Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Surviving Doors members to kick off 40th anniversary celebration next month
Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: October 20, 2006 20:39

The surviving members of the Doors will come together in West Hollywood next month to kick off a celebration of the band's 40th anniversary. Drummer John Densmore, guitarist Robby Krieger, and keyboardist Ray Manzarek will be at the Whisky A Go Go on November 8th, when the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame presents the club with a "Landmark Plaque" to mark the venue's importance in rock history.

While at the Whisky, Krieger will host a listening party for the upcoming Doors box set called Perception, which comes out November 21st and features six CDs and six DVDs with music, photos, video footage, and lyrics, among other bonuses. Manzarek will be next door to the Whisky at The Cat Club for a preview of the Rock Hall exhibit Break On Through - The Lasting Legacy Of The Doors, which opens in Cleveland on May 25th, 2007, with original manuscripts, photos, concert posters, and video. And Densmore will be down the block at Book Soup for a memorial reading of the late Jim Morrison's poetry by Jane's Addiction leader Perry Farrell and others.

Krieger, Densmore, and Manzarek will also be signing copies of the authorized Doors biography titled The Doors By The Doors, which comes out November 7th, and the book will be available at each member's location.

The three stops on the Sunset Strip are significant in Doors history -- the band made its debut at The London Fog, which is now The Cat Club; Book Soup was the site of the former Cinematheque 16 movie house, where Morrison read poetry and did acoustic versions of Doors songs with Krieger; and the Whisky is where they rose to fame.

Re: OT: Surviving Doors members to kick off 40th anniversary celebration next month
Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: October 20, 2006 21:02

stonesfan70, I have a question. I read about this a while back and if I recall the CD's and DVD's are remastered versions of all the released albums (DVD audio and all that) and in reality, not much,if ANY new, alternative, or unrealesed stuff what so ever. What do you know about that? Is there ANY new stuff on all those discs or just a rehash? Also, didn't The Whiskey kick out the band for playing the raunchy version of THE END? I love the Doors but this over and over recycling of released material is getting REALLY OLD...fill me in por favor, MB

Re: OT: Surviving Doors members to kick off 40th anniversary celebration next month
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 20, 2006 22:51

I have only one question:
Why the hell are they celebrating their 40th anniversary one year too late,
as they were formed already in 1965???

And one suggestion: Get back to Ray's original proposal as vocalist -
Mr James Osterberg a.k.a Iggy Pop!

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: October 20, 2006 22:54

Sorry, not a Doors expert although I do enjoy their music. I saw this posted on rollingstone.com and thought some of you guys would be interested.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 20, 2006 22:56

I'd be interested as well to know more about this box set. They already released a box set a few years back and Ray Manzarek and Kreiger seem to have been cashing in on the Doors name for many years now with nothing really new being released.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: October 20, 2006 22:57

>Why the hell are they celebrating their 40th anniversary one year too late,
as they were formed already in 1965???<

I imagine because of their legal dispute (Densmore vs. the two others), that delayed this "forced anniversary".
I know nothing else on this matter.
Glad they burried the hatchet. Three fantastic musicians!

Date: October 20, 2006 22:59

Of course nice to see John in. Alas James wont be there.

Thanks for news anyway! :-)

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 20, 2006 23:07

What a joke, this is nothing new at all. Here is all the info about the box set, the other box set they released a few years back at least had a few treats on it.

[www.highfidelityreview.com]

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: October 20, 2006 23:16

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have only one question:
> Why the hell are they celebrating their 40th
> anniversary one year too late,
> as they were formed already in 1965???

They are celebrating the 40th anniversary of their becoming recording artists, in which they first started recording in the fall of 1966, and the release of their first album, which was in early 1967. They are starting in November to be able to get the new product out (the book, the reissued cds) in time for the holiday shopping season.

