Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

X Pensive Winos Reunion?
Posted by: KeefRiffHard81 ()
Date: October 24, 2006 17:54

read in rolling stone last nite, keith says he spoke with steve jordan before playing giants and if the stones tour ever ends there might be an x penisive winos reunion in order? thats a show id have to catch. anyone else?

youll never find that perfect love that you read about, that you dream about.

Re: X Pensive Winos Reunion?
Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: October 24, 2006 18:02

would be there in a heartbeat...saw them at the beacon 4 nights yars ago...not enough

Date: October 24, 2006 18:02

i was too young to get out to see the winos. one of the many good tours ive sadly missed because of my age sad smiley

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 24, 2006 18:04

I would prefer a New Barbarians type of reunion with Mac but i'll take it of course :-)

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: October 24, 2006 18:05

woody is another stone id like to see in a solo enviornment yeah. slide on this.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: October 24, 2006 19:29

I'd kill to see the Winos.
Honestly back in '88 I was more familiar with them than the Stones.
I remember coming back from my first trip to the US in '92 and finding out about them playing in Barcelona but my mom wouldn't let me go :-(

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: October 24, 2006 19:40

I've said it on this board before and I will say it again. Seeing the Winos at Massey hall in 92? was one of my all time favorite shows ever. Perfect venue, I get goosebumps even thinking about it. It was the same night that Jagger appeared on Saturday Night Live and he did the famous skit with Mike Meyers.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 24, 2006 19:51

i'd be shocked if this happened. almost 15 years since they were together and KR is just not capable of carrying it off, imo....it's a much bigger job for him that playing with the stones....

Posted by: McCartney ()
Date: October 24, 2006 19:54

Not to be missed if it happens. Fantastic two LP's released by Keith and the live shows were killler.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: October 24, 2006 19:58

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i'd be shocked if this happened. almost 15 years
> since they were together and KR is just not
> capable of carrying it off, imo....it's a much
> bigger job for him that playing with the
> stones....

Don't really think so. With the Winos he didn't do that much playing, mostly he sang and then played a few licks while he wasn't singing.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: October 24, 2006 20:15

That would a real sad news.

Date: October 24, 2006 21:31

dunhill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> StonesTod Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i'd be shocked if this happened. almost 15
> years
> > since they were together and KR is just not
> > capable of carrying it off, imo....it's a much
> > bigger job for him that playing with the
> > stones....
>
> Don't really think so. With the Winos he didn't do
> that much playing, mostly he sang and then played
> a few licks while he wasn't singing.

you must be kidding. he played WAAAAAY more back on those tours than he does now.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 24, 2006 21:58

Caught their first show ever - The Fox in Atlanta in November 1988.

Brilliant!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 24, 2006 22:52

Saw them at the Marquee Club, Charing Cross Road in London in 1992. Stupendous gig. Small club, raw power, Keith having the time of his life. Jagger was in the audience. Met Keith afterwards. He signed my copy of Talk Is Cheap - as did the rest of the band.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 24, 2006 23:13

I certainly agree that Keith played far more guitar with the Winos than he has with the Stones on all the tours since Steel Wheels. His New Orleans gig with Steve Jordan and Ivan Neville a couple of years ago showed he can still rock if there isn't a crew of 300, a brass section, and back-up singers to worry about. As I said in the other thread, I just don't see another Winos album or a tour as being commercially feasible at this stage in Keith's career. Much as I wish it would happen, he wouldn't be content to record with indie labels like Ronnie or Mick Taylor do and he certainly wouldn't play a tour of small clubs. Keith will be 64 in 2007, I can't see Virgin being excited to promote a new album or Keith filling theaters and small halls for a tour. One or two shows are probably the best we could hope for. I know Keith has allegedly stockpiled tracks for years now, but I just can't imagine a new solo album.

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: October 24, 2006 23:29

I don´t see Keith solo on stage in the future. He even does not seem to remember the lyrics of simple songs like Happy these days. So how could he learn a 90-minute-program? I don´t see this. He´s still great, but it´s not 1993.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 24, 2006 23:33

He was barely able to remember the words to "Happy" in the 70s and 80's! In fact, when you listen to shows from that era, singing into the mic was at times a bit of a novelty..

theres no doubt that Keith's technique, ability and confidence when singing onstage with the Stones improved dramatically from 1989 as a result of being the frontman in his own band the year before.

Date: October 24, 2006 23:43

Saw the XPensive Winos twice and really had a great time - appreciate to see them again. Keith Richards very close and intimate to see ....mmmh.....that is my hope for the future after the Stones quit touring - to get the chance to see them do their own solo stuff in small venues

BUT

right now I am still looking forward to see them again as the Rolling Stones back in Europe 2007 - YEAH - and I am VERY optimistic and prepared (not concerning my budget, but anyway) to get the ultimate kick of rock´n roll and to experience the very best highlight of my life again ........

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: October 25, 2006 00:11

Sometimes I get the feeling with people like Keith, Cohl, Jagger, etc, I get the feeling that whoever these people talk to, where ever they are, whatever situation, they are like, "Yeah, roit, yah man, great, let's get together and do something after the tour!" Like there was another thread a while ago, about Europe next summer, where the person was posting a rumor, that after that night's show, Michael Cohl was all excited and had told a local promoter somewhere in Europe that they would be back, and it would be a really big huge summer tour next summer. It's like, no offense to that person, or to the source, but in that situation, I tend to believe that Cohl or someone is gonna tell the person they're talking to whatever it is they want to hear. You know?

I can just picture it, Steve Jordan talks to Keith backstage -- Steve says "hey Keith man, I'm dying out here, you got any work for me?" And Keith is like, "yeah man let's do something! I'll call you!" Doesn't mean it's gonna happen. If you ask him if he'd ever do another record with the Wingless Angels or another Rice Crispies jingle, I bet Keith would give you a similar vague answer and it would start a bunch of wild rumors.

PS I saw the Winos twice, including Beacon Theater. Really great show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-25 00:12 by Turning To Gold.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 25, 2006 00:30

Recently Jordan has been be working
pretty steady as a member of the John Mayer Trio.....

Pino Palladino...John Mayer...Steve Jordan

ROCKMAN

Date: October 25, 2006 00:41

actually, Jordan's not working with Mayer at the moment - he's been with Clapton on his 2006/07 World Tour since he last played with Mayer.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 25, 2006 00:43

Thanks Tod....interesting...that guy gets around

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: October 25, 2006 00:44

I only got into the Winos this year, but I'd definitely pay to see them now that I know about them. It'd be a good show, especially if it came out on the heels of a new album

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 25, 2006 11:49

saw them play constitution hall in washington, dc '92 - they went over their curfew time and the venue pulled the electricity on them! keith just shook people's hands while the drummer played on!!!

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: October 25, 2006 11:55

Who's John Mayer?, thats quite a rhythm section he has there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home