Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick & Keith writing style etc...
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 18, 2006 02:13

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Mick & Keith work together like Lennon and McCartney, My understanding is that Lennon & McCartney worked almost completely independently of each other and performed their own songs on Beatles albums.

On the other hand...I am of the understanding that Keith and Mick do much more collaborating and writing in the studio together...more jamming w/the band and searching for catchy riffs etc....while Mick and/or Keith ad lib vocals. Later Mick refines the lyrics for the songs he'll sing etc.... We've seen examples of this in the Symp for the Devil video and other "behind the scenes..in the studio" video clips. (and on studio outtake bootlegs)

Question: What songs does Mick sing that Keith actually wrote all or most the lyrics for?? Didn't Keith write Ruby Tuesday (lyrics & music) at the piano?
Am I mistaken?

Re: Mick & Keith writing style etc...
Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 18, 2006 03:58

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" sounds like a keith lyric to me, in how the logic connecting the lines is not very direct.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: October 18, 2006 04:07

the highlight of their writing partnership comes in songs where keith writes the main riff (or all of the music) and the chorus, and then mick will write the rest of the lyrics. you end up getting a sort of dual meaning, keith meaning one thing when he wrote the chorus, mick interpreting it a different way. examples of this are satisfaction, wild horses, beast of burden, maybe angie also. (there's a quote like this on timeisonourside.com, on one of the track talk pages). something tells me keith wrote most of gimme shelter and ruby tuesday but i don't really know. he definitley wrote all of 'connection.' very keith-like. he seems to have more word-play, etc. but overall, i think mick writes the vast majority of lyrics.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 18, 2006 12:20

Apart from the great knee-to-knee stuff on ABB they have some good songs made by themselves. RJ is pure simplistic Keith and Biggest Mistake is pure Mick's poppy song.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: October 21, 2006 01:11

You know, there is Mick, who has a song idea, that goes 'da da da'. And Keith has also an idea that goes 'da da da'. Put the parts together and you have a Jagger/Richards-song. That's it, folks!

;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-21 01:11 by Pokalheld.

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: October 21, 2006 01:14

You can sometimes listen to some songs and say "Yeah that was definitely a Mick song" or "that was a Keith song" - but let's not forget - Mick wrote Brown Sugar. Mick wrote When The Whip Comes Down. They can both write so many songs in so many different styles

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 21, 2006 01:24

Better wear a peanut shell!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home