Their manager Jeff Jampol would like to put the 3 guys on stage in selected cities in 2007, but I don't see that happening, as Ray and Robbie are going out on the road again as Riders On the Storm in late December for a few weeks of European dates and John does not appear to have any desire to perform with the other 2, despite his winning the court case.

Date: October 20, 2006 23:50

On the last box set there are some tracks from 65, let go demos.
Seems pretty constructed if ya ask me, with this 40th anniversary now.

Date: October 21, 2006 00:02

BTW besides I wish all folks out there who still havent heard the Doors
will enjoy their unique style and revolutionairy output.

[Myself I spent one year making interpretations of Morrisons writing
and another good 1½ year of touring with a rhythmic, physical, poetic
band around Scandinavia. For a while I even was consulted as a kind of
Morrison and (atleast domestic) Doors-expert (15 years ago) ]

Ironic, now when they'd need Iggy again, after 35 years,
he's once again busy with the Stooges....

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: October 21, 2006 02:09

It's sad that the three guys cannot make it onto the same stage. I am also a big Doors fan and I would really like to see them together on stage. This is interesting though that they are communicating and arranging this kind of "Doors Event" together. Maybe there is some possibility that they will end up on the same stage one day in the future. The only one of the four original members I have seen is Jimbo, well I ony saw his headstone. I did talk to him but he did not answer, I think he was dead or something...

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: October 21, 2006 02:20

Living in L.A., it's been pretty easy to meet the 3 remaining Doors members over the years and I'm looking forward to this event on November 8th. Here's the dates for their upcoming tour by Ray and Robbie with Ian Astbury under the new group name Riders On The Storm:

December 2006

12/29/06 Clyde Auditorium
Glasgow, Scotland

12/30/06 Roundhouse
London, England

12/31/06 Roundhouse
London, England

January 2007

01/02/07 Civic
Wolverhampton, England

01/03/07 Apollo
Manchester, England

01/04/07 Heineken Music Hall
Amsterdam, Netherlands

01/06/07 Vega
Copenhagen, Denmark

01/07/07 Rockefellar
Oslo, Norway

01/09/07 Elizabeth Hall
Antwerp, Belgium

01/10/07 Volkhaus
Zurich, Switzerland

01/12/07 Polideportivo Gasca
San Sebastion, Spain

01/13/07 Coliseum
Lisbon, Portugal

01/15/07 Peristeri Arena
Athens, Greece

I've seen a few shows by these guys and while I would prefer that John Densmore be on stage with them, I've really enjoyed the shows and would recommend that Doors fans see the.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: October 21, 2006 02:24

Auwraait, Oslo and Copenhagen is not that long way from where I live, just an hour or two in the air and I'm there. Need to have a serious discussion with my bank account on this onesmiling smiley

Thanks a million for this info

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: October 21, 2006 02:25

Sure is fine a nostalgy act.
I loved Morrison & I love Astbury,
but sorry they just dont work for me.
Sofar he has been too much into "being (like) Jim".
Will try to stay away from the Doors threads,
because generally I dont want to bash other people taste.

Please post reviews along the way, this is really intricately
connected with the Stones.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 21, 2006 08:57

There's enough Morrison live footage around that the Doors could do what was done with "Elvis--The Tour!" a few years back: the 3 of them play live on stage, and Morrison's isolated vocals are run along as his image is projected on a screen.

I know it sounds awful, but I saw the Elvis show with James Burton and the TCB band and it was actually great!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 21, 2006 12:11

Hound Dog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd be interested as well to know more about this
> box set. They already released a box set a few
> years back and Ray Manzarek and Kreiger seem to
> have been cashing in on the Doors name for many
> years now with nothing really new being released.

A handful of unreleased alternative mixes, demos (i.e: a 1966 version of Indian Summer) and a few live tracks. Nothing essential. Besides, I can't imagine te remasters will be any different to the ones that are currently available. I prefer the old Doors box set - all those lovely replica sleeves, an additional disc of rarities. Seems shoddy reissuing the albums in a format most people a). don't have and b). aren't getting into.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home