Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mayall and Taylor Passaic NJ 6-18-82
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 10, 2006 13:11

John Mayall and Mick Taylor The Bluesbreakers Passaic NJ 6-18-82 - With Special Guests, Etta James,Junior Wells,Buddy Guy, Albert King, and Sippie Wallace new

This is a great recording Taylor is on fire and plays on all the songs his controlled melodic vibrato is heaven.

eye for eye
[download.yousendit.com]

baby what you want me to do - with etta james on vocals
[download.yousendit.com]

messin with the kid - with junior wells on vocals and harp and buddy guy

[download.yousendit.com]

dont start me talkin - with junior wells on vocals and harp and buddy guy
[download.yousendit.com]

my time after awhile
[download.yousendit.com]

shorty george - with sippie wallace on vocals
[download.yousendit.com]

dark side of midnight
[download.yousendit.com]

I wonder why - albert king
[download.yousendit.com]

born under a bad sign with albert king
[download.yousendit.com]

stormy monday - with albert king
[download.yousendit.com]

cc rider - with all the guests
[download.yousendit.com]

room to move
[download.yousendit.com]

end enjoy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-11 10:52 by bv.

Re: John Mayall and Mick Taylor The Bluesbreakers Passaic NJ 6-18-82 - With Special Guests, Etta James,Junior Wells,Buddy Guy, Albert King, and Sippie Wallace
Date: November 10, 2006 13:13

More information on the show

820618A 18th June: Passaic, New Jersey, Capitol Theatre
- Introduction* [guitar solo, probably from Rock It In The Pocket] (John Mayall)
- An Eye For An Eye* (John Mayall)
- Baby What You Want Me To Do* (Jimmy Reed) -Etta James on vocals
- Messin' With The Kid* (Mel London) -Junior Wells on vocals and harmonica,
Buddy Guy on guitar
- Don t Start Me Talkin'* (Sonnyboy Williamson II) -Junior Wells on vocals and
harmonica, Buddy Guy on guitar
- My Time After Awhile (Robert Geddins/Ronald Badger)
- Shorty George* (Sippie Wallace) -Sippie Wallace on vocals
- The Dark Side Of Midnight* (John Mayall)
- Room To Move* (John Mayall)
- I Wonder Why* (Albert King) -Albert King on vocals and guitar, Frank Dunbar
on bass
- Born Under A Bad Sign (Booker T. Jones/William Bell) -Albert King on vocals
and guitar, Frank Dunbar on bass
- Stormy Monday* (Aron Walker) -Albert King on vocals and guitar, Frank
Dunbar on bass
- C.C. Rider (Trad.) -with all guests and Hubert Sumlin on harmonica
Line-up: MT (gtr, p)/John Mayall (voc, keyb, harm)/John McVie (bass)/Colin
Allen (dr)
Note: The whole show was filmed. The songs marked with a star were released on
the video ‘Blues Alive' in 1984 (RCA Columbia RVT 10377).

Re: John Mayall and Mick Taylor The Bluesbreakers Passaic NJ 6-18-82 - With Special Guests, Etta James,Junior Wells,Buddy Guy, Albert King, and Sippie Wallace
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 10, 2006 13:16

All right Etta James!! Thanks Open G! Your a gent!

Date: November 10, 2006 13:19

Listen to Etta james BELT out Baby What You want me to do and how taylor plays
that stinging slide guitar

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 10, 2006 13:19

OpenG,
You're a man of obvious taste. Can't get enough of this. I have the video but not the missing tracks.

Date: November 10, 2006 13:23

yes i have the video as well junior wells tried to get Mick taylor to take center stage after one of his solos and as always taylor is to nice of a guy to upstage junior and buddy guy.

Date: November 10, 2006 13:31

The other part that stands out is when Mick Taylor blows Albert King away with his wicked solo on 'Stormy Monday'. So many highlights on this one. Did you see Mick Taylor on the John Mayall 70th birthday show? Impeccable vibrato and phrasing.

Date: November 10, 2006 13:35

yes taylor's playing was fresh and he outshined clapton and wittington who played it by the book with the standard blues licks. claptons tone was tinny partly due to using s STRAT but he never had taylors vibrato.

Date: November 10, 2006 13:40

When I saw Mick Taylor live he was playing his sunburst les paul through a marshall and a fender twin at the same time. I think he gets most of his tone from his fingers though. He uses pretty heavy strings and often doesn't use a plectrum.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: November 11, 2006 04:31

I was at this show--went, obviously for Mick T. Remember that the whole place was populated with Stones fans. Also, remember it was the first time I was exposed to Albert King, if I remember correctly (I have never heard or seen this show) in addition to sporting a killer tone, he was really funny (he might have handled the introduction of Mick T.)

