Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
what age where you when you discovered the stones
Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: November 3, 2006 21:42

hi folks, im new to the board having just discovered it, looking forward to finding out and sharing as much info on the stones as possible.

i discovered the stones in 1987 when i was 19, seen them twice, hampden park glasgow in 1990 and murrayfield edinburgh in 1999.

its obvious from reading this board that the stones indeed are very diverse and can interest a whole spectrum of society.

always wanted to ask this question.

who thinks the rolling stones since the 1967 tour have neglected the mid 60,s period of 1964-66 in subsequent concerts which is the period in time that defined they"re image.

Re: what age where you when you discovered the stones
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: November 3, 2006 21:46

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-04 11:25 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 3, 2006 21:53

when i was about 10 i remember my mother saying she'd never allow a Rolling Stones record in her house. i got hooked when i heard SHATTERED in mid '70s. I was about 12. It wasn't long after that...that my mother was buying me Stones records for Christmas etc... She still calls me on the phone to let me know when the Stones appear on tv etc... She's as old as Mick winking smiley Still can't believe she didn't say anything about the Sticky Fingers album cover when she gave it to me for my birthday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-03 21:56 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: November 3, 2006 21:57

my dad said that to me in 1989.

when i was 21 and soon to be left home.

he said i dont want you to bring that filth(stones records) into this house.

i said too late its already in, and its well written filth anyway.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 3, 2006 21:58

I was 11. A 15 year-old cousin made me listen to " Carol" in 64. That riff still haunts me.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 3, 2006 21:59

Stone age...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: November 3, 2006 22:05

I knew the Stones since I was a baby, but it wasn't until I was 14 that I really became a fan - I saw the Stones on the Voodoo Lounge tour at that age and even if I wasn't so much impressed I started listening to a lot of CDs then and got hooked smiling smiley

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: zee ()
Date: November 3, 2006 22:09

8...the first mono record I ever bought...Mercy Mercy from Out of Our Heads... the first track...holy $(^@*^$.... I still remember the riffs...Last Time...Satisfaction and my dad screamin TURN IT DOWN...I was hooked

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 3, 2006 22:23

Around 7 years old. My cousin was into them and got me hooked. Rewind had just came out and I was also watching their video from that. Had to sit through a few tough years where the band was doing much and Mick was releasing solo album. Got the Harlem Shuffle single the day it was released.

Also agree that they don't do much from their early 60s years and they should. I think many of their early bluesy tunes would work very well live today and would help sort of reinvent the songs.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: November 3, 2006 22:34

This is a funny one.

My parents always encouraged music- listening and playing. Well, when I was 8 or 9 my parents stopped by a record store. They told us that we could pick a record to buy.

My brother and sister, 4 and 5 years older, picked their albums. Then, they all saw Beggars Banquet and wanted it. But, they already picked theirs. So, I only picked the album because they wanted it! I will never forget it- it was an end display at the store.(pretty sure it was a plain white album too, but not sure)

So, I got into the stones and bought my first album out of spite. I wanted to make my brother and sister jealous. Little boys will be boys. I have been rocking and rolling ever since. By the way, my brother eventually traded me some crummy 45 that was popular at the time; I think it was 'Jerimia was a Bull Frog'- Karma I guess.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 3, 2006 22:34

All of eight years of age!

They had attitude back then.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 3, 2006 22:36

Dirty Work in 86, I was 5. But in 1990 I saw an Urban Jungle concert..that was quite an experience. Managed to get real close to the stage too.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: November 3, 2006 22:36

8 years old, see my profile at www.stonesvikings.com to get the full story.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Juiced In NJ ()
Date: November 3, 2006 22:38

14 in 1964. The first thing I remember was seeing them on the Clay Cole Show in NY lip synching Tell Me. I was hooked right away! They used to appear on that show a lot.

