Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jimmy Saville at the Roundhay gig
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 24, 2006 11:59

Just reflecting upon that great gig back in 1982 at Roundhay park.It's close to my home and I always like a stroll around,and it still brings back some great memories.But what I seem to remember is Jimmy Saville been there.I did a bootleg of the show and I Know that the final introduction is not done by him.Yet I remember him sat on the side of the stage for the whole gig,and seem to remember him addressing the audience at some point before the guys came on.Can anybody out there please shed light on this?Is there a bootleg out there with the Saville introduction?Many thanks.What a gig it was!

Re: Jimmy Saville at the Roundhay gig
Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: October 24, 2006 12:15

I think Jimmy Saville still lives close to Roundhay Park in Leeds.

He will be 80 years old on the 30th October. A real character.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 24, 2006 13:03

He's on TV reports from the day. I don't remember him introducing any one.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: October 24, 2006 13:35

I think his introduction went something like this:

"Now then now then ladies and gentlemen, ah-ha ah-ha ah-ha, as it 'appens, would you believe, the faboulous, Rolling Stones...!!"

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: October 24, 2006 13:38

I don,t remember him being there.

What were you smoking stargroover?

anyway i guess if he fixed it for you thats all that matters.

Keith was awsome imo that day.

I was back in newcastle for last orders. I had a fast bike!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 24, 2006 13:39

followed by :-
"ow's about that then?...jingle jangle- jingle jangle"

Posted by: Leeds82 ()
Date: October 24, 2006 13:40

..I was FOS in the "crush" up against the fence..Sir Jimmy was to my left and chatting to members of the crowd including myself..I have no recollection of introducing the band..and he doesn't feature in the bootlegs i have of the day..but it was a long time ago..so memory might, hell is, a bit hazy!

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: October 24, 2006 13:46

Adrian, i don't know what you do for a living, but have you ever thought of starting a clip-art business, as you seem to have a photo / image for every occasion! I'm impressed!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: October 24, 2006 14:01

the first time i ran the London Marathon, i passed Jimmy at about the half way mark... he was surrounded by about 10 'minders' who were all good runners, who were virtually carrying him, around the course....lazy old sod.

He was wearing his trademark shellsuit, loads of chunky gold jewellery, and smoking this huge cuban cigar, lol.

I'm happy to report , he didn't pass me and i beat him to the finish.lol

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:07

Considering he must be more than twice your age, was weighed down by jewellery and was smoking at the time, you consider that an accomplishment? LOL

Date: October 24, 2006 14:17

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Considering he must be more than twice your age,
> was weighed down by jewellery and was smoking at
> the time, you consider that an accomplishment? LOL

about 3 times my age! and he was getting manhandled around!
- a brush with 'greatness' nether the less!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:19

I'm in awe at your accomplishments, Adrian...what next - "How I Beat Heather Mills McCartney at the Triple Jump" ?

Date: October 24, 2006 14:23

lol Gazza

Date: October 24, 2006 15:03

Thanks for the comments.Lol.
Captain Jack the only thing I was on that day was adrenalin.U live in Newcastle ,that was another great gig at Saint James Park!
Leeds 82 your memory seems a bit like mine!
Adrian u ran the marathon.I did it in 1990,sorry to say I also spotted Sir Jimmy running infront of me over Tower Bridge.Didn't manage to catch him up though!I had a finishing time of approx 4 hours.Still raised lots of money for charity.
Cheers !

Date: October 24, 2006 15:19

introducing the Stones 1964

Date: October 24, 2006 15:24

and there's more

introducing the Stones 1967

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: October 24, 2006 18:23

I have no recollection of Jimmy Saville sayin anything from the stage.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 24, 2006 18:44

I don't remember Jimmy saying anything at the gig.
He was interviewed by Calander TV .
My 2nd Stones show and one hell of a hot day.I think the the Stones changed for ever after this. Last gig with Stu.
Does anyone remember Keith drinking from paper covered bottles placed all over the stage ?

sc uk

Date: October 24, 2006 19:01

It was one hell of a hot day..and IMHO the last show of the classic Stones era, before they, for me, turned into stadium act with all the bells and whistles..
They were shambolic, at times sounding as if they were falling down a flight of stairs whilst still trying to play, but give me that over the slick productions they deliver now..

