Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I met the Rolling Stones in Austin last night!
Posted by: thistrain ()
Date: October 24, 2006 00:36

At 6pm yesterday I met Mick, Keith, Ronnie, and Charlie backstage before their concert in Austin. There were 2 meet and greets, one for Radio Shack VIP and one for record label/radio stations/contest winners. I fell in the latter category. They took us by rented van to the backstage area where we waited for about 45 minutes and snacked on pretzels, candy, wine, and beer. Deciding to make use of their bathroom facilities, instead of encountering port-o-potties I found a posh trailer with Kohler sinks and a toilet so fancy it needed a manual to flush. And this wasn't even their restrooms.

Once back inside the tent, we were instructed there would be no autographs or personal photos allowed. They have a professional photographer that would be taking our pictures and emailing it in a couple of weeks. They split us up into groups of 10 and lined us up against a sheet with the tour logo and Radio Shack emblem.

The band entered the Radio Shack tent first and you could hear that group of 20 people applaud loudly but couldn't see anything. After shaking hands and posing for photos it was our turn. Our guide told us we needed to be louder than the last group so when they walked through the curtain we let loose. My first thought was "holy shit, its the Rolling Stones." I've seen them in concert 7 times before, listened to countless DVDs, CDs, etc but it doesn't compare to seeing them face to face. Its sort of like Mount Rushmore coming alive and the 4 legends walking right in front of you.

Mick looked amazing up close, he had on a long lavender shirt and a huge smile on his face. Just stunning to see up close. He shook each person's hand and said a quick 'how you doin?'. When it came to my turn all I could muster was 'you're the greatest.' Slightly cheesy sounding but what else can you say about Mick Jagger?

Ron was immediately after him and looked just like he usually does. I've met Ian McLagan several times as he lives here in Austin and plays a regular happy hour gig so this was like meeting his more-famous brother in a way. All I had time for was "thanks for coming to Austin."

Then came the real "holy shit" moment. Keith Richards is shaking my brother's hand and I'm next. He looks like a movie star up close, like the Jack Nicholson of Rock. Nobody looks more cool than Keith Richards, Johhny Cash notwithstanding. I shake his hand and say something like 'thanks for coming to Austin' but was just in awe. My mind started thinking about everything he and Mick have accomplished and all the amazing guitar licks he created. The lick in Satisfaction alone is enough to establish him as a legend, not to mention Honky Tonk Women, JJ Flash, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, and on and on. It was a major moment.

Once Keith shook my hand, I was immediately forgotten though. He noticed this stunning blonde standing next to me and said "I have to meet this blonde." Then he did just that and gave her a big hug. Yep, it was Keith Richards all right. I hope he outlives us all.

Finally, we noticed that Charlie was on the other side of us but we didn't get to meet him at first. We extended our arms and shook his hand and blathered something short. He seemed very polite but a bit shy or reserved. The band then stood in front of us and posed for the photo. Mick did a cool rock star pose and it was done.

We then saw them meet the other group of ten people and pose for their photo, which looked great from our view point. It was all very surreal and fast, lasting about 2 minutes total, but like someone said, 'the best 2 minutes of your life.' My brother and I were very lucky to meet them, I thought about the thousands and thousands of fans that would die for that chance.

Then they were gone and we applauded once again. The show itself was truly awesome and we were told ahead of time they would be filming it for DVD release. Mick mentioned it as well. We got 21 songs, 3 covers, 2 world premieres, and 2 hours of the World's Greatest Rock n Roll Band. Meeting them was the icing before the cake, something that will be impossible to ever top.

Thanks for reading,
Tom

Re: I met the Rolling Stones in Austin last night!
Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: October 24, 2006 00:41

Great story! Congratulations!

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: October 24, 2006 00:44

Sounds like a very special experience BUT don't like how fast and rule filled it is. Well, that's the way it is, congrats, you sound like you enjoyed it and that's what matters....

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: October 24, 2006 00:44

Pretty awesome amigo. Though I wouldn't want any of the Stones to outlive me.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: October 24, 2006 01:20

...... bizarrrr

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 24, 2006 01:21

Very Cool

Posted by: bianca ()
Date: October 24, 2006 02:15

Tom- sincere thanks for your account of meeting the boys. A few thoughts spring to mind:

What must it be like to be Mick Jagger? Everyone he has met for the last 40 years is complete awe.