Date: November 3, 2006 22:49

I was 10 years old when I first started getting into them. But when I was 3-4 (had to have been that young) I remember hearing a cowbell at the beginning of a song (Honky Tonk Women) followed by "Whooo WHoooo" (Sympathy For The Devil) on one of my dads mixed tapes of the Stones he had.

"She's got a mind of her own, yeah, and she use it mighty fine..."

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 3, 2006 22:55

I'm pleasantly surprised at the youth on this board. Now some of the other threads make more sense. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised...there were two 8 year olds behind me...screaming their lungs out at the recent Chicago Soldier Field show.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 3, 2006 22:57

At 14 in 1979.Dug my dad's copy of "Rolled Gold" out of the radiogram and it changed my life.

byb bye the Jam and Clash !

1ST. gig Wembley 26-6-82 Bloody hell,that's a long time ago.

sc uk

Date: November 3, 2006 22:58

damn your imperialist nonsense: we didn't DISCOVER the stones. they were already here!

you can't catch me!

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: November 3, 2006 23:00

Probably around the age of 7 or 8...I heard Play With Fire on the AM radio. Late 60's or early 1970's.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: November 3, 2006 23:08

Very interesting, seems we were all kids when wee discovered the Stones. I can´t for the life of me make my kids interested in the Stones. Might be some kind of rebellious thing, since they are raised on the Stones, but they don´t seem to care. Anyway, they will get all of my collection when I die, wonder what they will do with that?

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: malja316 ()
Date: November 3, 2006 23:27

I was 5 years old in 1980 when I discovered the Rolling Stones. My Dad's 2 favorite bands at that time were and still are Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones. The 1st album I ever heard of theirs was Some Girls and I was a fan ever since....so it was because of my dad I became a Stones fan...

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: November 3, 2006 23:34

i was 9 years old in 1992. i saw let's spend the night together in tv than 25x5 document. Later i bought jump back.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 3, 2006 23:38

Was always aware of them thanks to older cousins, but really got the groove when I got Goats Head on 8-track for my 13th birthday in 1973. Don't think my folks knew about "Star, Star".

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: November 3, 2006 23:46

Wasn't this a thread topic not too long ago>????

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: November 3, 2006 23:46

At 11 in 1972

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 3, 2006 23:56

I think I first heard Satisfaction when I was 9, and I liked it and the singles that followed.

What REALLY got me and made me the weirdo I am today was the first time I heard Honky Tonk Women, when I was 13.

I had been into Clapton and Hendrix and was a big fan of hot solo guitar, but the intro to HTW ... was like bolts of electricity thrown around by God...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 4, 2006 00:03

Age 13 in 1963, via Radio Luxembourg. I used to cycle to school on an unreliable old second-hand pushbike that was always breaking down, and I can still hear myself, out of breath and late as usual after the chain had come off for the umpteenth time, muttering "I WISH someone would COME along and RUN into it and WRECK it" in time with the pedals... I've found out since that the Stones didn't much like "Come On", but I did.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: November 4, 2006 00:18

I dunno how old I was, but I was in around the 6th or 7th grade when I got my first Stones tape......I had heard them on the radio all my life thought. But at that time, Lynyrd Skynyrd was my favorite band (I live in Virginia and I think most kids that grow up in the south post-mid 70's go through a Lynyrd Skynyrd phase). But the Stones began to eclipse everything else for me and I kept acquiring more Stones music. The moment when the Stones became #1 for me was when I bought Exile On Mainstreet at the age of 17....thats' when I really "got it."

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: November 4, 2006 00:50

I was around 10 and fell madly in love with CONGRATULATIONS/TIME IS ON MY SIDE and wore out that single! I also fell head over heels for Micjk and NEVER changed in my feelings! Funny because all of my other " crushes and infatuations " ended, not this one!

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 4, 2006 00:51

i was still in the womb and i could feel the vibrations.........then 16 years later i bought hot rocks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-04 05:33 by Leonard Keringer.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1691
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home