Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT- Genesis Tour 2007
Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 7, 2006 19:17

Hm, it appears that Ray Wilson, who had replaced Phil Collins after his departure from Genesis as their new singer, wasn't accepted by their American fan crowd, so Genesis called it quits after their last album in the late 1990s. The other two remaining members also had solo careers. Mike Rutherford has been the boss of his own band Mike and the Mechanics since the mid-1980s, and they've had regular chart entries. Tony Banks had a less popular solo career.
With both his marriage and solo career in limbo, it seems that Phil Collins has chosen to go back to basics, which is in his case getting back to playing in a group with Banks and Rutherford. Both Rutherford and Banks released their previous albums in 2004, so they were probably considering what to do next when Collins appeared on the scene again.

But without a new album, this can only be a Greatest Hits tour. The big question:
Will Phil sing the singles the band had without him, 'Congo' and 'Shipwrecked' (no pun intended) ?

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: November 7, 2006 19:39

The tickets for Genesis in Poland are quite cheap I must say. 110PLN for the field which is about 27 EUR at the moment. The cheapest tickets for the Stones were 175 PLN and 210 for FOS. With those prices they shouldn't have trouble filling the stadiums...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 7, 2006 19:53

I am a big fan of Genesis. Any time they tour I will go and see them. Loved the original band with Peter Gabriel. Loved Gabriel solo. Loved Hackett. Loved them when they went into "Then they were three". And I have seen Mike and The Mechanics twice at Shepherds Bush Empire. Great indeed. But by the time the Stones are finished touring, I suppose all I can afford to spend on a Genesis ticket is pocket money in my home city... PS. I don't expect Peter Gabriel to ever tour with Genesis again. And I would rather see him on his own than with Genesis. He grew out of them, genious as he is.

Bjornulf

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 7, 2006 20:01

I love Genesis with Gabriel but would not touch them with a 10 ft pole w/o him. Was totallyt elated when it looked like they were going to reform for some shows. Gabriel is such a gentleman that he will never give the Collins line-up anything but great praise. Truth is that w/o him they became something different. Even the first albums right aftre the split, whne the music was still somehat reminiscent of the great days, are a big step down IMO becasue they lost the lyrical edge. The poetry and vision of Gabriel was such a major part. Banks's lyrics are nothing short of embarrsassing, Collins is pedantic and literal, and Mike is too weak.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:04

Nicely put ChelseaDrugstore

Myself a big Gabriel fan....I stopped liking Genesis after the Duke album and since Collins wasen't in the line-up anymore did catch 'em on the Stations tour and I quite enjoyed it.

Think I'll be on the Parc des Prices on June 30th...Hope I don't regret it.

BTW, anyone catch them on the Lamb tour? I remember most people didn't understood it (me included) but anyway was great being there.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 8, 2006 00:00

Peter Gabriel will not be part of this after all. Too bad.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 8, 2006 01:51

Here's my Peter Gabriel story:

In 1994, when I was still living in NYC, I went to see Manu Dibango of "Soul Makossa" fame at a little club called S.O.B.'s. I caught the first set, but did not stay for the second set. The next day, I found out that Peter Gabriel had been in the club and had joined him onstage for a "Biko" encore at the end of the second set. SHIT!! I had been right there! Right in front of the stage! Well, Dibango was playing S.O.B.'s again the next night, so I went to see him again. I stayed for both sets, enduring no less than FIVE separate performances of "Soul Makossa". No Gabriel. There WAS an encore, though, and the crowd went WILD when some African guy came out smiling a great deal and occasionally beating on a drum while Dibango did his fifth "Soul Makossa" of the night. I have no idea who he was. I was afraid to ask anyone because he was obviously VERY famous and I didn't want to look like an idiot. I just started jumping around and dancing and acting real happy, like everyone else around me, like this was one of the greatest things that had ever happened. I wonder who he was ....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-08 02:02 by tatters.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: November 8, 2006 06:49

Are you guys serious? You actually like Genesis? ....please, the lamb no longer lies on Broadway.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 8, 2006 06:53

God Phil Collins is one of the lamest! I can't stand him or Genesis with Collins. Now Peter Gabriel is another story! He is flipping awesome! So no interest here for anything to do with a Phill Collins/Genesis! EEEK!