Everyone wonders why they soldier on and some wonder if its only the money. I don't think so. I think they sincerely love the adulation, and they enjoy giving people "WHOLLY ***" moments. Perhaps I'm naive.

Posted by: Marianella ()
Date: October 24, 2006 02:49

What A TRIP! TOTAL AWE! WOW *_*

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 24, 2006 03:24

Are you a girl or a little gay for Mick? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 24, 2006 03:27

Special experience, indeed

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 24, 2006 03:37

Great story, I'm jealous.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 24, 2006 03:50

I would take 2 mins. Though I am not sure I could come up with anything more articulate than you did, when face to face with the Stones.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: October 24, 2006 04:18

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it...but I never understood the fascination with meeting famous people. I mean if Keef & I were having some drinks & shooting the shit...that would be great. However, I just don't get the autograph craze, or shaking hands or whatever. If you share a moment...that's awesome...but if it's just "I touched so n so"...eh...not my cup o' tea.

Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: October 24, 2006 05:10

AWESOME!!!! Congrats!!!! I want to meet them too dammit!!!

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 24, 2006 05:54

You are a lucky guy. Congrats to you!!!!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 24, 2006 06:02

J.J.Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you a girl or a little gay for Mick? Not that
> there's anything wrong with that.

..not sure if your post is naive, mean or both?

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 24, 2006 07:40

Great story. So few of us will ever get to meet the Stones face to face but through your highly detailed story we can all experience it to some degree.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 24, 2006 08:00

was everyone associated with Radio Shack there? or just a few executives?? i must wonder because i could've gotten a vip pass. did i miss the opportunity of a lifetime???????

i had front row on the corner of the catwalk, though. best seat in the house.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:36

Great story Tom. Thanks and congratulations

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:40

Nice.
If anyone has a bad thing to say about this story, it is because they are jealous.
Rock ON!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:40

Lucky guy. I'm happy for you...

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:42

Nice event, thistrain!

But: "Once Keith shook my hand, I was immediately forgotten though. He noticed this stunning blonde standing next to me and said "I have to meet this blonde." Then he did just that and gave her a big hug. Yep, it was Keith Richards all right."

- Keith Richards, 60+, I'd say..... ;-)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:51

Kurt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice.
> If anyone has a bad thing to say about this story,
> it is because they are jealous.
>

Correct. And so are those of us who are saying good things too!!

Regardless of whether its the ideal scenario for meeting the band, its still a great thrill for any fan. I can understand (and agree to some extent) what some people say about not being overwhelmed by the presence of a 'celebrity', but for fans like us the Stones arent 'merely' celebrities in the sense that Madonna, Elton or some film star are 'celebrities'. Its more personal than that when their work has been a significant part of your life.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:55

thanks for sharing- it'll stay with you forever

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:59

Just see to there aint any blond bombshell behind ya
the day you get to see Keith...

I love it when people share these stories!
Happy for ya, thistrain! And envious, no doubt.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 24, 2006 15:01

Great story! An amazing two minutes of your life yawning smiley)

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 24, 2006 15:13

Great story.Sorry u were not allowed autographs.I have actually met all the Stones individually over the years,and managed autographs.However never got photos with them.Welldone!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 24, 2006 15:14

Great moment and yes i am jealous!!

Posted by: thistrain ()
Date: October 24, 2006 18:28

Thanks for the nice compliments all. One thing I forgot to mention is that meeting all of them happened in rapid succession, literally one right after the other. There wasn't time to pause and think what to say to each member before the next one was greeting you. It made it very surreal, like going down a greeting line at a wedding or graduation ceremony, only much more intense.

I went to see Ian McLagan later that night at the Continental Club and saw Bernard Fowler going in a side entrance. Ironically I wanted to go meet him as I thought it would be the closest I'd ever get to meeting a Stone. Somehow the whole event hadn't really sunk in yet, even though I was telling everyone I met about it and showing them my backstage pass. Ron didn't show up at Ian's show unfortunately, even though alot of fans were hoping it would happen. Bernard greeted Ian between a song but didn't perform with him that night like he did in Houston 12/1/05. Supposedly Ron showed up at Antones during Joe Ely's set but didn't perform there either.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 24, 2006 19:41

did anyone here see Ron at Antone's? i was there but didn't see him. that doesn't mean he wasn't there though...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home