Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: What Concerts did you attend that stopped unplanned?
Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: October 30, 2006 21:00

i was at a Doors show in miami..somthing happened ..got real crazy and the show stoped...anybody else catch that??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-30 21:01 by tat2you.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: October 30, 2006 21:01

I saw Led Zep 1x in the 70s at chicago stadium and after watching Jimmy Page chug a bunch of booze, the concert stopped a few minutes later and after a while robert plant came out and said jimmy was sick and they would have to cancel the show. I believe they said they would reschedule it for later, but then the whole tour got cancelled when something else happened, I cant remember exactly what, but it was a bummer as we only saw a few songs.

john

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: October 30, 2006 21:05

tat2you Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i was at a Doors show in miami..somthing
> happened ..got real crazy and the show
> stoped...anybody else catch that??

Perhaps that was the infamous show wherein Jimbo allegedly whipped it out. The other members of the band still swear to this day that it never happened. My wife was at that show. She also says it didn't happen.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: October 30, 2006 21:06

GNR in stLouis at the RIOT show!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 30, 2006 21:12

When my physical poetry group performed Doors lyrics in a
provocative way in Valvet, Göteborg, in February 1990,
the local promotor suddenly unplugged the wires & it became silent
for a while. But we kept on howlin' till The End.

And Jimbo put a finger thru the zipper, I can reveal for ya.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-30 21:23 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 30, 2006 21:22

Led Zeppelin, Superdome, New Orleans, 1976. Robert Plant's son died a few days prior. Concert was never rescheduled.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 30, 2006 21:29

Marshall Tucker band....Boone, NC outdoors...the show started then got rained out after three songs....no big deal.

I too have a CSN story. Greensboro NC 1977 or 1978.....the show didn't stop, but the acoustic set got cut short when Graham Nash stopped in mid song and turned to some fan seated to the side of the stage and yelled, "Shut the f*uck up!!!, Man, you are so uncool. We are trying to give you our very best and you are ruining it for everyone." I think the fan was complaining that they weren't rocking out.....no big deal, in fact I was getting kind of bored watching Graham and David crooning while Stephen sat on a stool and strummed on a guitar....it was too much like Peter, Paul, and Mary for my taste.

Went to a batchelor party with a stripper when I was 18 years old. No sooner had the lady started undressing then some old geezer sitting real close to her reached out and TOUCHED her in an intimate place. She put her clothes back on and left abruptly (with the host of the party). The rest of us raided the refrigerator in protest then left......ha ha

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: October 30, 2006 22:13

There were a few, especially in the 70s. The one I will never forget was a show I had been looking forward to for a long time - Beck, Bogart & Appice (anyone remember them?) were supposed to play in Hanover, Germany. All the equipment was set up, but they kept the fans waiting for about two hours without any explanation. Finally the crowd started throwing things onto the stage and after a while they threw things like big red wine bottles. Soon the whole equipment was damaged and the stage was covered with broken glass. One of the roadies was seriously injured by a thrown bottle when he tried to "save" some of the instruments. Scary !

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: October 30, 2006 23:04

Forgot to mention a 90's (or 80's?) Rod Stewart show. Jeff Beck was playing with him. When Beck came out he played incredibly great guitar for several songs (notably "Ain't Superstitious") and he blew the roof off the arena. Rod was as usual swinging the mic stand around, but he hit Beck in the leg with the bottom of the stand. After that, no more Beck, Stewart carried on with the show, and Beck afterwards left the tour.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: October 30, 2006 23:23

A really awful band called Triumph-when I was 12 I'd go to every show that came to town and didn't know any better.Anyway, they had to cut the show short when the pyrotechnics caused their curtain to catch fire.Even at 12, I think I understood that that was pretty darn funny in a very Tap kinda way (of course, this is pre-Tap).

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 31, 2006 00:41

The Police with XTC in Rochester, NY 1978. The opener of their US Tour. Roxanne had started to become a hit. They got held up at the border and never made it to the show, which was in a 400 seat college cafeteria. The tour opened the next night in Buffalo, I believe.

The Pretenders in Rochester in October 1981. Their drummer, Martin Chambers decided to fight a piece of glass or a wall or the like and ended up hurting his hand. I was the promoter of the show. They were totally honorable, and gave us a new date, right away, for 3 months later.

2 Bands that Wish They Had Cancelled: The B52s and Joe jackson, who both had the tough job of opening for the Who in Orlando, Florida and Toronto, Canada in 1982. Both lasted 15 to 20 minuted before boos and debris started flying at them.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 31, 2006 01:05

...hey buffalo...I was there at that Orlando Who show in 1982....I saw the B-52s getting pelted with stadium cups. Our fellow iorr fan, Elmo, was also there.

It was always tough opening for the Who. I saw Toots and the Maytals get booed off the stage as the warm up act for the Who in 1975.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: October 31, 2006 04:56

REM at the Beacon Theater in around 1985...did an acoustic set, then came back out with their electric guitars. Something was not right, Peter Buck was drunk, and after about three songs, off comes his expensive and nice Rickenbacker guitar and he flings it, it goes flying across the stage...he just threw it across the stage and stormed off. The other 3 were totally bewildered, they sang one song a capella without him and that was it -- house lights came on.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 31, 2006 05:32

Actually, I now remember that I had tickets to see Rod Stewart (w/special guest Ronnie Wood) back in the mid-90's after they did the Unplugged show together. I think that it was at the Hollywood Bowl or the Greek Theater in LA -- can't remember. Rod put on one of his "going through the motions" shows, and Ronnie never showed up. To this day, I don't know what happened.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: October 31, 2006 05:41

I had a funny one happen in 1976 (could have been 1977)

There was a concert at Cabrillo College Football Stadium(Santa Cruz, California) with

Stoneground
Elvin Bishop Band
Dave Mason

Well, Elvin Bishop played for 3 hours, and Dave Mason did not show up. They announced they were trying to find out where Dave Mason was, or a replacement. Everybody just waited for a long time.

Neil Young lived above the venue in the hills, and came and played with Elvin Bishop as his back-up band. Have seen Neil 20+ times, and it was without doubt, one of his best shows I have seen!

Dave Mason thought it was a night show- got tickets for free for a show a couple of months later, and he was excellent also.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1498
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home