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: November 8, 2006 07:11

Selling England by the Pound is a top 5 all times best album. A reformation would be nice...

I saw Peter Gabriel at the MSG a few years ago, great concert. I wouldn't say the same about Mike & the Mechanics...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-08 07:14 by micwer.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 8, 2006 15:30

Most expensive tickets in Amsterdam: 59€. And only a few concerts.
With Genesis al least you know it's NOT about the money.
As Phil said: we are already rich. That's the right attitude IMO

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: November 8, 2006 16:18

Phil Collins is the absolute opposite of rock & roll IMO

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 8, 2006 16:19

shedooby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phil Collins is the absolute opposite of rock &
> roll IMO

Yeah, agree.

Posted by: Monty5 ()
Date: November 8, 2006 17:05

Genesis produced excellent music, however after their 1983 album, this was no longer the case. Didn't like the 1986 album and only liked a few cuts from the '91 effort.

Having Gabriel on tour was a stretch. Would have considered seeing them if Hackett were on board.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: November 8, 2006 20:23

Tickets Germany prices: 64 - 98 Euro

[www.getgo.de]

TERMINE:

Fr., 15.06.07 Hamburg, AOL Arena
Sa., 23.06.07 Hannover, AWD-Arena
Di., 26.06.07 Düsseldorf, LTU-Arena
Fr., 29.06.07 Stuttgart, Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion
Di., 03.07.07 Berlin, Olympiastadion
Mi., 04.07.07 Leipzig, Zentralstadion
Do., 05.07.07 Frankfurt, Commerzbank Arena
Di., 10.07.07 München, Olympiastadion

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 8, 2006 21:01

I´d never go to see that crap.
Not even a slice of Rock ´n´Roll!

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: November 9, 2006 01:06

I once had a free ticket to see Phil Collins on his 1997 tour. My roommate won 2 tickets from a radio contest but neither of us cared enough to go. Point being that Collins wasn't a huge hit with the college crowd back then.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 9, 2006 04:31

I'd rather have my fingernails ripped off with plyers than see this reunion.

Posted by: beast of burgk ()
Date: November 9, 2006 16:12

satisfaction2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tickets Germany prices: 64 - 98 Euro
>
> [www.getgo.de]
>
> TERMINE:
>
> Fr., 15.06.07 Hamburg, AOL Arena
> Sa., 23.06.07 Hannover, AWD-Arena
> Di., 26.06.07 Düsseldorf, LTU-Arena
> Fr., 29.06.07 Stuttgart,
> Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion
> Di., 03.07.07 Berlin, Olympiastadion
> Mi., 04.07.07 Leipzig, Zentralstadion
> Do., 05.07.07 Frankfurt, Commerzbank Arena
> Di., 10.07.07 München, Olympiastadion

Thank god... they play in Leipzig, not Dresden. That makes a Stones show in Dresden even more realistic because two major Rock acts in the same 500.000 town within a few weeks would rival each other.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 10, 2006 18:51

I read in the paper that they should do one date in Stade Gerland ( Lyon - France ) after selling out Parc des Princes in Paris in 4 days. Hope it will give some ideas to The Stones for Lyon as, I suppose, they could do as well as Genesis in terms of audience in this town.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: December 10, 2006 19:00

I'm going to the show at the collesium in rome, its free!! maybe the stones should think about that.

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: December 10, 2006 19:42

Good ticket sales so far. Seems they will play 8(!) big stadium sell-outs in Germany. Well, after a long break and at reasonable ticket prices this is not a big surprise to me. The good news is that they will NOT play all seated stadiums but there will be general admission on the pitch. So there's hope the Stones will not try this next summer.

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: December 10, 2006 19:49

Just found out they added an extra show in Düsseldorf - that means 9 (!) stadium shows in Germany (so far).

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: December 10, 2006 21:47

Why are they allowed to keep the name? Once upon a time there was a band called Genesis which is not the case anymore. After Gabriel and Hackett left it was something completely different. Why not "Phil and the Mechanics"?

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 12, 2006 15:40

Phil Collins and The News ???

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home