Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: "Brush With Greatness"
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 25, 2006 05:09

boston2006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Met Carl Yaztremski in 1970 or so

Did you really, what was he like? I like him, he seems like he has a good sense of humor, but he doesn't take bullshit either. He seems very level headed, didn't let the fame go to his head. (all my impressions)

Date: October 25, 2006 05:11

JuanTCB Wrote:

Greg Allman (in a Salem bar, Cindy!)

You're kidding? My first thought was Dodge Street, then I was thinking something more slightly upscale (compared to Dodge Street anyway), like Strega, Finz.

It wasn't the V-Bar was it? HAHAHA you might be too young to get that reference.

Posted by: bianca ()
Date: October 25, 2006 05:16

Same as Gazza. 1977, 14 years old, vacationing in England and visiting a castle, bored to tears.

A rumour started that Ali was visiting and lo and behold, he showed up with his wife (or perhaps girlfriend at the time), Veronica.

My clearest memory is his hands...completely scarred and mutilated.

It was only later that I became a big Ali fan, and wish I'd have appreciated seeing him more than I did.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 25, 2006 05:17

CindyC Wrote:
> boston2006 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Met Carl Yaztremski in 1970 or so
>
> Did you really, what was he like? I like him, he
> seems like he has a good sense of humor, but he
> doesn't take bullshit either. He seems very level
> headed, didn't let the fame go to his head. (all
> my impressions)

Yeah , I was @ Fenway Park ata game vesus who knows and Yaz got some kind of injury and was walking through the lower concourse of Fenway ( off Yawkey Way ) and I shook hands with him and told him what a great player he was . I was about 15 and swore I'd never wash that hand again . LOL

And you're right Cindy , Yaz never let his celebrity go to his head . Remember " BIG YAZ BREAD " ?

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: October 25, 2006 05:22

I passed Rod Steiger in a hallway at the O'Hare Hyatt in '98

Was in an elevator in Michigan with Peter Scolari, Tom Hanks' pal in Bosom Buddies

Got to ask a question of Jonathan Frakes, the guy who played Riker on Star Trek - The Next Generation (at a Trek Convention, no less).

Developed a brief pen-pal friendship with Jim Lovell, commander of Apollo 13. This was when I was deadset on becoming an astronaut, and had been to Space Camp twice.

My dad met James Doohan, who played Scotty on the original Trek.

Met Jeff Tweedy, lead singer of Wilco. I called him "Mr. Tweedy."

Date: October 25, 2006 05:25

boston2006 Wrote:
And you're right Cindy , Yaz never let his celebrity go to his head . Remember " BIG YAZ BREAD " ?

Big Yaz bread? No I don't remember that at all. If it was 1970 though, I would've only been 5, I probably wasn't even aware of him yet.

Later on in the mid-late 70's my little brother's bedroom was literally covered with anything and everything Yaz related. I think there is still a trunk of yellowed newspapers from when he hit his record-breaking career homerun (I can't remember the #, was it 4,000)? Apparently celebrity worship runs in the family.

Date: October 25, 2006 05:27

Jumpin'JackFrash Wrote:
I passed Rod Steiger in a hallway at the O'Hare Hyatt in '98

Did you sing "poor Judd is dead" when you passed him?

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: October 25, 2006 05:34

It was more of a "we figured it out two minutes later that it was Rod Steiger" moment.

Date: October 25, 2006 05:34

Big Yaz Bread was made by Wonder Bakeries ( I think ) during The Triple Crown Season in 1967 . You were 3 I'm guessing by your previous response . If you can get a hold of a LP called " The Impossible Dream " you would really like it . Lots of radio excerpts from legendary broadcaster Ken Coleman with highlights fron the 1967 IMPOSSIBLE DREAM SEASON . I'm guessing you're a RED SOX fan ?

I loved Fever Pitch w/ Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore ..

Date: October 25, 2006 05:40

boston2006 Wrote:
I'm guessing you're a RED SOX fan ?

Yeah, they will always be the team that I root for, but I really don't follow any sport that much.

Luckily I did follow them during the 75 season though, it was an amazing year to be a Red Sox fan, and not just because of the world series, the regular season was really exciting too. Plus I was ten and just starting to have crushes on boys. Freddie Lynn was my big crush, one sister loved Dwight Evans, and my other one loved Carlton Fisk.

The impossible dream, that sounds really familiar, my father must have it.

Date: October 25, 2006 05:50

Ask you Dad if he remembers Ken Colemans radio call of Jose Tartabull throwing a man out at Home Plate . Tartabull had a notorious weak arm and it was quite the surpirise to all of New England when he did this . Times were different then . Not as many distractions . I was enrolled in a Catholic Grammar school and we listened to the World Series during class . With the Nuns cheering as mubch as the kids were . Great Fun . Ask your Dad , his eyes will light up . I guarantee it !!

Date: October 25, 2006 05:54

Will do!

Date: October 25, 2006 06:00

let me know his reaction

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: October 25, 2006 06:05

Cindy - Dodge St. it was! I think he has or had a summer house in Marblehead - this must've been around '94 or '95.

He was hammered and buying everyone who approached him drinks. He was a really nice guy and definitely seemed like the professional drinker type.

I love how this thread veered towards Big Yaz bread. I got a jar of Pedro salsa in '99 and swore that I wouldn't eat it until they wont it all - I figured they'd do it in '00 or '01 (ha!), not five years later. I didn't want to ruin the moment with botulism, so I passed. It still resides on my bookshelf.