The sad thing is I was too young to really appreciate the fact that people like Junior Wells or Etta James were there. I had never even heard of them, which is kind of an embarassing admission.

I do recall there was one song where Mick Taylor played a ripping solo and the place went crazy--couldn't hear yourself think. Of course, in those days we were higher then a kite. lol

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 11, 2006 04:43

you suck, slider. junior and etta should be household icon names for any claiming to be a stones fan.....

think i will toss on some vintage junior right now in protest.....

Date: November 11, 2006 04:48

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you suck, slider. junior and etta should be
> household icon names for any claiming to be a
> stones fan.....
>
> think i will toss on some vintage junior right now
> in protest.....

Guilty as charged!! I said it was an embarassing admission.......
In fact I do not even remember Buddy Guy being there, but probably was
unaware of him at that point, too.

The other day I was at BB Kings and I asked if they had anyone interesting lately and they told me about 10 days ago they had Etta James and I freaked out that I missed that. Kind of ironic. Not all ignorance is bliss.

Date: November 11, 2006 04:57

man, too bad we didn't hook up in NYC....went to see Dr. John at the Blue Note the night before the Stones - good stuff, except my buddy had 6 too many martinis.....

Date: November 11, 2006 05:02

That would have been great---please do not wait 25 yrs to come here again.

6 too many martinis? Yikes. I consider myself an experienced driver to be certain, but I do not think I would ever attempt 6 martinis, let alone 6 too many. Ouch.

Never been to the Blue Note either, walked by it about a zillion times including last time. Jazz is a tough sell to the girlfriend, she claims her ADD would kick in....More of a Broadway kind of girl, for which I require several Martinis---lol

Date: November 11, 2006 05:09

you a jazz fan, yourself? i was looking for an excuse to go to either the village vanguard or the blue note - those places are like mecca for me. when i went to london last august, it was a lifelong dream to step inside Ronnie Scott's in Soho - place where Jimi played his final notes before he died....

Date: November 11, 2006 05:20

StonesTod Wrote:
> you a jazz fan, yourself? i was looking for an
> excuse to go to either the village vanguard or the
> blue note - those places are like mecca for me.
> when i went to london last august, it was a
> lifelong dream to step inside Ronnie Scott's in
> Soho - place where Jimi played his final notes
> before he died....

I am sort of a neophyte but getting there---started with the basics Kind of Blue, Love Supreme, Sketches of Spain, Blue Train sort of going from there. Being in NY there is alot available but like I said the better half is adamantly opposed and I am a "go with the flow" kind of guy. You argue all day for a living, you tend to do most anything to avoid arguing in your personal life.

Funny thing about Jazz is I do not really go for Jazz guitar playing--always struck me as too busy, personally. So, I stayed away, but really really dig Coltrane and Miles. A buddy gave me the Coltrane/Monk from Carnegie Hall--killer.

Never knew that about Jimi...

Date: November 11, 2006 05:26

you're off to a good start on jazz. i agree about jazz guitar, though wes (montgomery) and barney kessel weren't busy-bodies and are well worth checking out.

Date: November 11, 2006 05:29

also - got the last recording of jimi at ronnie scott's (he sat in with Eric Burdon and War) - concludes fittingly (eerily) with Memphis Slim's "Mother Earth" (whose lyrics include - "when it all comes down, you gotta go back to mother earth)....a few hours later he's gone.

Date: November 11, 2006 05:34

LOVE Wes---totally agree. That is a major exception. Major.

Thanks for the history lesson re Jimi--never heard that before, interesting, ironic and profoundly sad all at the same time.

Can hear the Wes influence in Jimi's playing.

Posted by: barbequebob ()
Date: November 11, 2006 13:39

openG,

I saw this same configuarion of the Bluesbreakers (w/o all the guests) at the Beacon Theatre, roughly the same time. I imagine it was part of the same tour. Of all the times I've seen Mayall, that was probably the most memorable.

But I never knew about this jamfest over in Jersey. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Mayall and Taylor Passaic NJ 6-18-82
Date: November 11, 2006 15:53

its about sharing the music

Date: November 11, 2006 19:03

OpenG Wrote:
> its about sharing the music

Yes--many, many thanks their Open G--very nice of you. I opened a "you send it" account so I could get this---very very cool. And, you are right Mick T's slide behind Etta James vocals is about as good as it gets.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: November 11, 2006 20:33

OpenG Wrote:
> John Mayall and Mick Taylor The Bluesbreakers
> Passaic NJ 6-18-82 - With Special Guests, Etta
> James,Junior Wells,Buddy Guy, Albert King, and
> Sippie Wallace new

Thank you, OpenG. Great show.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home