Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

visiting Liverpool-London, any music related Suggestions? Pls!
Posted by: stone13 ()
Date: November 6, 2006 16:41

Hello Guys,

Im flying tomorrow to Liverpool staying there just few days and then moving on to London.
The only reason so far for me visiting liverpool are The Beatles, which with the Stones are my top 2 favourite Bands of all times, so please, don´t let me down on some suggestions cause of this fact (im also not a member of any Beatles forum to ask this question somewhere else).

Would anyone tell me what is in Liverpool of Beatles-related importance to see? House of John,Paul,Ringo,George? The Cavern Club for sure, Penny Lane (which is just a street -?- and Strawberry Fields which are...just Fields??) and what else?
I might end up taking a Beatles tour, but it´d be also be nice visiting the places without such "help", or maybe there are important places for fans to be seen which are not to see on this touristic bus??
Anyone knows where did they shot "Something", "Day Tripper" or where were important album pics taken?

The same about London, only difference is that hier i also get to see Stones-related places like...dont know!
Beatles-related is the famous Abbey Road street (which might just be an ordinary street, but u know how a fan can be), Apple Studios -dont know where they were- and...
Well, since many of you probably know more lots of places, i would really appreciate u letting me know about them, cause i´ve been to london and im not planning to do the Picadilly-Oxfort Street tour, but reviving the places all these songs been telling about or the ones we´ve got in our posters and videos.

Thank you so much!

if want to send an email will be also fine
([email protected])

Re: visiting Liverpool-London, any music related Suggestions? Pls!
Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 6, 2006 17:34

Hi Stone13

If you're visiting Liverpool for Fab Four interest then you need to go the Albert Dock complex (15 mins taxi ride from airport and close to city centre) where you will find the "Beatles Story". This essentially, is a hugely impressive museum, jam-packed with memorabilia, music transcripts, photos, rare artifacts, videos etc. which I highly recommend. You will be spellbound! From there, you can board the Magical Mystery Tour coach, which will take you around the birthplaces of the boys, as well as to sites of interest such as Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane and of course, the Cavern in Matthew Street.

If you were to visit the city at the end of August during Beatle weekend, you'd find it hard to get near any of these places, as the festival attracts close on a quarter of a million visitors! Of a normal weekday however the museum, still manages to attract many hundreds of tourists.

As for the city itself, it will be the European Capital of Culture for 2008, and as a consequence, has had hundreds of millions of pounds spent on it, evidence of which you will see when you visit. This includes (at long last) a new world class indoor arena close to the Albert Dock.

In terms of night life (clubs, pubs etc.) Liverpool is probably unrivalled by any other city in the world. Seriously. And it's not just for kids either (the type who frequent the front row of Stones Beacon shows)! There's something for everyone there.

One last point. Everyone is football mad there, so if you can bring with you any soccer memorabilia (badges etc) to give to the locals, you will be VERY popular indeed!

Enjoy your visit.

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: November 6, 2006 19:23

If you go down to the site of the old Cavern Club there is a pub a few doors down called "The Grapes." Have a pint and lunch. That is where the Beatles used to go for a pint after/between their sets at the Cavern as the latter did not have a liquor licence in those days. There's a picture on the wall in the pub of the boys taking a break. I don't think that the pub's interior has changed since the '60's. Also, take in "The Beatles Shop" and definitely take in the Beatles tour on the allocated bus (it used to be/may still be called "The Magical Mystery" tour - it takes you to loads of sites including the Beatles' former homes, Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, etc.). All very interesting.

Date: November 6, 2006 21:01

There is a place in West Derby, Liverpool, called the Casbah Coffee club, a cellar under Pete Best's old house, the drummer kicked out in place of Ringo. This is where the Beatles actually started, not the Cavern as everyone says.

I went to the Casbah 2 weeks ago and Rory Best, Pete's brother, takes you on a tour of the cellar, normally it may only be you and your family he takes round, so it is very personal. I actually preferred it to the same old stories about the Cavern, Penny Lane etc, and they still have the original things which were there at the time of the Beatles. I seriously recommend it.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: November 6, 2006 21:09

London, Stones. Bill Wyman's restaurant. Stones themed like the Hard Rock Cafe.
Second hand record shop. Notting Hill Gate. Near to the tube station. Good Stones items. Covent Garden, England Rocks, very expensive Stones items but you can get something within reason.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 6, 2006 21:15

London - Edith Grove

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 6, 2006 22:33

If you're in London on 10 November, I recommend the Rollin' Stoned tribute band at the 100 Club in Oxford St.

Posted by: Han ()
Date: November 6, 2006 22:53

And if you're still in Liverpool on the 11th you could nip across the Mersey and catch Bill Wyman & the Rhythm Kings in New Brighton.

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Posted by: stone13 ()
Date: November 7, 2006 13:00

I just wanted to thank you all so much for your Posts, believe me, i do know what i am to do now in Liverpool and london (well, bout london just know the second shop record, the stones tribute band and bills restaurant),
What is edith grove?

