out to Manassas, Look me up...email me privately, my email is not hidden...

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-14 02:15 by stone-relics.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 14, 2006 02:33

Vinyl!
Well research shows that vinyl has a larger sonic range than CDs which explains why the digital sound is cold...
I too miss my vinyls and will never get rid of them. Not just because of the sound, but also the art behind the packaging. An album was an event! You looked forward to the cover, what was inside, the pictures the liner notes. There were times the Stones were fantastic about how they presented their albums. Exile with the post cards! The Beatles were great as well. The White album is amazing with the poster, the four individual pictures, the lyrics. Most of my Stones, Bowie, Beatles, and Kinks collection are Japanese imports, which were, and are, far superior to US and UK vinyl. They are pressed on virgin vinyl, always came in thicker cardboard, always had lyrics (which often were hilarious translations!), and sounded amazing. They were up there with the mobile fidelity series. I am living in Singapore and all my vinyl is is the US with my parents, my goal this summer is to go back home and ship them to Singapore and get a new turn table!
Don't get me wrong. I love the opportunities that digital has given us. The amazing avaliability of material...the derth of stuff you can just grab off the internet is incredible! But man, nothing beats a great album!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-14 02:37 by whitem8.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: November 14, 2006 02:47

stoned_in_dc wrote:

>whats also funny is that when i create an mp3 from an lp i think it sounds better than the cd version usually..so much for mastering and all that "transfer" business..

True! (not the case with Jeff Buckley's Grace deluxe edition imho , that one sounds marvellous now)

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 14, 2006 03:04

whitem8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

I am living in Singapore

Alan?

(If you're not, there's an American Stones fan living there you should probably talk to)

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: November 14, 2006 03:09

I am a youngster (21) and want to start a collection of lp's. I've been anoying my parents by steeling they're's when I'm home. Anyway, do you guys know of a place to find relitively cheap lp's? I'm on a student budget and can't spend too much. Thanks for any help!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 14, 2006 03:11

Vinyl section of ya local record shop....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 14, 2006 03:13

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 21:17 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 14, 2006 03:26

It's the warm sound of the vinyl.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 14, 2006 03:26

nope, not alan:-)
Matthew, been here for eight years now.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 14, 2006 05:02

cali stones fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am a youngster (21) and want to start a
> collection of lp's. I've been anoying my parents
> by steeling they're's when I'm home. Anyway, do
> you guys know of a place to find relitively cheap
> lp's? I'm on a student budget and can't spend too
> much. Thanks for any help!

If you're a Southern California resident and have the time, make your way to Record Surplus on Pico, near the 405 Freeway, for cheap vinyl. If you can afford collectible prices, then head for Rockaway Records in Glendale -- ask to see the Stones albums/45's. They usually have a number in the cheap bins and a quite a few in the collectible section behind the counter.

Posted by: ssf466 ()
Date: November 14, 2006 05:06

checkout my website www.newlps.com

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: November 14, 2006 07:46

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to check some of these out.

Posted by: ssf466 ()
Date: November 14, 2006 08:21

i will give any iorr.org members 10 % discount

just put iorr in coupon code

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 14, 2006 09:58

Elmo said
"It's the warm sound of the vinyl."

Sort of but theres much more too it than that. There's more musical information on vinyl. Period.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: November 14, 2006 10:09

Cds may not have any of the needle contact sound but they miss a big part of the sound spectrum.

-Drake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-14 10:11 by drake.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 14, 2006 10:45

Legendary Led Zeppelin's box set contains 44 records in one box.
It repressed all LP records of Zep into 45rpm single records. Amazing staff.
However it is still sold out and no Stones yet.

You can make it if you try [www.classicrecords.com] .

Date: November 14, 2006 11:05

I still listen to my Long Players on my trusty 30 year old turntable and totally agree with other comments on this thread that CDs are too clinical and lack real depth of sound. That, together with my love of the Stones, means my place has become known amongst my friends as 'The Vinyl Lounge'!

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: November 14, 2006 12:32

I pick vinyl over cds anyday

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: November 14, 2006 15:03

I got a new stereo system. I was amazed to find my new Creek amp came with no phono input. I needed to buy a seperate phono pre-amp. I was told not everybody opts for using a record player. I just couldn't believe it. For me and many others, a grammaphone is a vital part of any stereo set up. I just bought the first Stones record U.S 3rd pressing. Sounds fantastic as opposed to the CD version.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1734
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home