I managed to keep my camera with me all day and Ron threw some great poses when he realised or noticed i was taking pictures of him..sadly my car got screwed a few years later and my photo album was stolen..tip..never keep the negatives in your album!!

There are clips from the gig officially available at the end of Rewind.

The bootlegs suffer from the fact that on the day it was quite blustery, so they had to turn the wick right up and the guys taping must have been at the back of the crowd..

Classic day out..Micks birthday..and dear Stu's last "official" show..Never the same sadly..But still the canine's Undercarrige of all bands!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 24, 2006 19:05

I remember very little of that show.
I had a really nasty bug at the time, almost didn't make it, almost went home before they came on...toughed it out and then almost didn't make it home !

All in all, a fun day out ;^) Good show. Were the support acts Joe Jackson and the J Geils band ? Blowed if I can remember!

Date: October 24, 2006 19:10

Yep..They were the support acts..and George Thorogood...Joe Jackson and his band took pictures of the crowd..saying.."we'll never play to this many people again"

Posted by: RedlandsRodge ()
Date: October 24, 2006 19:11

Yeah support was J Geils and Joe Jackson. I remember Joe taking pics of the crowd with a polaroid. Just before he did "It's Different For Girls" he said "Mick asked me if I'd do this one".

[www.world-of-keith-richards.piczo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-24 19:14 by RedlandsRodge.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 24, 2006 19:20

for years I thought Joan Jett was one of the supports,but that was Queen at leeds a few weeks earlier.

Was there a 3rd support act? It was Black Uhuru at Wembley.My memory is fading.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: October 24, 2006 19:50

I was at that gig, but I didn't see Jimmy Saville. I'm sure he lives very nearby though, maybe on the edge of the park.

I do remember Joe Jackson taking a photograph of the crowd though.......smiling smiley

Who would have thought that so many people who went to that gig on that day would be posting on IORR about it in 2006?

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: October 24, 2006 20:04

Stikkyfinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was at that gig, but I didn't see Jimmy Saville.
> I'm sure he lives very nearby though, maybe on the
> edge of the park.
>
> I do remember Joe Jackson taking a photograph of
> the crowd though.......smiling smiley
>
> Who would have thought that so many people who
> went to that gig on that day would be posting on
> IORR about it in 2006?

Yeah,Ian - I remember that.He said we all had to pose cos this was definatley the biggest crowd he was likely to play to.

Posted by: THERIFF ()
Date: October 25, 2006 12:24

THIRD SUPPORT ACT WAS GEORGE THOROGOOD & THE DESTROYERS

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 25, 2006 12:49

Christ i went to this concert and did not realise joe jackson was on, can remember the destroyers cant remember seeing j-saville & also did not realise it was stu's last concert.

I did the london marathon i think it was 87 and saw j-saville just before the start and it reminded me of watching a mafia kind of figure for some reason i did the marathon in 3.1/2 hours.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: October 26, 2006 20:43

I wonder if any of you guys remember Tony Bennet's, "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" being played over the PA System immediately after the band had left the stage.

It was the last gig of the tour, Jagger would turn 39 the following day and there was an air of resignation among the crowd as if this was THE MOMENT that it was all ending.

...not that it was of course, as it 'appens.

Date: October 26, 2006 22:00

Nice souvenier.Not sure where mine is.However I have a scarf,t shirt and sweatshirt which I bought that day.The bootleg I did was Called Rocks off at Roundhay,and I managed to get the last 2 nos of JJ Geils.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home