Date: October 25, 2006 06:08

Save that sucker , someone , someday will pay for it on ebay

Date: October 25, 2006 06:12

JuanTCB Wrote:
Cindy - Dodge St. it was! I think he has or had a summer house in Marblehead - this must've been around '94 or '95.

HAHA too funny! I used to go there a lot in 95 (that was they year I moved out of NYC) we used to see a guy named Barbeque Bob who played there a lot.

I missed out on the Pedro salsa, but I still dream about the Reggie Jackson candy bars. Those were the best candy bars I've ever had, it had the best carmel. Sigh! You know you're old when food makes you swoon. Wearing a girdle and saying things like "Honestly!" can't be too far in my future!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 25, 2006 06:28

This thread is too much! Love the Ali stories especially the Joe Louis reference etc.

Tony Curtis story was another hilarious moment in "Brushes" Also the Ian Anderson tale.

Cindy C's kid sounds wonderful. Obviously destined for greatness. Does he have some favorite Stones songs? How does he handle some of those lyrics?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 25, 2006 06:46

I've sat and had a decent conversation with Woody Harrelson (he was biking from seattle to LA, lecturing about energy conservation at universities along the Pacific Coast - I met him when he was planting a tree at Hearst Castle).

I've partied with David Lindley and also attended a funeral-weekend (which included partying) with Roddy Bottom, keyboardist of Faith No More (great band).

Had a short conversation with James Cromwell at the Forum show last Spring.

Other than the stones, i've a bizarre collection of meeting celebs in passing, which include:

the Ramones ('89 lineup)
Mickey Hart

Wavy Gravy
Mickey Dolenz (he wouldn't let go of my hand)
Perry Como
Dave Mustaine
Linda Blair
Allen Ginsberg

I have talked on the phone with Casey Kasem, with Kevin Nealon, and with a sister of Joaquin and River Phoenix.

I embarassed myself once by interrupting John Cusack's conversation.

Eddie Murphy and Danny Bonaduce have each made fun of me during stand-up comedy acts.

I went to high school with several now-famous people.

Date: October 25, 2006 08:06

stonesrule Wrote:
Cindy C's kid sounds wonderful. Obviously destined for greatness. Does he have some favorite Stones songs? How does he handle some of those lyrics?

Satisfaction is his favorite to sing, but he also likes JJF. For questionable lyrics, I distract him with hugs, kisses, or tickles, that seems to do the trick.

Thanks BTW! He is rather awesome. I'm madly in love with him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-25 08:07 by CindyC.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 25, 2006 08:26

CindyC Wrote:

> I missed out on the Pedro salsa, but I still dream
> about the Reggie Jackson candy bars. Those were
> the best candy bars I've ever had, it had the best
> carmel.

Those Reggie bars were great. Too bad they only lasted a short time. Probably the only round candy bar I have ever eaten.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 25, 2006 12:06

Jumpin'JackFrash Wrote:
> I passed Rod Steiger in a hallway at the O'Hare
> Hyatt in '98
>

I would imagine that was quite painful.....

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 25, 2006 13:08

Meet gavin hastings <scotland rugby captain at that time> on holiday in gran canaria and was a really nice guy also his brother and whilst we was watching an annual road race also had my photo taken with ingrid christisson <womens world record holder for marathon> and dave moorcroft.

Spoke to bobby keys in manchester who was also very pleasant, gary holten now sadly passed away from the heavy metal kids and the lead singer from split enz who name escapes me, astro from ub40, various footballers & cricketers over the years & just recently the england cricket team who were staying at the same hotel as us for the stones concert in cardiff.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 25, 2006 13:11

Bringing up the sports theme I remember that I got a medal hung around my neck by a soccer player that's currently on the Danish national team. My team had won some football cup. It was back in 1996. So we got the medals by the player Martin Jørgensen.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 25, 2006 13:35

odean73 Wrote:
> gary holten now sadly passed away
> from the heavy metal kids

Aka Wayne from Auf Wiedersehen Pet

and the lead singer from
> split enz who name escapes me,

Neil Finn (also Crowded House, and solo)

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 25, 2006 13:38

Yeh thats the one & he promised he would leave some tickets by the door for the concert due in a few hours, obviously he forgot!! many years ago

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 25, 2006 13:51

some highlights (2nd 'low'light)

shaked hands with keith
bumped onto charlie (sorry about that tongue sticking out smiley)
shaked hands with ronnie
touched bowie's right foot

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: dj ()
Date: October 25, 2006 13:52

Gazza Wrote:
> Jumpin'JackFrash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I passed Rod Steiger in a hallway at the O'Hare
> > Hyatt in '98
> >
>
> I would imagine that was quite painful.....

LOL. Wondering if anyone picked up on this one.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 25, 2006 13:54

MononoM Wrote:
> some highlights (2nd 'low'light)
>
> shaked hands with keith
> bumped onto charlie (sorry about that tongue sticking out smiley)
> shaked hands with ronnie
> touched bowie's right foot

Aren't you forgetting that Keith talked to you from the stage in Horsens? :-)

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: October 25, 2006 14:13

I met Bill, Roger Moore, Pink and Darth Vader.

Would love to meet Dylan...maybe on the next european Tour

Date: October 25, 2006 16:17

FrankM Wrote:
Those Reggie bars were great. Too bad they only lasted a short time. Probably the only round candy bar I have ever eaten.

Yeah, it was a funny shape for a candy bar. Not too many people seem to remember it, but those that do, always say how great it was.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home