Thank you again, im to enjoy liverpool in few hours!!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 7, 2006 13:12

Edith Grove (102, ey?) is where Keith, Brian and Mick lived in
´winter and spring 1962-63 (along with James Phelge*)
Its in South Chelsea, not far from the Thames...
I'm sure sthere are more who can give ya a more specific
description where to find it... Cause I'm in a rush..

* there are two books by Phelge about that time,
and Bill also mentions it in Stone Alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-07 13:13 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 7, 2006 19:51

This place does a three-hour Rolling Stones walking tour in London:

[www.beatles-beatles-beatles.com]

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: November 7, 2006 20:10

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> * there are two books by Phelge about that time,
> and Bill also mentions it in Stone Alone.

Baboon - what's the second Phelge book? I've got "Nankering" - didn't know there was another.

Right down the street from Edith Grove is Cheyne Walk, where M & K both lived in the late '60s / early '70s. And right near there is the embankment where a very early yet often published photo shoot took place (mid '63, maybe).

On King's Road in Chelsea, you can see the Chelsea Drugstore, which is now a McDonald's, as well as the pub where they auditioned Bill (can't think of either the old or new names right now).

Richmond has the Station Hotel and Ronnie's old digs The Wick, where Keith stayed in the cottage for a while in '74. Townshend now rules the roost there.

Oh, and of course you can take the train to Dartford, get out, go over to the other side and the London-bound platform, and walk up to strangers and say "Hey mannn . . . nice to see you but WHERE'D YOU GET THE RECORDS?"

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 7, 2006 21:42

If you've got time while you're in Richmond (if you do go there) then walk across Richmond Bridge, turn left along the Thames towpath on the Twickenham side of the river, and follow it along for about a mile until you come to the footbridge to Eel Pie Island.

Nothing much to see these days on the Island (the Island Hotel burned down years ago and was replaced by boring modern houses) but it's a pretty walk at any time of year and for most of the way you have good views across the river to The Wick (including Keith's cottage, which you can't see from close by because of the high wall) and Mick's former residence on Richmond Hill.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:13

I haven't "done" the Liverpool thing for the Beatles since I haven't visited Liverpool yet but one thing not clarified here is that THE CAVARN that you will see on your trip is not THE CAVARN The Beatles played in. That one was across the street from the one up now and was knocked down and turned into a parking lot in the 70's when the City of Liverpool had a (stupid) super serious anger problem with the Band for leaving Liverpool and calling London home. So they knocked down "THE (original) CAVERN" (the one with the film clip of the Beatles playing SOME OTHER GUY on stage) then went and rebuilt a backwards copy - according to McCartney - who DID play "THE (New/Rebuilt) CAVERN" solo (concert's on DVD) with his "Run Devil Run" CD of cover songs he did after Wife Linda died) across the street after saner minds realized what an idiotic thing the city counsel had done.(still, in my mind it's not the same. A bit of history has been ruined. To the best of my knowledge Lennon, Harrison, and Starr never set foot in this replica) Politicians, if they ONLY had a brain......

Date: November 7, 2006 22:23

here's a suggestion: get on the eurostar . . .

you can't catch me!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:26

Yeah, it's a shame about the original Cavern Club - a true landmark.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:27

MicksBrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't "done" the Liverpool thing for the
> Beatles since I haven't visited Liverpool yet but
> one thing not clarified here is that THE CAVARN
> that you will see on your trip is not THE CAVARN
> The Beatles played in. That one was across the
> street from the one up now and was knocked down
> and turned into a parking lot in the 70's when the
> City of Liverpool had a (stupid) super serious
> anger problem with the Band for leaving Liverpool
> and calling London home. So they knocked down "THE
> (original) CAVERN" (the one with the film clip of
> the Beatles playing SOME OTHER GUY on stage) then
> went and rebuilt a backwards copy - according to
> McCartney - who DID play "THE (New/Rebuilt)
> CAVERN" solo (concert's on DVD) with his "Run
> Devil Run" CD of cover songs he did after Wife
> Linda died) across the street after saner minds
> realized what an idiotic thing the city counsel
> had done.(still, in my mind it's not the same. A
> bit of history has been ruined. To the best of my
> knowledge Lennon, Harrison, and Starr never set
> foot in this replica) Politicians, if they ONLY
> had a brain......

Couldn't have put it better myself!!!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:53

Juan:
"James Phelge, Phelge's Stones: The Untold History from Edith Grove and Beyond. BA Books." [www.danbyrnes.com.au]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-07 22:53 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: McCartney ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:55

Take the London Beatles walks too with this guy named Richard. (Can't remember his last name, I think it might be Porter) They are very good. (There are two different walks with the same guy)

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:57

Thanks BB.

Used copies are going for 50 GBP on amazon.uk. Published by Buncha @#$%& Books - ha! Gotta love it.

Is it much different than the Nankering book?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1362
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home